Am I getting scammed? (Read 542 times)

Misinformation Officer

Not sure this is the right category, but here goes: DH got me a 2 year subscription to RT (not promoting them or anything, so I'll abbreviate) for Xmas on some special deal. He paid by credit card and has the receipt dated 12/25/08. He gave it to me attached to the Jan/Feb issue from the store. Yesterday, I got the Jan/Feb RT in the mail. When I called to let them know that I already had that issue, the woman said that, "Someone called and cancelled this order. We credited it to your credit card." So, I call DH who says he did not cancel it, since he knows that I like that magazine. Then I called the mag back, and, shocker, the special rate at which DH purchased my supposed 2 year subscription is no longer available! What do you all think? Scam?
    rlemert

Not necessarily. It could be that someone else tried to cancel their subscription, but that in the process a number got transcribed and your subscription was cancelled instead. I would send them a letter, with a copy of the original receipt attached, explaining that neither you nor your husband were responsible for the original cancellation (your attempts to resolve the matter i.e. through this letter and your earlier phone calls should be sufficient evidence of this) and that you expect the subscription to be honored under its original terms - even if that requires the original charge to be re-stated to your account. (I'm not in that industry so I can't say for sure, but I believe subscription fees don't pay for much beyond the distribution costs. Advertising is responsible for most of the revenue. That's one of the biggest reasons why magazines can offer their "75% off the cover price" deals so often.)

Misinformation Officer

Thanks. It just seemed so weird that she would not reinstate it on the phone with me then.