2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

FSBD

Thanks Bob!

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bhearn

And, to get it on the same page, here's sub 3 band. Interesting how the first mile is faster than on your 2:57 band. Have you learned anything  over the years that would make you revise this one?

Huh. Maybe so. The first couple miles I tweak by hand in the spreadsheet for a slow start; it looks like I wasn't completely consistent. Oops. But this is my band from 2013, the latest. (Last year was a fun run; I followed the same pacing strategy, but sans band.) It's more consistent with the new ones.

One change I did consciously make between 2009 and 2013 is to go to from a 30-second negative split to 20 seconds.

bhearn

... and I hope it goes without saying... if you're using a pace band, check your splits at the mile markers, not when your Garmin autolaps (turn that off). I don't want to hear that the band worked great until the end, but the last .2 was really .4.

Julia1971

Bhearn, I have a question about the pace bands.  The paces after Heartbreak seems a little fast.  Is that because of the downhill?  Just wondering about the likelihood of running faster than GMP at the end of a marathon.  It sounds a little daunting.  But, I guess everything really does hinge on that stretch.  The alternatives (starting fast or charging through Newton) aren't all that desirable.

The forecast is looking good.  Smile

lagwagon

thanks again Bob!

weather looks promising, hoping the rain comes a little later in the day.  looks like near ideal temps and a light tailwind too.  and my attitude is improving as a resp infection which cost me a day of work and two runs is clearing.  fwiw, tapering sucks.

Maybe some of you locals/vets can help me with a spectating question:  my wife and 7 yo daughter are coming to Boston to cheer me on, and desperately want to catch me at more than one spot.  are there any good transit locations / options for this?  we'll be staying near fenway if that helps.

mikeymike

They could take the Green Line out to the Woodland or Riverside stops in Newton and see you by the Newton Wellesley Hospital near mile 17, then go to the Reservior stop by Cleveland Circle and see you at mile 22 ish, then head back to the finish area. I've never tried that on Marathon Monday but it seems like there should be enough time to make that work.

Runners run

bhearn

Bhearn, I have a question about the pace bands.  The paces after Heartbreak seems a little fast.  Is that because of the downhill?  Just wondering about the likelihood of running faster than GMP at the end of a marathon.  It sounds a little daunting.  But, I guess everything really does hinge on that stretch.  The alternatives (starting fast or charging through Newton) aren't all that desirable.

Yep, backloading the speed is the strategy. It can seem intimidating. But if you have been conservative enough in the earlier miles, it will really pay off at the end. You will be flying by everybody else. This is what the course really dictates for good pacing. Not only that, it's where you get the biggest crowd support. It's really a shame to waste all that fast, fast downhill due to shot quads, cramping calves, etc.

It works well for me, and others who've used my pace bands before have reported good results. But YMMV!

The forecast is looking good.  Smile

I like the temperatures, and a little rain doesn't scare me... but at the moment I'm seeing a big headwind. Not cool.

bhearn, for shits and giggles can I see what a 3:10 band would look like?

lagwagon

They could take the Green Line out to the Woodland or Riverside stops in Newton and see you by the Newton Wellesley Hospital near mile 17, then go to the Reservior stop by Cleveland Circle and see you at mile 22 ish, then head back to the finish area. I've never tried that on Marathon Monday but it seems like there should be enough time to make that work.

Thanks Mike, I wasnt clear on whether the green line would be operating during the race.  i'll double check with other locals this weekend, but thx for your suggestion, sounds good to me.

Thanks so much for the bands!  Cutting and taping right now!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Julia1971

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to fill in/update the goal time and training columns on the first page.  Did you stick to your plan?  What time are you aiming for on Monday (assuming good conditions)?

I stuck with a modified Pfitz plan.  For the month between RnRDC and Boston, I averaged about 60 miles/week including a 21 and 18-miler.  I raced this past Sunday which wasn't a good idea.  My new goal for Monday is a slight PR.  Like 1 second, so 3:22:55.  Smile

onemile

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to fill in/update the goal time and training columns on the first page.  Did you stick to your plan?  What time are you aiming for on Monday (assuming good conditions)?

I stuck with a modified Pfitz plan.  For the month between RnRDC and Boston, I averaged about 60 miles/week including a 21 and 18-miler.  I raced this past Sunday which wasn't a good idea.  My new goal for Monday is a slight PR.  Like 1 second, so 3:22:55.  Smile

I think I will run right behind you.  You can block the wind for me.

Thanks for doing all this Julia and keeping us all on track. Have a great race Monday!

I didn't stick to my initial plan so 3:25-27 is my Boston goal--hard training run at Boston, race Vermont City Marathon, and really focus all summer for a bigger swing at a new PR at Chicago. She says like she knows what the heck she is talking about....That's the plan/dream though. Monday's run will be my 56th marathon and one of these times I'll get it just right.

Bhearn, you are awesome for making all those pace bands. Thank you.

If you folks are near Boylston St. on Sunday afternoon, stop by the Lir Pub (across from Hynes). There'll be an RA gathering there from 2-4 pm. hosted by RTravers, a poster on the masters forum here. She said: Come one, Come all

Julia1971

I think I will run right behind you.  You can block the wind for me.

Hahaha.  Okay.  You'll find me behind some former football player looking dude.

Okay, I had to check...  Accuweather is showing 18 mph winds w/30 mph gusts out of the SE.  That is NYCM 2014-like winds.  But, isn't that the good direction for Boston.  PRs for everyone!

bhearn

Accuweather is showing 18 mph winds w/30 mph gusts out of the SE.  That is NYCM 2014-like winds.  But, isn't that the good direction for Boston.  

No. Definitely not. It's again looking like another fun run for me,