Bruised out side ankle (Read 538 times)

odaniel0720

Hello all, I have been lurking here reading the post for a while. Two days ago I went running on a track for about 4.12 miles, nothing fast just a training pace. The next day I noticed that on my left ankle the outside of it hurt when I tried to walk. It was nothing major so I went on with my day. That night at work it started to hurt really bad to the point that I couldn't put any weight on it without pain. If I am resting it with no weight on it, it doesn't really hurt I can move it around and there is a little bit of soreness but nothing I haven't felt before. This morning when I woke it it has a bruise right below the "ball" of my outside ankle. Nothing is swollen, but I can't walk on it. Any idea's on what it is?
    Chris UK

Hi sorry for the late reply on this but I have just been suffering very symptoms recently. I have not had it diagnosed but I think mine is bursitis. Pain on the outside of the ankle when pressure is applied (always) - a little numb at the back of the heel (sometimes) and tingling under the heel (sometimes). There are various bursa (p. bursaea or bursas) around the ankle and they can become inflamed with overuse. In my case a combination of mileage and one run too many out of an old pair of shoes (cue Dr Trent!) probably caused the problem. Check my log to see how I have fared with this - from September 2nd onwards. It has taken me about 6 weeks to get back to normal running with one or two false starts. In retrospect I might have got back sooner if I had been able to resist trying to run before it was fully recovered. Even now I "know" it is there in the background but it is not causing me any pain when I run. Rest was the answer in my case - icing didn't seem to make any difference. When you come back check your shoes are OK and try to run reduced mileage on softer surfaces for a while until you are running pain free. Good luck - you will get over it.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

odaniel0720

Thanks, I have stayed off of it and haven't run since. It seems to be getting better and I am going to get new shoes asap. It seems to be getting better. Thanks for the info.