Question on Meal Replacement Bars. (Read 986 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If I use Rolled oats, that means they have been slightly processed... is that still 'food' compared to Steel Cut?
    I dunno. I think the bit of advice Pollan gives will answer this question : if your great-great-grandmother would not recognize it as food, it probably is not. Likely your great-great-grandmother would recognize rolled oats and not recognize the casein powder. And these, again: 1. Eat food. Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. 2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. 3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number
      I dunno. I think the bit of advice Pollan gives will answer this question : if your great-great-grandmother would not recognize it as food, it probably is not. Likely your great-great-grandmother would recognize rolled oats and not recognize the casein powder.
      I think it's safe to say that none of my great-great-grandmothers are recognizing much of anything now. Wink

Amy

I dunno. I think the bit of advice Pollan gives will answer this question : if your great-great-grandmother would not recognize it as food, it probably is not. Likely your great-great-grandmother would recognize rolled oats and not recognize the casein powder. And these, again: 1. Eat food. Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. 2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. 3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number
        I don't have too many issues with anything you're saying, but, realistically, it is not possible in America to abide strictly by what you're saying. * Red apples are spray painted red(true, believe it or not). I don't like to eat paint... and yet, it is a plant. * We eat Fruits and Vegetables that have enough chemicals in them(that do not have to be listed) that even the bugs won't go near them. * It has become common knowledge that the quality of our soil is not what it was when out grandmothers were eating the food that came out of it. * Genetically engineered growing methods ^^ These are things that people buy thinking they are eating healthy. I would dare say that my grandmother would recognize them, but, it is not the same food. I pick my battles. My opinion is that macronutrient ratio manipulation and calorie counting and more important than worrying about pronunciations. Like I said earlier... I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. I just know what works for me.
        I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nor am I, just answering the OP's questions and providing opinion in response to others'. Your point about paint is well taken. Which is why I try as much as possible to get my fruits and veggies from natural sources. Local when possible. Self-picked when possible. And I agree, for much of our society, that is difficult. But if we eschewed convenience for health, we'd make great strides. A painted apple is far better than potato chips or cookies.

The Greatest of All Time

I don't agree with that line above though, however you slice it. I'm a counter down to the last gram. Always have been, as well as a meat eater.
            Same way here.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

* SOME Red apples are spray painted red(true, believe it or not). I don't like to eat paint... and yet, it is a plant. * SOME PEOPLE eat Fruits and Vegetables that have enough chemicals in them(that do not have to be listed) that even the bugs won't go near them. But many do not, and organics are available widely now. * It has become common knowledge that the quality of our soil is not what it was when out grandmothers were eating the food that came out of it in some parts of the country as a result of nonsustainable farming methods, but many farmers are interested in sustainable methods and we need to support their efforts when possible. Part of the problem is that the government subsidies in the Ag Bill tend to support nonsustainability rather than supporting better methods.. * Genetically engineered growing methods exist but there has been a great resurgence in heirloom varieties.
              Fixed Wink
              Same way here.
              Which part? The disagree part or the counting part? Wink

The Greatest of All Time

And no, caesin and whey in the form you take them are not food. They are manufactured and processed foodlike substances extracted from food using highly unnatural and chemical processes. Calling casein food because it comes from milk is the same as calling high fructose corn syrup a natural food because it comes from corn.
                Trent, I am not trying to jump in here, and you know I am not. But are you implying that the milk from 'ol Bessie isn't comprised of whey and casein? I agree that milk is processed but analgozing it to HFCS might be a stretch, don't ya think??? Wink I get 90% of my casein from good old skim milk (16 ounces a day) and the rest from Met-Rx powder. And if there is some in cheese (and I am sure there is) I have two ounces of that a day too. Dairy=good.

Considering that the two were so linked... maybe he will say both. The 7 words seem to have a very laid-back approach of just eat some food... not too much. This would be in strong disagreement with counting/tracking %'s & grams of macros/calories. Smile
                  I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy

Prophet!

I don't read about food. I eat food. I used to eat a lot of food. Now I occasionally eat a lot of food. If I don't like the food, I don't eat it. If I like it, I'll eat it. food = good and happy! no food = hungry and grumpy!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sorry, I was not clear. I posted this elsewhere: In many large modern dairies, the milk is processed by machines that pasteurize the milk, then separate it into its components: fat, proteins, liquid (which contains the sugars). The milk is then re-assembled to specification. So called "skim milk" is made by mixing the liquid with the protein (no, it is not skimmed from anything). You want 1%? 2%? Easy, just add back the fat to that degree. Whole milk is not whole milk, but it is reassembled milk to a 3.5% milkfat. Soured products have souring cultures added to the mix and are aged. Be aware, this form of homogenization is food processing, through and through, and your Purity Dairy 2% milk is a processed food. So the milk you buy in jugs at your grocery has been processed. Not in the same way that the cereal you pour it over has. But it has been ripped apart and reassembled to resemble milk and according to the specific formula you want. Is this bad? I dunno. Is this the milk I drink? No. I get pasteurized unhomogenized milk from a local sustainable (Menonite, actually) dairy. If I don't want the high fat content, I wait a day until the cream rises to the top and skim it off. Is modern dairy bad? Again, I dunno. But this I do know. When I heat modern dairy "homogenized" milk to cook with it, it sticks something awful to the sides of the pan. The more natural unhomogenized milk does not. That stickiness is the result of protein activation and oxidation / free radicalization that results from the molecular shearing inherent in the homogenization process. The stuff sticks and it is gross. How do I know that it is not doing something similar in my body? Casein and Whey, separated from milk through a processing step is NOT the same as milk. It is derived from milk. Perhaps the HFCS comparison was an exaggeration, I will admit. But the fact that it is not milk remains.
                      The 7 words seem to have a very laid-back approach of just eat some food... not too much.
                      Again, the 7 words were distilled from the multi-thousand word essay I linked to (and assume you have now read), which itself is a distillation of two over 400 page books. Also worth reading. Which you (and everybody who eats) should read. Smile
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet, Eating her casein and whey; Along came a spider, who sat down beside her And frightened Miss Muffet away. Cool
                          Again, the 7 words were distilled from the multi-thousand word essay I linked to (and assume you have now read), which itself is a distillation of two over 400 page books. Also worth reading. Which you (and everybody who eats) should read. Smile
                          I think I will. I'm always looking for different things to read. Some of the books that have led me to where I am currently in my line of thinking is the Blood Type book... which is fascinating, especially their(edit:the author and his late father) research on blood types as they evolved over the past few hundred thousand years. Have you read it? I think it would be up your alley... Anyway, Zone, Body For Life and all the usual suspects.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet. What is the book name?

The Greatest of All Time

Well, I still like my milk. I don't have any local Menonites to buy it from so I guess I am stuck with the store stuff. I have known for years it was processed as you described. An ex of mine had a grandfather that was a dairy farmer in the UP. Regardless of how the milk is processed it's still better for me than beer. My wife would love to have a goat just for the milk but we have no where to put her.

Sweet. What is the book name?
                                Eat Right 4 Your Type Peter J. D'Adamo