Gloves for very cold mornings (Read 1576 times)

Slo

I posted this link a few weeks back.

These work perfect for me. Cheap enough to throw away if I don't need them.....they're handy to have around because you'll find a ton of other uses for them.

Last year I ordered 6 dozen and split them up with friends. I kept two dozen and have about 6 pairs left. I probably only used 6 pairs for actual running.

Good running glove

They are not water proof.

This is why I run

I posted this link a few weeks back.

These work perfect for me. Cheap enough to throw away if I don't need them.....they're handy to have around because you'll find a ton of other uses for them.

Last year I ordered 6 dozen and split them up with friends. I kept two dozen and have about 6 pairs left. I probably only used 6 pairs for actual running.

Good running glove

They are not water proof.

These are the gloves I use.  I typically gather as many as I can when they are including them in packet pickup at marathons.  I ask my friends if they don't want them.  I recently found at a local store (Ollies) these for 2 pair for a $1.  So I stocked up.  I have only pitched them a few times during races.  I find that these work great for me at pretty much all temps in the mid D.C Metro area.  I've run at below zero while in the upper pennisula of Michigan and used mittens but after about 8 miles or so my hands were steaming hot.  If you have problems with cold hands, mittens is definitely the way to go.  Just find some that breathe a little.

Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!
      mevi

I have Raynauds so my fingers go numb really quickly. I wear gloves, hand warmers(hot hands that heat up for 10 hours) and then mittens on top.
          At the chickamauga battlefield marathon this year they gave me some awesome gloves for running.. but they're tan so I'm sad
          xor

At the chickamauga battlefield marathon this year they gave me some awesome gloves for running.. but they're tan so I'm sad

Why does tan make you sad?

I'm tan. I hope I don't make people sad. In general.

HappyFeat

I wear my downhill skiing mitts: Gordini brand, waterproof, breathable, very warm.

If it's not cold enough for those, I wear a pair of fleece mittens that have stood the test of time.

I find that mittens work better than gloves because my fingers don't hold any heat if they're separated. (I also have Raynaud's, but mainly only 2 of my fingers lose circulation - but not if kept warm.)

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

in a pinch, i do socks, and i used to do okay with cheapie "magic gloves" from target in layers for warmth, but i dunno. they never lasted longer than a season, or i'd have to layer them up so much my fingers wouldn't be able to share their warmth with each other, etc. they basically just take the sharp edges off the wind, but they never really helped my hands to feel WARM. also i feel bad having an "expendable" attitude about things, even if they're cheap. i don't toss gloves or layers of clothing at races or anything like that. i just can't do it.

anyway, i got these recently w/ a gift card, and they are the best running gloves i've tried so far:

pearl izumi shine wind mitt

they're gloves w/ a windproof/water-resistant stowable mitt part, so they're mittens when you want them to be, but otherwise just gloves.

the fabric is soft and breathable but warm, but really it's that ripstop overmitten that makes them so useful to me. i run along the waterfront of jersey city & nyc, or over nyc's bridges, and it's REALLY WINDY, so yeah, i'm loving them. the wind does not go through!

also loving them for my bike commute. b/c they keep my hands extra-warm, mitten-style, but i can just kick off the mitt part to get to my lock key when it's time to lock up.

ymmv

I ran with these again today, and it was 20 degrees when i started. my hands were too warm.

the fuzzy part of the outside of these mittens is a nice feature

an amazing likeness

I've enjoyed the 180s running gloves that have the windbreaker mitten cover you pull over your fingers and find they work well (unlike other gloves) down to the low temps near 0F.  The covers give a lot of flexibility in how much of your hand is protected from wind.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I use two layers of thinner gloves once it gets below 10 degrees.  Depending on windchill and how long I have been running, my hands tend to get sweaty or very chilled during the run.  If I start to get sweaty, I take off a pair, if they get cold, I put on another.

Cool Jump Suit

I always use two layers in the cold as well.  Pair of knits gloves and then some thicker winter ones.  Works pretty well.  My hands tend to feel pretty cold!

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

I do the same as flatfooter as well with a lightweight running glove that I wear and then when I get cold I put a windproof pair of running mittens over them. The mittens aren't lined either so you'd think it would be cold but it ends up working well for me as I do not want them to hot for the freezing sweat...worked great this morning and it was -5 F out.
                          al glenn

Best thing for me is a pair of latex gloves (un-powdered) under regular cotton gloves. Hands get sweaty, but venting at the wrist is no problem. Finger movement (opening gels etc.) is no problem.
                            coastwalker

My hands also get really cold when the temp drops to single digits or lower. It took me years to find something that works for me. The best I've found for keeping my hands comfortable is a pair of lightweight gloves under wind-stopper mittens. Much to my surprise, the combination works a lot better than just the mittens by themselves.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.