Going for the 4-Mile Record (Read 805 times)

De-slacking in progress

Amy I hope you catch this post. I now must work tomorrow and will not be able to race the 4 miler in G'ville. I'm sure of you setting the record and hope you lower it to 24:5?. And let us all know how you did.
    Dang it- I had $50 bet she was going to toast you at the finish line !! Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Dave

I did a little log peeking. Amy, you're amazing. Way to go!!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I did a little log peeking.
        Me too. Congrats on smashing the old record Amy! Cool May see ya next week in Smyrna. P.S. Could ya taper a bit more or take a day off ? Wink ..(for fresher legs.)

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Wow!!! You are amazing!!!! Congrats and good luck next week Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Maybe I should have tapered more??? My big idea about running a 10 miler on Tuesday (ostensibly to start building up for the 1/2 in October) was probably a bad idea. I just need more endurance....maybe more mile intervals and less quarters. Since the first mile next week is basically downhill, I will probably try to build in a cushion that first mile. Pred, do you know that course? What do you think? Scott thinks I just gave up after I realized I wasn't going to break 25. He's probably right. Maybe the 4 miler in November. Does anyone know anything about that race?
              Pred, do you know that course? What do you think? Scott thinks I just gave up after I realized I wasn't going to break 25. He's probably right. Maybe the 4 miler in November. Does anyone know anything about that race?
              I'm with you about the cinder, if your ? is about that course. When I first started doing some training there, I noticed I couldn't maintain the paces(race) I can on asphalt. But I like it now if packed hard and running M pace. If ? is Smyrna course, I see nothing wrong with going out faster than need be in the first mile. Heck Amy, that's what I sorta picked up from you the time I drafted you to my almost sub-19(19:02) in '07. Out fast for one, slow to recover the second mile, and then try to repeat the pace of the first mile to the finish. It's worked well for me since. You're no quitter. I think the humidity took it out of you. The humidity is killing me, so I've stopped trying to run any quality for now. But I will run Smyrna 5k or the mile race. Still ??? which. The Springfield 4 is flat-flat-flat, 2 miles out, around a cone and back, on a scenic greenway path with mostly straights and but a few turns. Reminds me of Shelby. I loved it. It's def. a PR course. You are guaranteed to smash your new record there.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Maybe I should have tapered more??? My big idea about running a 10 miler on Tuesday (ostensibly to start building up for the 1/2 in October) was probably a bad idea. I just need more endurance....maybe more mile intervals and less quarters. Since the first mile next week is basically downhill, I will probably try to build in a cushion that first mile. Pred, do you know that course? What do you think? Scott thinks I just gave up after I realized I wasn't going to break 25. He's probably right. Maybe the 4 miler in November. Does anyone know anything about that race?
                Although I do think that longer, slower intervals with short recovery jogs would help al lot, it sounds like the course had a lot to do with yesterday's race. Courses mean a LOT when it comes to running fast times. We have a couple flat, certified courses here that have long stretches on the dirt. You would think that the dirt wouldn't make that much difference with the course being flat, but it does. I always run slow on those courses. It is not uncommon for me to run a 5k on a slow course, and within a month or 2 run the same or faster pace for a full 10k. I think the 10-miler you ran was a good idea, and if your legs didn't feel tight and/or sore on race day you probably didn't need to taper much. A faster course and more favorable weather will make a huge difference. And getting back to the 400's--it's obvious you have overkill on speed. You only need them once in a while to sharpen up for a key race, imo. All that said, there are only a handful of women in the U.S. in your age class who could run the time you did and you did it under unfavorable conditions.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It was like 873 degrees out yesterday. Sweet work! I think the November 4 miler is a flat fast course and is usually on a cool day.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Amy! Good luck getting your PR!
                      Although I do think that longer, slower intervals with short recovery jogs would help al lot, it sounds like the course had a lot to do with yesterday's race. Courses mean a LOT when it comes to running fast times. We have a couple flat, certified courses here that have long stretches on the dirt. You would think that the dirt wouldn't make that much difference with the course being flat, but it does. I always run slow on those courses. It is not uncommon for me to run a 5k on a slow course, and within a month or 2 run the same or faster pace for a full 10k. I think the 10-miler you ran was a good idea, and if your legs didn't feel tight and/or sore on race day you probably didn't need to taper much. A faster course and more favorable weather will make a huge difference. And getting back to the 400's--it's obvious you have overkill on speed. You only need them once in a while to sharpen up for a key race, imo.
                      Jim, What do you mean by longer, slower intervals? Do you think mile repeats with a 200m jog would qualify? I am officially canning the quarters for now. I don't really need them. Yes, the cinders cause my feet to slip just slightly with each step which, of course, causes you to lose ground. Also, watching for the roots, bridges, etc. I may not run 10 at once this week (only because I will not have time with 12 hour shifts at work). However, starting next week, I am adding it permanently and probably boosting it to 12 the next week. I recovered fine from it. No tired or tight legs on Saturday (that's not one of my excuses!) Today would have been a much better day for running the race. This Saturday is my next attempt at breaking 19. It is a great course on asphault inside a park. We'll see what the weather brings.

Prince of Fatness

Cripes. I feel like a chump and am inspired all at the same time. Nice work ... congratulations.

Not at it at all. 

Jim, What do you mean by longer, slower intervals? Do you think mile repeats with a 200m jog would qualify? I am officially canning the quarters for now. I don't really need them. Yes, the cinders cause my feet to slip just slightly with each step which, of course, causes you to lose ground. Also, watching for the roots, bridges, etc. I may not run 10 at once this week (only because I will not have time with 12 hour shifts at work). However, starting next week, I am adding it permanently and probably boosting it to 12 the next week. I recovered fine from it. No tired or tight legs on Saturday (that's not one of my excuses!) Today would have been a much better day for running the race. This Saturday is my next attempt at breaking 19. It is a great course on asphault inside a park. We'll see what the weather brings.
                          Anything between 1k and a mile with 200 recoveries.; 4-6 miles worth. I was doing 1000's at no faster than 10k pace and usually a little slower. Miles were more in 10m-HM pace range, but sometimes a little quicker. This was bread and butter workout before I ran a string of PR's this year. Last year it was same thing before HM PR. During a race week I'd cut the reps down and take a full lap recovery, 4 days out from race. Give it 5-6 sessions before you really start to notice. Good luck on Saturday!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33