Question about courses list in log (Read 576 times)

As you can see, I currently don't have my log or profile public. I'm working on the log, but I have a couple of questions first. First question is, when you make your log public, does that mean that all your courses are public, too? Second question: On my course list, one of my courses has an "earth" icon after it, and another course has a "pad lock" icon next to it. What does that mean? Did I make the padlock one private and didn't know it? I can't find a way to do this, and I really don't want to post my routes for all the world to see, as I'm sure you can understand. Wink So, how do I make the routes private and my log public? Thanks! --Anna MTA: I'm specifically talking about making the map private, as it's not really necessary to have the whole description private. Or, does the map never show up anyway, making this whole question a moot point?? Confused
    eric :)

First question is, when you make your log public, does that mean that all your courses are public, too?
      Your courses will be public in the sense that your shoes will be publicly viewable. What you're asking is if your maps will become publicly viewable as well. The maps are default to be public to encourage sharing. However, you can change the default behavior by changing the map access option to be private. To do that, go to Options (upper right corner), then click on the "My Log Preferences" link.
      Second question: On my course list, one of my courses has an "earth" icon after it, and another course has a "pad lock" icon next to it. What does that mean? Did I make the padlock one private and didn't know it? I can't find a way to do this, and I really don't want to post my routes for all the world to see, as I'm sure you can understand. Wink So, how do I make the routes private and my log public?
      The earth icon indicates a globally/publicly viewable map, while a pad lock indicates a private map. A private map is never displayed. The viewer would not know if there's a map associated with the course when viewing your log if the map is marked as private. When you create the map, you can optionally specify its access mode, which will override your default map access mode that you set in the options page. For example, if you set your default map access to be private but would like to share the map that you're creating, then you would uncheck the private map checkbox in the map's toolbar. Note that regardless of whether a map is public or private, the course name will always be displayed. Hope this helps. eric Smile
        Yes! I've figured it out now. I've got a lot to learn about this log. It really is a great one! And , if I can just remember about the darn "Options" link... I always miss it way over there on the top right, and I forget about it. Big grin Thanks, Eric!