What's My Next Step? (Read 772 times)

As a lot of you know - I'm in the middle of trying to improve my marathon time, down to what I am capable of doing. Thread: here. With all of that said, I am now in the midst of six straight weeks at 50+ mpw and holding steady and strong. The majority of my runs are done at easy pace, and I am actually okay at that. My long runs vary. I have recently discovered a group of men in my town who are older than my father, but they run about 50-60 mpw and have run several ultra marathons and 24 hour races. I have run a few times with them. Their pace is around 9:30-9:45 which is about 30-45 seconds from where my easy runs are, nonetheless, I am not trying to hurt myself, so I take advantage of the mileage. I have also noticed this phenomenal concept as to where my body recovers much easier after I run with them...neat huh? Anyways, I was planning on finishing out the month with running mostly easy with a few MP miles and small progression runs thrown in, much like my current training. Which brings me to my next point: What's my next step? February and March are the big months IMO. I'll have the 50-55 mpw base and can definitely increase that w/ my long runs, and it will as I am using Pfitz's 18/55 plan to work out a guide for my long runs. With that said, I am curious as how to incorporate speedwork into Feb. and March, hitting my final 20 or 22 miler (let's not debate this... Wink) about three weeks out. Goal race is Country Music Marathon on April 25, and would like to go sub 3:30 on it, but planning on adjusting accordingly. I know getting in some MP miles is a huge factor to my assurance, but as far as how many to run on a given long run or midweek run, I am clueless. Just looking for direction from the geniuses on RA as always.
    mikeymike

All I usually do is start to incorporate some long intervals, tempos, and progression runs into my long run and 2nd long run. So on the midweek mid-long run I might do 6 x 1000 at HMP in the middle of a 13 miler or something and then on the weekend long run do 10 easy, 8 progression. In otherwords what you've been doing, just more of it. You've had a great December. If you can follow it up with similar if not slightly bigger January and February and then in March hit high 200s, low 300's for mileage, I don't see any way you will not have a 40+ minute PR at CMM.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

This is great advice from Mikey. I want to re-iterate: continue to do what you are doing. Don't take your eye off the ball and start thinking that now it's gonna be the interval work or the marathon pace work that's gonna get you there. That stuff is important, but more important is to keep running easy, keep the mileage rolling, stay healthy and fresh. In addition to the type of work that Mikey suggests, I recommend running pretty regularly (every 2-3 weeks) some 5k's, 10k's, and a half-marathon or two. Racing is a great way to build confidence and get in a good workout. If you train through the races, then you don't have to worry about running them too hard. Great work! Keep it rolling!
          This is great advice from Mikey. I want to re-iterate: continue to do what you are doing. Don't take your eye off the ball and start thinking that now it's gonna be the interval work or the marathon pace work that's gonna get you there. That stuff is important, but more important is to keep running easy, keep the mileage rolling, stay healthy and fresh. In addition to the type of work that Mikey suggests, I recommend running pretty regularly (every 2-3 weeks) some 5k's, 10k's, and a half-marathon or two. Racing is a great way to build confidence and get in a good workout. If you train through the races, then you don't have to worry about running them too hard. Great work! Keep it rolling!
          I do have a half planned for Mar 28 - the week before my final big week before the taper....(I bet I could make that a bit more grammatically correct...) As far as easy, for sure planning on doing that. My deal is just not knowing what types of speedwork to throw into the mix. The midweek run, I plan on peaking out on that around 12-14 miles and the long running hitting a few 20 milers obviously. I saw kencamet post a workout he and jim did that was around 7 miles easy, 6x1600 w/ 200 rests at around half marathon pace, and finishing out with 7 more. I figure this might would be a good workout to do in late February early March. I guess my direction was just to find what kind of workouts to throw into my long run and midweek run that will help me out. Side note: there is the possibility the second week of march I will be traveling internationally and my training will hit a low that week...as I will be in Haiti. I will plan on trying to run minimally, but there's no telling, as it's not exactly the safest place to be. This is just a possibility. Given that I continue my training, I do not feel as though this would effect me too bad...thoughts?

Why is it sideways?

Side note: there is the possibility the second week of march I will be traveling internationally and my training will hit a low that week...as I will be in Haiti. I will plan on trying to run minimally, but there's no telling, as it's not exactly the safest place to be. This is just a possibility. Given that I continue my training, I do not feel as though this would effect me too bad...thoughts?
            Won't affect you at all. It might actually be a perfectly placed down week in the middle of marathon training. As far as workouts, the ones I like are 6-8 x 1000 at 10k pace, 5xmile at HM pace (or maybe a bit faster), and longer (8-10 miles) tempos starting at MP and working down to HM pace. I would do one of these a week, say on Wednesday. Maybe once a week if I'm feeling good, I might bring a random easy run home at around marathon pace. And then every other long run i'll try to run progressively, finishing at marathon pace.
              Not that this thread is over, because I definitely want to hear opinions from more people, but, thanks a lot mikey and Jeff. To hear two sub-3 guys tell me I can smoke CMM this year is beyond encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to help rookies like me achieve my best and send encouragement along the way. You guys (and many others on here) have helped tons of people more than you'll ever know. Also, Jeff, thanks for your thoughts on my trip to Haiti. Like I said, I don't know for sure if I'll be able to go, but if I do, I know I wouldn't be logging 50+ miles that week. The cool thing is, I do know I'd be running a little bit that week in order to get some footage for my little running cause (thank God for my Garmin, right?) Plus, who all can say that they've run a few miles in Haiti while training for a marathon? Big grin

Right on Hereford...

Nothing more to add, really. Your log looks awesome right now, and Mikey and Jeff gave you some very good advice. I also think your planned half marathon 1 month out is a great idea. You can adjust your sub-3:30 goal (probably way downward Wink) based on your performance in that half.
                  You're so far ahead of me, all I can do it to review what you are doing - read the advice of the others and try to get my mileage where you are so that I can do what your doing..... I cant add anything, but I got a lot from it.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

You can adjust your sub-3:30 goal (probably way downward Wink) based on your performance in that half.
                    Definitely hope that rings true. Would love to BQ next fall - we'll have to see.

Giants Fan

I have to say I found this thread fascinating. Am in the same boat with keeping mileage up and wanting to get a faster marathon this spring...loved reading the advice.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Not that this thread is over, because I definitely want to hear opinions from more people, but, thanks a lot mikey and Jeff. To hear two sub-3 guys tell me I can smoke CMM this year is beyond encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to help rookies like me achieve my best and send encouragement along the way. You guys (and many others on here) have helped tons of people more than you'll ever know. Also, Jeff, thanks for your thoughts on my trip to Haiti. Like I said, I don't know for sure if I'll be able to go, but if I do, I know I wouldn't be logging 50+ miles that week. The cool thing is, I do know I'd be running a little bit that week in order to get some footage for my little running cause (thank God for my Garmin, right?) Plus, who all can say that they've run a few miles in Haiti while training for a marathon? Big grin
                        Agreed! I've been really into this thread and to have Mike and Jeff put their two cents in is priceless.