muscle pull... advice please? :) (Read 482 times)

I'm new to posting (hi, all!) and, after running everything from the 800 to the half-marathon for 9 years, am training for the San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon on June 1. I am up to a whopping 7 as my long run and have already managed to injure myself. I've hurt an inner thigh muscle, something I have never had problems with (I am a severe under-pronator and have had chronic problems with my IT band, but thanks to custom-made orthotics and the foam roller- arguably the greatest invention of all time- I've been healthy enough to set my sights on the marathon). Nothing major, just your average muscle pull/strain... it's just driving me nuts because I don't want to risk running on it right now and it's f-ing up my training/running log (I have taken 2 days off now). You know how it goes. Smile I believe this did not happen as a result of running, though, so much as attempting the Thriller dance. Go ahead and laugh, I'm aware that this is ridiculous. The thing is, what should I do to fix it? I am doing the whole rest, ice, anti-inflammatory thing. Should I be stretching it? I have not run since Sunday and am anxious to get back to it! Any advice would be much appreciated. Smile K
      Don't forget about the compression and elevation components of R.I.C.E. Keep it wrapped with an ace bandage and get your feet up whenever you can. After a few days of icing you should start alternating between heat and cold to stimulate blood flow. Never stretch an injured muscle, that's the quickest way to re-injure it. Slowly ease back into running as it heals as long as you can do so without pain. Tom
        Thank you! I am compressing while icing as much as I can, and I've been putting my foot up too. It was actually feeling a ton better until I scurried around in heels a lot this afternoon at my internship... I'm not sure if it was the shoes, the scurrying, or a combination of the two! What I'm noticing right now is that it is kind of leaving the inner thigh area and making its way toward the front of the hip. Does that mean it's moving its way out? Big grin I'm just so motivated to run my marathon that I'm not wanting to take any more than a few days off... I mean, I'll do what I have to but injuries suck big time.
          Should I be stretching it? Smile K
          No. If its a pulled muscle or micro tear,,stretching will aggravate, a rub down after icing will help the blood come to the area and improve healing,, when you start back,, run slow at first instead of stretching. Although, I've never had pain from a muscle tear move around. Take it slow when you get back on the road,,, you have plenty of time.
          invisible

Ditto on what my short legged, long armed Smile friend Figbash said, except after a few days RICE turns into MICE. The M is movement.
            90 percent of the game is not giving up.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Should I be stretching it?
              I know someone already responded to this, but I say it again for emphasis. No. No no no no no . No. NO. As a prolific puller/strainer of hamstrings, I've learned that aside from sprinting, stretching a pulled/strained muscle is about the worst thing you can do to it. It won't heal. R.I.C.E followed by movement, but no stretching.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks everyone. OK, no stretching. That is probably advice that would have helped me in the past, looking back! haha... either way, what is really weird to me is that it seems to have moved from the inner thigh to the front of the hip. My boyfriend (who is also a runner, more experienced than I am) says that's happened to him before- it hurts one place, then another, and then it goes away. He says that the pain is "moving out". haha. I can only hope he's right! Anyone else have similar experiences?