unique running locations (Read 1243 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In Mexico just recently I got attacked by a spider monkey. As it turned out he was friendly ... but when a strange monkey comes out of the jungle and wraps itself around your leg it tends to freak you out.
    I frequently get attacked by Monkeys where I run.
      Wow, that sound even worse than a treadmill. ( not a fan of cruise ships ) Cool

- Anya

I'd love to see the Garmin download for the cruise ship run - doing .10 mile laps while moving 20 knots. Cool
        I wonder if there is a sportstrack plugin to correct for this. Big grin

Vim

Running on the ocean

I would LOVE to see a GPS tracing of this.
          Back then I didn't have my GPS running watch, unfortunately. Have been thinking myself how funny the route must have been looked Roll eyes

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
          -- Jakob Herrmann
          my running achievements

Running on the ocean

Thats the plan! Ive still got a few years training to go though. I want to do it before I turn 30 (or at 30 if I have to)
            Now that's an awesome goal! I myself am looking into that race sooner or later but I'm affraid I already missed my 30th birthday cut-off Big grin. BTW, love your avatar!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
            -- Jakob Herrmann
            my running achievements

Running on the ocean

Wow, that sound even worse than a treadmill. ( not a fan of cruise ships ) Cool
              It was actually fun. I ran there three times out of the 4 day cruise. Twice I saw the sunset, which was awesome. And the running path goes along the deck where the lazy people were lying, slurping their alcohol beverages and not moving a toe. It sure felt great running, sweating and watching them Evil grin

-- Jakob Herrmann
              my running achievements

twinmomrunner

THis is a great thread. I'm going on a cruise next week, and have been dreading the TM running (I'm near the peak of my marathon training--and 60+ MPW is a lot of TM time!). As for me, the weirdest running I've done is in rural areas of the Caribbean, where I've had to watch out for goats and chickens in the road, and guys who somehow think a sweaty 40-something year old is something to whistle at.
                  I've run along the sea wall at Iwakuni, Japan many times. I lived there for a year. I ran in Darwin, Ausralia for a couple of months during the dry season. The wildlife was very exceptional. Those runs were years ago, of course, but I recall them fondly.
                  Do bears bear? Do bees be?
                  kcam

Thats the plan! Ive still got a few years training to go though. I want to do it before I turn 30 (or at 30 if I have to)
                    The stuff about the Hardrock 100 didn't 'quote' in ... Running at 14thou is a quite the humbling experience. Myself and a buddy ran Mt Whitney (highest peak in the lower 48 at 14.5K) from Whitney Portal (8.5K, I think) to the top and back. By the time we got to about 13K we were doin lots of run/walk, and by 14 it was hard to even pick up your legs! I've since hiked Whitney 5 more times and every time it gets easier - I'd like to try running it again someday. The trail is very runnable for those considering a run to the top of the lower 48.

Running on the ocean

Myself and a buddy ran Mt Whitney (highest peak in the lower 48 at 14.5K) from Whitney Portal (8.5K, I think) to the top and back.
                      Ahhh memories coming up. I paced my running buddy at the 2006 Badwater 135, which ends at the Mt. Whitney Portals at 8360 feet. I guess I can add Death Valley as an unusual place to run, where it was 115 degree Fahrenheit and I paced my running buddy for 31 miles from Stovepipe Wells (0') over the Townes Pass (4954') and down to Panameint Springs (2030'). Having fun in the dessert 17 miles into the fun shade anybody? This year he goes for his 6th finishing and I'm back on the crew and pacer team.

-- Jakob Herrmann
                      my running achievements

~Gordo~

While stationed in Italy, I got run in many different countries, but the highlights were: The Rock of Gibraltar (talk about a hill work out) Mount Vesivius in Naples Italy (running up a live volcano is pretty cool) A run from Europe to Asia (across the bridge in Istanbul, Turkey) and finally the Rome Marathon (my first and only marathon, but talk about great sights) ~Gordo
                        !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                        kcam

I always thought Badwater ended at the top of Whitney. Why do they run it in July if the race doesn't continue on up to the peak? I figured the reason for the July timeframe was so that the racers could actually ascend to the peak without using ice axes and crampons etc. What hotel do you stay at in Lone Pine? We always book the Dow Villa - coolest hotel around!

Running on the ocean

I always thought Badwater ended at the top of Whitney. Why do they run it in July if the race doesn't continue on up to the peak? I figured the reason for the July timeframe was so that the racers could actually ascend to the peak without using ice axes and crampons etc. What hotel do you stay at in Lone Pine? We always book the Dow Villa - coolest hotel around!
                            They run it in July because it's the hottest month in the year to make this race as challenging as possible. Badwater does actually not end at the top of Whitney but at it's base. One reason is because runners already ran 135 miles and going on top would probably simply be too much. However, some runners to continue going on top to make it a complete experience. Yes And some runners, who arrive on top, turn around, run down and all the way back to the starting line. Tight lipped And yet, a couple of runners (in my knowledge), when they arrive back on the starting line, they turn around and do it all again. Dead I honestly can't recall the name of the hotel we stood in Lone Pine but it wasn't the Dow Villa because it was fully booked. It was a motel right at the entrance of Lone Pine close to their little airport (well, landing strip is a better word LOL).

-- Jakob Herrmann
                            my running achievements

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Death Valley, 115 degrees?? Wow, you ARE nuts! Shocked I can't even imagine that.

Running on the ocean

Death Valley, 115 degrees?? Wow, you ARE nuts! Shocked I can't even imagine that.
                                Some love to run in the head some love to take pictures of elephants LOL. Where did you take that picture in your avatar?

-- Jakob Herrmann
                                my running achievements