2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

TripleBock

2 big love handles

Flatlander and DB at running ahead

on the old coolrunning

Flounder

MTP

WI-MTP

Likely any website you see MTP or WI-MTP it is a good chance it is me

On my blog - A Big Horse or Big American Horse

That's about all. 

How many different handles have you had???  Wink

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Shagray – 25MARCH2012 – Zurich Marathon of Barcelona -- Goal = sub-2:45

Shagray are you still in?  How has it been going?

TripleBock

Still putting in bigger mileage ~ Trying to De-fat.  Hit 182 miles last week.  I ran a fat-ass marathon put on by my running club Saturday.  Started running 8's.  After a tree-line bathroom break at 10 miles.  The guy I was with started to ratchet it up a bit.  We ran together until 17 when just like that he was 50-80 feet behind - Maybe he dropped somehting.  So I decided to push the pace a bit.  Mile # 22 he was still 20-30 seconds behind - So I ran a speed workout to bring it home.  Ended up 4 minutes ahead of him.

Just fun to race ... even if it is not a real race.  3:13:25 ~ Considering the mileage week I put in and jogging the 1st 10 - I was happy enough.  I followed that with 32 trail miles in the afternoon Sunday and 8 easy TM miles Sunday night while watching BB.

For an all out tapered marathon ~ I am probably at 3:05 - Give or take a minute right now.  20 more pounds and start speed work - I should be able to bridge that gap to sub 3 in the 33 days remaining.

jjameson

Still putting in bigger mileage ~ Trying to De-fat.  Hit 182 miles last week.  I ran a fat-ass marathon put on by my running club Saturday.  Started running 8's.  After a tree-line bathroom break at 10 miles.  The guy I was with started to ratchet it up a bit.  We ran together until 17 when just like that he was 50-80 feet behind - Maybe he dropped somehting.  So I decided to push the pace a bit.  Mile # 22 he was still 20-30 seconds behind - So I ran a speed workout to bring it home.  Ended up 4 minutes ahead of him.

Just fun to race ... even if it is not a real race.  3:13:25 ~ Considering the mileage week I put in and jogging the 1st 10 - I was happy enough.  I followed that with 32 trail miles in the afternoon Sunday and 8 easy TM miles Sunday night while watching BB.

For an all out tapered marathon ~ I am probably at 3:05 - Give or take a minute right now.  20 more pounds and start speed work - I should be able to bridge that gap to sub 3 in the 33 days remaining.

That's some big mileage.  I don't know how you do it.  I'm beat after my last few 70 mile weeks.  I'm 9 weeks out from Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City.  Doing modified Pfitz but had to start late due to snow and I've had to juggle the schedule due to work.  Don't have enough experience to know if I'm capable of sub 3.  Maybe my marathon pace run tomorrow will give me some idea.

TripleBock

With the exception of the last 4 miles of the marathon - They are all super slow fat-buring miles. ~ So it equated to @120 miles if I were doing 2 solid speed workouts each week - Not all miles are created equal.

70 MPW is plenty ... Stay healthy and I think you will do it! 

That's some big mileage.  I don't know how you do it.  I'm beat after my last few 70 mile weeks.  I'm 9 weeks out from Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City.  Doing modified Pfitz but had to start late due to snow and I've had to juggle the schedule due to work.  Don't have enough experience to know if I'm capable of sub 3.  Maybe my marathon pace run tomorrow will give me some idea.

I'm beat after my last few 70 mile weeks.  I'm 9 weeks out from Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City.  Doing modified Pfitz but had to start late due to snow and I've had to juggle the schedule due to work.  Don't have enough experience to know if I'm capable of sub 3.  Maybe my marathon pace run tomorrow will give me some idea.

I wouldn't worry about not adapting to the miles right away.  Not everyone adapts easily to mileage thresholds.  It took me forever to deal with 70 MPW, but once you taper those tired legs get real zippy.

jjameson

Getting a little discouraged.  Ran 17 with 9 at MP (6:49) and could just hold on.  Slight tailwind was offset by 80 degree weather which I am not used to.  My HR was about 161 which is about what I've been doing my LT workouts at (6:27 pace).  WTF?  My last MP run was 8 miles with a HR of 148!   I'm 53 years old and I'm guessing my max HR is about 170, maybe 172.

It took a lot out of me and there is no way I can hold that for 3 hours.  It seems I'm actually backsliding the last 4 weeks.  Probably two many miles too quickly?  Still not sure I'm going to try for 3 hours.  The race is in 9 weeks.

TripleBock

Sometimes a workout just sucks - Yes maybe if its 80+ you are screwed - Maybe not.

TripleBock

PS - Sounds like time for a nice cutback week.  70 MPW means nothing.  Try and do the scheduled workouts with 50-55 miles.  Plus if the plan calls for 16 with 8 @ MP - Do10-12 with 8 @ MP.

9 weeks is forever - Just take care of yourself

bhearn

Getting a little discouraged.  Ran 17 with 9 at MP (6:49) and could just hold on.  Slight tailwind was offset by 80 degree weather which I am not used to.  My HR was about 161 which is about what I've been doing my LT workouts at (6:27 pace).  WTF?  My last MP run was 8 miles with a HR of 148!   I'm 53 years old and I'm guessing my max HR is about 170, maybe 172.

It took a lot out of me and there is no way I can hold that for 3 hours.  It seems I'm actually backsliding the last 4 weeks.  Probably two many miles too quickly?  Still not sure I'm going to try for 3 hours.  The race is in 9 weeks.

I think I have yet to have a training plan where I haven't botched an MP workout like this, beginning with training for my first marathon. It was enough to make me seriously question my goal -- which I achieved handily in the end. (More details in the first post by bhearn on this ancient CoolRunning page.)

80 degrees will certainly do it. If you've been doing your LT workouts at 6:27 pace you are in there.

TripleBock

I think this is just a test of your mental strength and resolve ... more than physical.

jjameson

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll update in a couple of weeks.

DoppleBock

Maybe I am not patient enough - But I think this was Shagray

Km0-5 

Km5-10 

Km10-15 

Km15-20 

Km20-25 

Km25-30 

Km30-35 

Km35-40 

40-Final

Tiempo Real

00:21:03

00:20:32

00:20:40

00:20:49

00:21:08

00:21:32

00:22:13

00:22:53

00:10:12

00:21:03

00:41:34

01:02:13

01:23:02

01:44:10

02:05:41

02:27:53

02:50:46

03:00:58

Shagray - Please tells us about your race - It looks like you fought hard for a sub 3 and lost.  I for one often state a goal that I know will not happen as I toe the line.  I state the goal that I set for my training and then lots of things happen.

As a group we are here to support and encourage each other - But also learn from each other.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

It took a lot out of me and there is no way I can hold that for 3 hours.  It seems I'm actually backsliding the last 4 weeks.  Probably two many miles too quickly?  Still not sure I'm going to try for 3 hours.  The race is in 9 weeks

If last week was the pit of dispair, this week is much better.  Cooler weather has definitely made a difference and I think my body is adapting to the training.  My nagging injuries (calf and hamstring) are either better or no worse and do not interfere with my training.  Today I did 10 miles with a 10K lactate threshold in 39:23 with a HR of 159 (last 1.5 miles were wind assisted).  This is a longer distance, faster pace, and lower HR than my last LT 2 weeks ago.

Heading off to the caribbean for a week recovery with the family.  Will make my reacquaintance with the demon rum, and run some short distances.  If anyone want to run long on Ice Age trail the saturday before Easter, let me know, I'll be there.

My goal at Boston is sub 3.  You can add me to the list 2.5 weeks to go.