2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, last year I ran the first half easy, the next quarter slow, and still had nothing left for the last quarter. Something was wrong that I don't think Bob's pace band would have helped. 

bhearn

Can you build in a bathroom break between miles 8 and 10 into our 2:59:40 band? 30-40 seconds should be enough.

If I go for it it's gotta be a PR (2:58:14). I'm not gonna kill myself again for a non-PR sub-3, like I did at Tucson. Just not worth it, I have other running goals. So I think it will be a 2:57: xx pace band, or a 3:15ish fun run.

flauta

Having hit a slight fade my first Boston 2 years ago and a huge fade last year, I like this approach.  I am going to give it a try.

It's really pretty simple: the idea is just to take the first half easy, pick it up a bit at the half, run solid through the hills, and kick in from the top of Heartbreak. Those last 5 miles can be very, very fast. But a lot of people are really hurting there because they took the first half too fast, and when they get through the hills and to the big downhill, they discover that their quads are shot.

I started with some topography-adjusted splits, from a website that I'm sure no longer exists. The problem with just trying to run a locally optimal race is that it ignores the global course profile. So I took those, put them in a spreadsheet, and adjusted them for a slight negative split, with all the speed backloaded to the last 5 mies. Specifically, for goal X with desired negative split Y (I typically use about 30 seconds here), I first scale the splits for a goal time of X + Y, then rescale them for even first / second half splits, then finally take off the time Y I added, all from the last 5 miles.

Yes, I have had good luck. My first year at Boston (2005) I used a standard pace band, and did a standard Boston newbie blowup, missing my time by more than half an hour. Very, very painful. In 2006 I got smarter, ran a 2-minute positive split, pretty typical for a Boston run reasonably well. Since then I've adopted the above strategy and run negative splits every year, with three PRs. Really this is the easy way to run the course. There's nothing like the feeling of flying by everyone else in the last few miles. If you get to the top of Heartbreak and discover that you just don't have it in you to turn up the speed... well imagine how you'd feel then if you'd already used even more effort to get there, as almost everyone does. If you misestimate what you're capable of, this approach minimizes the damage.

MTA Oh yeah -- I also tweak the first few miles to be a bit slow, as you are jammed in anyway, and for marathons it's a good idea to get your warmup in during the race.

Julia1971

I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler tomorrow.  I'm going to try not to race it.  I really, really, am going to try not to race it.  But, I'm super excited because the blossoms are in full bloom which is very rare for this race.

Otherwise...  My high hamstring/piriformis issue has mostly resolved itself.  The pain has gone away but I still feel like my range of motion in my hip isn't what it used to be.  But, being able to run without pain is enough for me..  And, I've mostly planned the details of my weekend - expo on Saturday, shake out run on the Esplanade on Sunday, drinks with a couple friends somewhere on Boyleston after the race, and then back home early Tuesday morning.

mikeymike

I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler tomorrow

And just to tie things back to the aforementioned Bui, he's down there to time that race. Enjoy!

Runners run

lagwagon

I started with some topography-adjusted splits, from a website that I'm sure no longer exists. The problem with just trying to run a locally optimal race is that it ignores the global course profile. So I took those, put them in a spreadsheet, and adjusted them for a slight negative split, with all the speed backloaded to the last 5 mies. Specifically, for goal X with desired negative split Y (I typically use about 30 seconds here), I first scale the splits for a goal time of X + Y, then rescale them for even first / second half splits, then finally take off the time Y I added, all from the last 5 miles.

Thanks B, I like the concept and it makes sense.  Not sure I have enough control over my race day pacing to execute against a finely tailored plan but i'll take a close look at the paces and likely give it a go.

Target pace is tough to decide this year.  My 2:55Tight lippedx last year came on a totally flat course on a moderately windy day.  I've had a decent winter of training, esp last month or so, but not enough experience at the marathon to know how it'll translate.  Hoping its good weather (and my chest cold clears up) so I can be ambitious next Monday.

MTA:  would be interested to know the thinking original author applied to figure the topography adjusted splits, but suspect thats in the dark internet somewhere now

Julia1971

And just to tie things back to the aforementioned Bui, he's down there to time that race. Enjoy!

I'm not sure which aspects he does but the timing/results for CB10M are first class.

