getting ready for a half (Read 725 times)

What kind of Miles-per-Week should I try to build up to to get ready for my first HM in October?
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October

an amazing likeness

My personal experience is that I try to be steadily and comfortably at 35 - 45 or 50 miles/week heading into a half marathon if I'm trying to really "race" it. ("race" is in quotes because I'm a middle-aged recreational runner and my version of "race" may be different than yours) At this mileage, my long runs are generally comfortable 10 -14 milers, and the race distance is a non-issue..it is routine and it comes down to managing pace, course, race day prep, and all that.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Queen of 3rd Place

Although more is better, for newbies 20 - 25 mi and building up to at least 11-12 mi long runs would be good. I did my first on 20 with a long run of 11 and was ok to finish (but not race). Since you have until October, you can certainly go beyond that 20 - 25 mi/week range, and besides your weekly long run add a mid-week semi-long run just be careful! Better to go a little easy than to get hurt. What's your event? Arla

Ex runner

Just a local half that a friend told me about....i think maybe i can do it but not sure where it is?!
          2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October

jules2

What kind of Miles-per-Week should I try to build up to to get ready for my first HM in October?
            If you need any motivation join the Half Marathon Training Forum.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

HappyDuck

I plan on my first half this spring. I run 13.1 one day One day off 5k One day off 1 mile warm up then 2 mile sprint One day off 2-3 mile tempo run At least this is my goal. I get pretty sick quite often so I do miss a few days here and there. I like my "days off" and it gives my poor body a chance to recover. I do plan to up my long runs to 15 miles two months before my race (I have not picked one yet) just so I can build endurance and finish strong. I hope this helps. It is not scientific but it works for me!!
              Somewhere someone out there is training when your not and when you race him, he will beat you!

Right on Hereford...

I plan on my first half this spring. I run 13.1 one day One day off 5k One day off 1 mile warm up then 2 mile sprint One day off 2-3 mile tempo run At least this is my goal. I get pretty sick quite often so I do miss a few days here and there. I like my "days off" and it gives my poor body a chance to recover. I do plan to up my long runs to 15 miles two months before my race (I have not picked one yet) just so I can build endurance and finish strong. I hope this helps. It is not scientific but it works for me!!
                Your "poor body" is right! What pace is your 5k run each week?

HappyDuck

My 5k is usually 22-23 minutes.
                  Somewhere someone out there is training when your not and when you race him, he will beat you!
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I plan on my first half this spring. I run 13.1 one day One day off 5k One day off 1 mile warm up then 2 mile sprint One day off 2-3 mile tempo run
                    For a long race like the half, you would probably benefit a lot more by scrapping the 5k and the 2-mile sprint, take as few days off as possible, and just run a lot of easy miles. You're only at 22~23 mpw, which is awfully low for 1/2M training.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

HappyDuck

I figure since I work 12 hour days, have two jobs, two kids and a farm to tend to taking days off inbetween is ok. Plus, my 13.1 time is about 1:45 so it seems to work well for me!! It just goes to show that everyones training is different. What works for one person may be completely wrong for another.

Right on Hereford...

I figure since I work 12 hour days, have two jobs, two kids and a farm to tend to taking days off inbetween is ok. Plus, my 13.1 time is about 1:45 so it seems to work well for me!! It just goes to show that everyones training is different. What works for one person may be completely wrong for another.
                        HappyDuck, I'd be interested to know more about your running schedule and recent race times. Also, what's your running background? (How long have you been running? Previous running life? Any injuries?) You've said your weekly long run is at 8:01 pace and your weekly 5k is at 7:05 - 7:24 pace. What about the other runs (the 2-mile sprint and the 2-3 mile tempo)? What is your "easy" pace (i.e., the pace at which you could easily hold a conversation)? Just curious...your schedule is a bit unusual, that's all.
                        MrH

I figure since I work 12 hour days, have two jobs, two kids and a farm to tend to taking days off inbetween is ok.
                          How have you been doing since Lucille left? Tongue

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.