What is closest to Nimbus? (Read 884 times)

So I've run in the asics gel nimbus for many years. Love the shoe. Never had problems. But the $125 price tag is getting a bit over the top for me. Its a neutral cushion shoe..I'm only asking this because I thought I loved a pair of mizuno's and bought them on a whim (I even tried them on) but they are several months old and still have ~100 miles on them because I just don't like them too much. I wish I hadn't wasted 80 bucks on them. So what would compare to the nimbus in terms of cushion and neutrality? I'm scouring runners world to see what they are recommending this spring, but figured I'd ask here too Smile Thanks,

The King of Beasts

the Asics Cumulus is a lot like the Nimbus, but you can find the Cumulus for 80ish on sale.

(i am pretty sure I spelled that wrong, but you get the idea)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

I have loved the Nimbus for years...but not the 10's...they were too stable for me.  I changed to the Saucony Triumph's and loved them.  I just now changed back to the Nimbus 11's...only because I am dealing with some tendinitis (compensation issues from non-running related arch trauma)-and though they are both neutral cushions...the Nimbus seem to offer more support, without being too stable, if that makes sense.  The Triumph's have the same price tag as the Nimbus, but I just bought 2 pairs of the 6's on sale for $100.00 total...they seem to go on sale a lot...I have had 6 pairs and paid less than $70.00 for 4 of them.

an amazing likeness

Although it is now a year old, there were some good suggestions in this RA Thread.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Member Since 2008

(Asics Cumulus)

I run with both types of shoes.  The Nimbus is better, thought there is not alot of difference between them.  Also, if you belong to a running club, and you go to a good runing store, they will give you a discount. 

rahrens47

Emil

KMB

i always keep my eye on ebay for new shoes and have never had a bad experience... ive only ever bought 'new in box.'  if you know the model and size, you can find fantastic deals there.

You'll ruin your knees!

...same as cumulus except for the rain

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

sweet, thanks for all the opinions! i am liking the idea of brooks: stuck between the ghost, defyance and glycerin (cheapest). i'll decide one of these days haha. i might head over to ebay too, never thought of that...so I heard that the cumulus has a wider? toebox, so if i upsize by half for nimbus, should i stay true to size for cumulus? seems to make sense...,
                      go to famousfootwear.com or to one of their stores and get them at buy one at regular price and get the second at half price.  This makes them average to $98 a pair and if you really like a shoe, then you should buy 2 pairs anyway just in case they change the shoe.  The shipping is free.  they don't always run this promo but they do it enough that i usually don't have to wait long. I am sure other places have similar deals at some point in the year.

an amazing likeness

so I heard that the cumulus has a wider? toebox, so if i upsize by half for nimbus, should i stay true to size for cumulus? seems to make sense...,

My experience has been that the two (Cumulus and Nimbus) fit exactly the same for size.

fwiw

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Runner

How about something a little lighter such as a Brooks Launch or Summon? Both retail for 90 which is quite a bit less than the Nimbus.  I used to run in the Nimbus but as I improved the shoe seemed heavy and clunky.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler