ING Georgia Marathon Race Report (Read 705 times)

I woke up bright and early at 4 AM this morning for my very first marathon, the ING Georgia Marathon. I chose this to be the first because 1) My hometown marathon, the Mercedes Marathon went to a double loop format this year and that didn't seem as interesting as their original route, 2) My best friend lives there close to downtown Atlanta, and I knew she'd take good care of me afterwards, and 3) I figured the terrain would be similar to that of Birmingham so I could more easily train. It was fun getting on the MARTA train this morning and seeing that everyone aboard was going to the race. The start was set at Centennial Olympic Park, which is a pretty big area. Once I managed to do gear check, I hit the bathroom line for one final go around 6:30 AM for a race start at 7:04. Long story short, after trying a few different lines in various sections of the park, I knew there was no way I was going to make it, so I headed to corral 3 to find my pace group. My basic plan, from the premise that a marathon is a 20-mile warm-up to a 10K race, was to get in the 9:45 pace group for the first 20 and then if I felt like it, keep picking it up till the end. Now, I knew my plan would have to change in order to get to a restroom once I was on the course. When the race started, the pace group took off like lightning, and I spent the first few miles trying to get into the pack. Finally, I caught a break and was able to catch up, and given that there was a lot of long downhills in the first part of the race, I decided to take advantage of my strengths to try to get ahead of them so that maybe I could rejoin them after I found relief from all the awesome hydrating I'd done in the lead-up to the race. But every time I passed a port-a-potty, it had a line 10-15 people deep, so I kept going. By mile 6 the situation was getting a little dire and I had to slow down a bit, but I knew the half-marathon folks would be splitting off at 7, so maybe things would get better. The 4:15 pace group reappeared, and when I finally was able to stop at mile 8, I knew that was probably the last time I'd see them. After the split off, the marathoners go to Druid Hills, Decatur, and Druid Hills again. Druid Hills really lives up to its name...long downhills which were nice for my efforts to make up some time, but some really long uphills that sapped my energy. My pace dropped to a little more than 10 min/mi for some of those sections. Decatur was a long section, but entertaining signs and a lot of crowd support, as well as hills that were more of the "rolling" variety made this one of the more pleasant sections of the race. At the end of Decatur, we hit the 13.1 mark, and I decided I was feeling pretty good. My ankle that plagued me during training had bugged me around mile 3ish, but at this point, the only thing that seemed to be taking a beating was the soles of my feet. I also wished that I hadn't ditched my throw-away gloves and shirt early in the race, since I was now going to be going against a strong, cold wind from now till the finish. Up, up, up we went. Somehow they seemed to have found a route that was entirely uphill. The neighborhood around Oakhurst had orange slices at the top of a particularly long hill, which was timely, and I followed that up with my second Oatmeal Creme Pie (those work better on my stomach than the gels, although I did alternate with gels to get the extra electrolytes since Gatorade also bothers me). And then I totally caught my second wind. Between miles 18-20, the hills seemed so much easier. I passed so many people. At 20, I was still smiling and I knew that I was really going to do this. My longest training run had been 22 miles, and I knew that 22-24 was another long uphill section, so I decided to just continue going at the current pace, which was close to my targeted pace of 9:45, and still felt very comfortable. I had my last gel around 22 to tide me over for the end, and I hung pretty tough until mile 24, when things kind of seemed to drag on and my legs were getting really, really fatigued. Starting to stress out just a bit, things got worse when, to add to the never-ending uphills (seriously now, who designed this course????), the Kids' Marathon started ON THE SAME COURSE. Suddenly I was surrounded by hundreds of 4 ft tall missiles all running or walking at various speeds, randomly criss-crossing my path. Isn't the average marathon finishing time somewhere between 4:00-4:30...did they really schedule this to occur at the peak arrival time? Very poor planning. I was unimpressed with the finish line as well. Publix Supermarkets was the sponsor and all they had was water, apples, bananas and pretzels. I have been so spoiled by the Mercedes Marathon, which has catered bar-be-que, and more importantly, a vast quantity of students from area schools of massage. If this is the difference between a smallish marathon and a big one, I'll take the small one anyday. It took me 45 minutes of baby steps to make it back up to MARTA to go home. I was utterly unprepared for how much my legs were going to be hurting once I stopped running. After a shower and an afternoon of light shopping, I'm doing much better, but I'm told that tomorrow is going to be even worse. Still, I am thrilled that I finished...not just finishing though, smiling up till the end (at least till the little monsters appeared). And so close to my goal pace (4:17:??, 9:49 min/mi)! I'm going to lean more toward trails after my road relay in May, but I can definitely see more marathons in my future.
      great report and congrats on what sounds like an awesome race [minus the missiles] -- way to go! Big grin

2012= under-goaled

And then I totally caught my second wind. Between miles 18-20, the hills seemed so much easier. I passed so many people. At 20, I was still smiling and I knew that I was really going to do this.
        That speaks volumes about your preparation, and your execution. Great job on your first marathon, I hope you recover quickly and well.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hey, nice marmot!

