What should be my 2nd pair of shoes? (Read 1068 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have about 300 miles on my very first pair of running shoes.  They're Brooks Beast.  Yes, I have wide, flat feet, and need pronation control.  These shoes have been great in terms of avoiding the knee pain I experienced before.  Trouble is, they're uncomfortable and difficult to get laced up just right.  I have to pull the laces killer-tight in the front two holes or my toes get beaten black and blue.  If I lace them tight in the back (ankle) holes, the tendons on the tops of my feet get swollen and irritated.  If they're too loose anywhere, I'm asking for blisters.  And, from the beginning, I never felt the spring in my step that I was hoping for.  All that said, after two or three test walks/jogs around the block, I get them tied in an acceptable way, take off running, and I'm alright for the duration of the run.  It just seems like too much work, and I'm hoping I can do better.  Suggestions?

Menace to Sobriety

Have you tried the same shoe in a different size or width, or combination of the two? Or maybe just try different lace pattern with the same shoe.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I would suggest Vibram Five Fingers. Most people end up loving them.

Not convinced that Five Fingers would be so great for pronation control.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

I used to use the beast, but switched to nike air structure triax and asics gel kayano, the latter being pretty expensive. I'm pretty happy with them, but am always open to finding something better.
              Not convinced that Five Fingers would be so great for pronation control.

They work well for supination. Or at least I feel like they do. My brother pronates a lot and he enjoys his. I can't say he runs in them though. He does, however, hike in them.

They work well for supination. Or at least I feel like they do. My brother pronates a lot and he enjoys his. I can't say he runs in them though. He does, however, hike in them.

That's interesting; supination is exactly my problem.  My running shoes obviously help but in any other shoe I feel myself do it and it bugs me.  Will revisit them, thanks.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

How about the shoes God gave you?

I also started in the Beasts also about 18 months ago.  Been a long journey and now it is nothing but barefoot and minimalistic running for me.

Well, bare footing is not something to jump right into. At least, not long distance. Heck, even VFF need to be eased into.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks everyone, and sorry I neglected this thread so long. I finally bought Asics Evolution 5, and they're considerably more comfy.

I have a certain fascination with Vibram and with barefoot, but it scares me a bit since I get knee pain if I run in non-running shoes.  Maybe it's different when you're barefoot.  I am experimenting on a tiny scale - running a couple of blocks barefoot.  Kinda cool.

mikeymike

You can never go wrong with a pair of simple black loafers.

Runners run

Ostrich runner

I saw a pretty funny thing the other day in a trail race--a guy decided to barefoot it (of course with some look-at-me-I'm-barefoot wear on) without realizing that a significant portion of the race had freshly poured gravel on it.  Hi-larious.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

i sacrificed the gift

What is look-at-me-i'm-barefoot wear?
                            Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                            Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                            Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Ostrich runner

I rarely see people doing races barefoot without at least a t-shirt evangelizing it. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

xor

barefoot running is so popular now that I'm thinking of wearing a shirt that says "I wear shoes, motherfucker."