It was a perfect day for racing.  I'm hoping Mother Nature will give us the same for Boston - 46 degrees at the start, no noticeable wind.  I ran 7:25ish pace, which is a little faster than goal marathon pace but not an all out effort.  For most of the race, I was in the 7:30-7:40 range but I kicked it in to high gear for the last 2 miles.  I couldn't help myself.  Smile

There was some issue on the course, so it wasn't 10 miles.  More like 9.5.  I'm kinda glad this wasn't a race where I was going for a PR or this might have upset me.

And since I wasn't racing, I committed one of the worst hobbyjogger sins and stopped to take a picture of the last mile on Hains Point.  It's such a rare treat to have the trees in full bloom during the race that I wanted to capture it:

But, the highlight of the day was meeting up with some of the Marathoner Daily forumites before and after the race.

Compression tights are on and I'm actually going to start packing for Boston today.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That is a beautiful course!

Julia1971

That is a beautiful course!

Most years it soul crushingly boring.  I think I've only run it one other time when the blossoms were in bloom.

BTW, I read on FB through a commenter that it was an accident with a fatality that caused the rerouting.  I don't see that reported in the local news but that would certainly explain why they rerouted the course.  (Edited to add: Now I'm reading the pedestrian survived and was transported to the hospital).  I wish I'd known it was something that serious before writing about any sort of disappointment about the race.  I feel bad that I didn't think it might have been a tragic morning for someone and their family.

Julia1971

Question: I've read that some runners will bring an extra pair of shoes to the AV in case the ground is wet...  In the years I've ran, I wouldn't have thought this would be necessary.  But, given all the snow that fell this year...  I'd like to fit everything in one duffel bag and shoes take up a lot of space.

mikeymike

There are no bags period in the AV so whatever you don't run in you have to toss. I wouldn't bring an extra pair of shoes, personally. The ground should not be that wet unless it's pouring, in which case dry shoes won't even matter.

Runners run

FSBD

I was planning on wearing a worn out pair of running shoes that are ready to be donated already and carrying the ones I'm planning on racing in. But I am a notorious over preparer so Mikey's advice is probably better.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Julia1971

There are no bags period in the AV so whatever you don't run in you have to toss. I wouldn't bring an extra pair of shoes, personally. The ground should not be that wet unless it's pouring, in which case dry shoes won't even matter.

Thanks!  I would think it would need to be a complete mud pit to want an extra pair of shoes.  (And, I meant one duffel for all my stuff for the whole weekend.  I'm hoping the only thing I take to the AV that I have to leave behind is a trash bag to sit on in case it is wet).

flauta

I agree.  just as a clarification, I do think you can bring a small bag for food and sports drink only:

From the baa site:

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/allowable-and-prohibited-items.aspx

ALLOWABLE AND PROHIBITED ITEMS FOR OFFICIAL PARTICIPANTS ON RACE DAY

In consultation with public safety officials and in order to ensure the safety of all Boston Marathon participants, spectators, and partners, the B.A.A. will enforce the following rules on race day. As always, official participants may be required to pass through security checkpoints when entering Marathon venues on race day and all items being carried are subject to inspection by the B.A.A., contracted private security personnel, venue personnel and law enforcement officers. (see map to the right, click to enlarge)

Allowable items for official participants: Runners may carry the following items on race day. Any such items are subject to inspection at any time.

• A one gallon clear plastic bag to carry food items or sports drink only. This bag is subject to search. (only one clear plastic bag pack per runner).
                              • Fanny pack (no larger than 5 inches x 15 inches x 5 inches) to carry food, nutritional products, medicine, identification, cell phone, home/hotel key or other similar and necessary small items (only one fanny pack per runner).
                              • Standard manufactured “fuel belt” (bottles must be one liter or smaller).
                              • Armband, which can carry a cellular phone or small camera.
                              • The use of headphones is discouraged, but permitted.

Please note: Additional layers of clothing may be worn on B.A.A. Shuttle Buses and in Hopkinton for warmth before the race. Clothing that will not be worn during the race must be discarded in Hopkinton and will be donated to a local charitable organization.

bhearn

Well that's a nice change from last year, when no bags were allowed, period.

Still, I have to say that all the security stuff has  really changed the experience. I likely would not be there this year if I didn't have a 10-year streak to maintain. The terrorists won.