RSS for forum threads (Read 520 times)

Patzer

Can you please add an RSS feed per-discussion?  I simply cannot follow threads I'm interested in, but an RSS subscription would do the work for me.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

Patzer

The URL could be something like:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/d72bb32910c54ab893d436b725c1462f/rss

And there should be a <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="%threadtitle%" href= %feedurl%"> in the <head> section for easy subscribing.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

eric :)

RSS feeds require a lot of resources.  A better solution is to allow you to subscribe to threads and you'll receive a notification, probably via email, whenever there's a new post.  I'm planning to add this when I redo the forum code.

Imminent Catastrophe

RSS feeds require a lot of resources.  A better solution is to allow you to subscribe to threads and you'll receive a notification, probably via email, whenever there's a new post.  I'm planning to add this when I redo the forum code.

Or by Twitter? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Patzer

RSS feeds, done correctly, do not require a lot of resources.  First, the server can tell the client how often to check.  Second, they are higly cacheable, both on the server level and the HTTP level.  IOW, since they can always be a "bit" behind, you can stash the complete reply in memcached or the like and serve the requests directly from there w/o a single SQL query. 

Basically, if you do RSS right, the requests rate won't be high and 99% of the requests can be served from an inexpensive cache lookup.