tired of seeing polystyrene litter on your runs? (Read 259 times)

#artbydmcbride

Some of those other packaging materials biodegrade fairly rapidly.  The styrofoam may last centuries.

Runners run

And for a little perspective, I'd like to bring up 'pollution' that almost no one brings up anymore.  Radiation running into the sea off the Japanese coast.    This was just 2 years ago, how did we forget so fast?

"""The uncertain nuclear situation halted work at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex, where authorities have been scrambling to stop the overheated facility from leaking dangerous radiation. Low levels of radiation have been seeping out since the March 11 quake and tsunami knocked out the plant's cooling system, but a breach could mean a much larger release of contaminants. The most likely consequence would be contamination of the groundwater.  "The situation today at the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant is still very grave and serious. We must remain vigilant, we are not in a position where we can be optimistic."""

Again, no one ever talks about it these days!  And we know that soon after that story aired, theings got much worse.   8-Mile Island was such a big story in the 70's and paled in comparison.  Several reactors melt down in Japan with the contaminated water used to cool them flowing right into the Pacific, and no one talks of this!  No media coverage at all.  --------  Not sure if anyone wants to talk about the status of the reactors and resulting radioactive pollution from Japan, but I am curious about why no one talks about the Japanese reactors in the press anymore.  Apparently the Status of Lyndsay Lohan (however you spell her name) is more important to the media? (Or generates higher viewership ratings at least?)...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xhristopher

Anyone remember the McD.L.T? Such a good use of polystyrene.

A Saucy Wench

Again, no one ever talks about it these days!  8-Mile Island was such a big story in the 70's and paled in comparison. 

Apparently in the 34 years since I evacuated for it, the island has grown 5 miles.  I now am concerned about long term effects.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Anyone remember the McD.L.T? Such a good use of polystyrene.

I remember the thing (used to work at McD's for a brief time in High School, late 80's, and I remember the commercial..  "Mc D--- {CLAP CLAP} L T !

(I just lost some cool points there, didn't I?  Big grin

#artbydmcbride

And for a little perspective, I'd like to bring up 'pollution' that almost no one brings up anymore.  Radiation running into the sea off the Japanese coast.    This was just 2 years ago, how did we forget so fast?

""" but I am curious about why no one talks about the Japanese reactors in the press anymore.  ...

Did you google it?  I did and found several recent stories.

also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_effects_from_Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Again, no one ever talks about it these days!  And we know that soon after that story aired, theings got much worse.   8-Mile Island was such a big story in the 70's and paled in comparison.  Several reactors melt down in Japan with the contaminated water used to cool them flowing right into the Pacific, and no one talks of this!  No media coverage at all.  --------  Not sure if anyone wants to talk about the status of the reactors and resulting radioactive pollution from Japan, but I am curious about why no one talks about the Japanese reactors in the press anymore.  Apparently the Status of Lyndsay Lohan (however you spell her name) is more important to the media? (Or generates higher viewership ratings at least?)...

Hmmm...I heard at least 4 -5 stories yesterday about the impact of the Japanese reactor including topics on (1) food safety concerns and how business are responding, (2) the Japanese govt's pledge to decontaminate the area is probably unrealistic,  (3) displaced people from the closed area and their property issues.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

8-Mile Island was such a big story

You only get one shot, oh no! the reactor blows, this meltdown comes once in a lifetime, yo!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

To Kevin, I like the wit.  Makes me grin.

To Milk:  What channels do you watch?  Apparently I am watching the wrong news broadcasts.

Hmmm...I heard at least 4 -5 stories yesterday about the impact of the Japanese reactor including topics on (1) food safety concerns and how business are responding, (2) the Japanese govt's pledge to decontaminate the area is probably unrealistic,  (3) displaced people from the closed area and their property issues.

Who Dey

Apparently in the 34 years since I evacuated for it, the island has grown 5 miles.  I now am concerned about long term effects.

Well played.

Get rid of polystyrene if you want to, but don't let them take the post-race space blankets!

JimR

and then there's highway runoff...

That's fair and it certainly is valid to say "the solution has to start somewhere", which I believe is your point. I rushed and did a poor job making raising my question. My question to the OP is how does banning one packaging material reduce litter?  My experience (living in a an area with a ban on styrofoam/plastics packaging) is that the litter just changes from one material to the other.  Litter is the issue, not the package material.

tl:dr version...people who chuck big mac containers chuck them regardless of material.

Litter makes me bitter, regardless of the material.

My apologies for misinterpreting your message. Cheers.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion:

Hoodoo Guru

You were there?  Wow, you're old.  I guess it explains the 3rd eye also.

The tangents are moot.

Meat Wagon

Puker

Lotsa liberal whining in this thread.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

Why is it sideways?

I saw a kid throw his cigarette butt in the street this morning and thought of this thread.