Is it beneficial to go longer than 3 hr for long run? (Read 260 times)

hectortrojan

The longest I have been on my feet is little over 6 hours. I want to try longer - lets call it my GOAL for near future. I am just going for time on my feet and do not worry about pace or recovery. When I went for a little over 6 hr in Oct 2014, I felt fine the next day and felt fully recovered in 3 days or so.

I generally go for long run every other weekend or so. Originally I was thinking about going for 5-6 three hr long runs before trying to go for the GOAL. My last three long runs are ~3 hr long.  After three more long runs, I want to try for the GOAL.

What is more beneficial from following? Would there be any difference on how I feel when I go for the GOAL if do following? Why?

• 3 more three hr long run OR
    • 4-5 hr for next long run and 2 more three hr long run after that.
    kilkee

runktrun

If you are just going for time on your feet and not worried about pace or recovering for any shorter, faster races in between, then I would say extend the time of your long run (4-5hr) leading up to your 6+ hour attempt.  It seems like you have a good base with multiple 3hr long runs already, so I would recommend a 4+ hr run to build to your 6+ hours.  The surface on which you are running makes a difference, though; trails will be more forgiving.  Just make sure you fully recover from your 4-5hr run before attempting the 6+ hour effort, otherwise you will go into your GOAL run depleted and still a little banged up.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Totally agree with Kilkee.

I think you are good an ready to have a crack now based on your multiple 3 hour runs and consistent training.

With long runs over 3+ hours is always going to make you feel a little banged up but as you have been doing them for a while I think it's just mental strength needing to develop.

Remember you can never go to SLOW :-)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Training for a 100 I did BTB long runs. 7 hours(30) on a Sat. 5 hours on Sun(20).

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/