Has this been posted anywhere already? USATF banned headphones from all sanctioned races? (Read 1062 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The moment Lance is permitted his own rules, precedent is set.

Right. But what we are inquiring into is the adequacy of and justification for the explicit rules about assistance. I am also interested in why the rules of racing are centered around the concept of assistance, instead of something like "the experience of the participants." That the rules are written and clearly defined does not make them right.
      Out of curiosity, why should the USATF care about "the experience of the participants?" These rules define the nature of the competition in the sport. Major League Baseball doesn't have a rule that states that all of the players need to be happy about what happens to their baseballs that they hit before going to the hall of fame, or else Barry Bonds wouldn't be moaning about the asterisk (for example). In fact, they have a rule that states that baseball players can not wear headphones during the game. The original rule was written that way because it sets boundaries on what is fair and what isn't fair in a track race. Those rules were then adopted by road races who wanted sanctioning by the USATF so that they could get cheaper insurance, course certifications, and have a ready made set of rules, bylaws, and tax advantaged ways of awarding prize money and doing drug testing. Do you think that people went to watch Pre or Shorter or Parker run because they wanted to see them enjoying themselves? The rules define the game. Assistance is defined because it is all about what is fair and what isn't. The enforcement of this rule in road races is directly related to the rise in insurance costs that allowing headphones causes. Higher insurance costs means that there are going to either be higher entrance fees, or else the race organizers need to raise more money, or else the race organizers have less money to donate to the beneficiary of the race. I'm not a fan of any of those three options.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Maybe. I don't know specifically if he was allowed his own rules or not, I just have suspicions a year after the fact based on some questions you've raised. I don't really care enough to research it. Maybe if I see Joannie out on a run sometime I'll ask her about it.

Run to Win

mikeymike

Out of curiosity, why should the USATF care about "the experience of the participants?" These rules define the nature of the competition in the sport.
          Why should the USATF care about the experience of participants? Really? Why should the governing body of the sport care about the experience of its athletes? Possibly because the USATF's mission is to foster sustained competition, participation and interest in the sport of running. Just a guess. I agree the rule being used was originally designed to restrict "assistance" in all conceivable forms. But it's also clear the current selective enforcement of this rule at road races has to do with safety and controlling insurance costs. It has nothing to do with any competitive advantage that could be gained from headphones. For the same reason I doubt GPS watches would be considered illegal. If they were, you would think the USATF would have expressed an opinion on them by now since they are so prevalent.

Runners run

So, from the article, it looks like not all races are enforcing? This is frustrating for me. I understand the point, but I totally agree with the mindset that marathons aren't just for elites anymore. The experience is different for everyone. And especially now that I won't have my training partner with me, I NEED my music. I NEED my strong songs to get me through it. But I'm also not willing to run this dang thing only to be dq'd and not get my finisher's medal. I've worked too hard and come too far. So frustrating. on that note,...anyone know if White rock will be enforcing? ... Confused MTA...after reading lots of articles/discussions on this, i know the above sounds like i'm planning on disregarding the rules and not respecting the race. if it is enforced i will not use my ipod. i won't try and hide it, won't try and be sneaky. i will also start being more aware of how loud my music is, and how aware i am of my surroundings. i will probably not turn it on until about a mile in, then turn it off again at the end of the race, so i am able to hear announcements, rules, etc.
            Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
            va

That's right, some will enforce, some won't. If it's not mentioned on the web site or registration form, they are probably not going to enforce. Send them an email if you want to know for sure...
              tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

My iPod has gotten me through a lot of grueling training runs. As far as races go... the longer the race is, the more a pain it is to drag the thing with you anyway. But as to the 'social aspect' of racing... I'm usually breathing too hard to be able to talk and I really don't want to talk to anyone else during a race anyway - a least a 'running conversation' (pardon the pun). OTOH, if a race is going well for me I do like to make positive affirmations to others that are out there struggling.
                Two bikes, Two Legs, Two Feet...

Anyone have pizza?

