Distance for neice (Read 494 times)

My neice has Track comming up and always asks to run with me, So the other day i took her and we did an easy mile just to see if she could make it. She dosen't want to do sprints and she had to walk some on the final lap. I'm thinking the 800 or 400 would be a better start(she is 8). Whats everyone else think
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
      Wow, do they run 8 year olds at distances greater than 800m? Does she REALLY want to run races this young, or would she be happier going out with you instead? If she insists, I would sway her to the shorter distances you mention. Also, how often do they train? If it is less than 4X per week, it probably wouldn't hurt for her to go out with you once or twice a week for a couple miles (as long as she has rest days). Building her endurance a bit will also help her do better in the races and build confidence. I imagine not being able to finish a race (or walking part way) would be fairly humiliating for an 8 year old.

Go Pre!

Nothing to fuss about. Kids run. they run a lot. They run hard. We just don't realize it until we put them in a position to measure distances. Any idea of how many miles a kid runs at soccer, lacrosse, baseball, the playgound (interval training) They are resilient, and in fact, they run much less than children of yesterday, us, our parents etc. My 8 yr old is approaching 23 minutes for 5K races, he broke 25 mins for 5k when he was 7, he loves running as much as he loves other sport or tv, or Xbox. My daughter is now 15 and running 5ks in the teens and has 3 half marathons under her belt with a PR of 1:45 when she was 13, her last one and now focuses on track, 1500m and 3000m. She thanks me all o f the time for encouraging her to run. As far as walking during a race. If it's ok with you it will be ok with them. Just make sure they are enjoying it at their own pace.
        stellaf

Hi, I was reading the above article and I found that your site and articles are quite interesting and useful for us. Thanks for sharing. Stella ab workout