I happen to wear an iPod for several reasons. First of all, I run by myself and it can be a real lackluster experience at times, when one's not 100% and need a little motivational "kickstart". As so far as racing goes, I can't see how this could be enforced, especially with so many runners. In NY, most of the races I run in are 3,4,5 thousand strong or more. One thing I can definitely agree that should be banned and have absolutely no merit on the race course are cameras. In my race yesterday, I saw tons of people, mostly foreigners in the race by allotment, coming to A COMPLETE STOP, just to take pictures of the New York skyline. A couple of times, I had to weave and bob around them. This is absolutely insane. One thing for sure, when I run with an iPod, I am even more careful about the road and those around me, to avoid just the sort of thing that insurance companies and the USATF are warning about. It does cost me a little bit of extra energy, I admit. But having the trade-off is not so bad.

Anyone have pizza?

LOL. Are you saying that Lance ran with an iPod yesterday???? I'm looking for a picture of him right now!!
                      When I checked my official results for the Applefest HM, I noticed a link, clicked it and found eight runners listed under the following banner: *********************************************** RUNNERS DISQUALIFIED FOR USING PROHIBITED ITEMS *********************************************** I imagine most were for mp3 players, but nobody can claim ignorance. The information is prominently posted on the race webpage. The reason given is insurance requirements, it is a USATF course. Runners only - "No walkers", and none of the following are allowed. No pets, baby strollers, skates, headsets earbuds, mini-speakers anywhere on or around the body. And just to be clear, that means that IPODS in any form or by any other name are not allowed. This is a safety/insurance issue and has nothing to do with a like or dislike of music. It has to do with the potential future cost of insurance and/or the possible lack of availability of insurance for our race. Runners violating this safety rule will be disqualified
                      Well sadly we do go to court over the silliest BS these days. We need tort refrom in the worst way!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Why is it sideways?

Out of curiosity, why should the USATF care about "the experience of the participants?" These rules define the nature of the competition in the sport. The original rule was written that way because it sets boundaries on what is fair and what isn't fair in a track race. Those rules were then adopted by road races who wanted sanctioning by the USATF so that they could get cheaper insurance, course certifications, and have a ready made set of rules, bylaws, and tax advantaged ways of awarding prize money and doing drug testing. The enforcement of this rule in road races is directly related to the rise in insurance costs that allowing headphones causes. Higher insurance costs means that there are going to either be higher entrance fees, or else the race organizers need to raise more money, or else the race organizers have less money to donate to the beneficiary of the race. I'm not a fan of any of those three options.
                        You misunderstand me when I use the word experience. A good experience is not always one of "enjoyment." Any marathoner knows that. Wink Again, I'm wondering (I'm not certain about this) whether "fairness" is the best way of understanding the role of ipods--particularly from the standpoint of the participant. I understand that it is, currently, the way in which we presently understand the rules, but "is" does not imply "ought," as they say in the biz. Your own arguments against the "ipod" above, for example, are not organized around the concept of fair competition; they are organized around economic interests. So, should the rules of the sport be concerned with fairness or with economic viability? Or with the experience of the participants? I don't know the answer, but I do think that "fairness" is not the only value that ought to be considered when thinking about the rules of marathoning.
                          Actually you asked a very good question. Too bad this board is not set for polls Would you be willing to pay an added $10 to the entry fee and sign a wavier so that you could take your music with you on a race?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

i would, yes. it would be worth it to me.
                            Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!

Would you be willing to pay an added $10 to the entry fee and sign a wavier so that you could take your music with you on a race?
                              I wouldn't if it was optional, because I wouldn't be wearing the headphones anyway. Making it an optional add on though would not bother me in the least. I doubt that the insurance companies would really go for that though, especially since the waivers really don't have much in the way of legal standing. The insurance company will be the ones on the hook if you do something stupid, get yourself hurt, and then sue the race or the race directors. It's even worse if you don't do something stupid and something happens to you.

Run to Win

huh. portland, it seems, is proud of being ipod-friendly: http://www.portlandmarathon.org/mp3policy.php