Awesome race and report! Congratulations! Wow though, the logistics regarding the kids sounds awful. I can't imagine dodging a bunch of kids after having run 24-25 miles. I'd have to believe that, if that were me, the local news would be reporting "Maniac runner ruins kid's marathon! Leaves a wake of tears and skinned knees. More at 11." Your restraint is commendable.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Imminent Catastrophe

I ran it for the third time (FM in the 2007 heatstroke edition and HM in 2008)--I'd forgotten how hilly the course really is, more so than Mercedes, I thought, and that climb by Piedmont Park is rough for the FM runners. It was really crowded too, up until the course split I was continually boxed in trying to get past the slower runners who started up in the front Angry Jen, if you do this again you can hang out in the Embassy Suites and use the rest rooms there, the lobby was full of runners keeping warm. And I agree about the wind--just when I felt warm I'd get a blast of wind and get cold again! I'd love to post a sign at the FM/HM split: SANITY CHECK <---pass fail---=""></---pass>

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

spartygw

I ran the full yesterday as well and set a PR. The weather was perfect for running! It took them until just now to get the results posted and they show everyone's chip time as being the same as the gun time. So I'm wondering if they had a problem with the Alien RFID tags. I thought the course was fair, but the condition of the roads in the city was/is terrible. Lots of potholes and ruts to get hurt in if you were running in a crowd. I didn't see any kids, but I did come up on a BUNCH of walkers finishing the half marathon. They seemed to like to walk 4-abreast and make us run around them. That was pretty annoying. Good race overall though, and hilly as I expected it would be. -gw

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought the course was fair, but the condition of the roads in the city was/is terrible. Lots of potholes and ruts to get hurt in if you were running in a crowd. I didn't see any kids, but I did come up on a BUNCH of walkers finishing the half marathon. They seemed to like to walk 4-abreast and make us run around them. That was pretty annoying.
                +1 on both counts. I saw a few runners step in cracks and fall.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

gw, It looks like you were done before they let the kids loose. There were a few walkers left when I was coming in, but at 4+ hours, they were moving pretty slowly and were easier to dodge than the children. I know what you mean about all the potholes, but I thought it was nice that they had people out there with caution signs warning about the worst of them. It was much easier to see where they were once all the half-marathoners were out of the way. Great job on your new PR!! Ben, I actually did step on a few children (accidentally). As much as I wanted to take my frustration out on the kids, that would have taken far too much energy at that point and really I was much more PO'd at the race director for letting this happen. Here I should be digging deep at the end for a nice finish and I ended up expending the rest of my tank avoiding the tears and skinned knees.
                    I ran it for the third time (FM in the 2007 heatstroke edition and HM in 2008)--I'd forgotten how hilly the course really is, more so than Mercedes, I thought, and that climb by Piedmont Park is rough for the FM runners. It was really crowded too, up until the course split I was continually boxed in trying to get past the slower runners who started up in the front Angry Jen, if you do this again you can hang out in the Embassy Suites and use the rest rooms there, the lobby was full of runners keeping warm. And I agree about the wind--just when I felt warm I'd get a blast of wind and get cold again! I'd love to post a sign at the FM/HM split: SANITY CHECK <---pass fail---=""></---pass>
                    Thanks for the tiP! I don't really think I'll be running this one again, though. Not just because of the kids marathon nonsense, but I just thought it was an expensive race for the lack of frills.
                    spartygw

Just to follow up on my previous post, they have corrected the times now and the chip times are accurate. I actually had a positive split. I knew I was close but now I know for sure. This is the first time I've even come close to a positive split so I am VERY happy. I ran the 2nd half 42 seconds quicker than the first half! Smile Not much of a positive split, but it beats the hell out of my -14:00 split in my first marathon. Gordon Warren PS, one more rant. My Garmin couldn't lock on to a satellite in the 10 minutes before the gun went off. It locked on somewhere during the 1st mile but my data is all pretty much useless to me. I'm an idiot for not turning it on much sooner.
                      xor

Actually, Gordon, that's a negative split. You ran a great race! Thanks for the report, jen. The kids would have bugged me for sure. The hills not as much. Have fun with the relay!

spartygw

Doh! You're right. I'm so used to saying "negative split". Cool
                          xor

Doh! You're right. I'm so used to saying "negative split". Cool
                            Reminds me of medical tests results. "They came back negative." (pause) "Wait. Is that the good one? Or the bad one? Oh! It's the good one. Phew!"

Congrats Jendelush and a well run race and a well written race report. You described the course very well and I have nothing to add to the course description. I love this course. It was my second time running the full. The first year I ran the half. It does a really good job of showcasing the best highlights of Atlanta and Decatur. And the neighborhoods do a good job of support along the way even for those of us in the back of the pack. The weather was the best marathon running weather I've ever experienced. I wore a short sleeve shirt and shorts the entire way and was very comfortable. I was really glad the cloud cover kept the sun out. The wind hit a few times but nothing severe. However, I did hear another guy in my group around mile 21 say he was a little cold and wished he had on a longer sleeve shirt. So I guess what constitutes ideal weather is somewhat relative as are hills. The most significant hills are the Lullwater and Oakdale section in Druid Hills and then the 10th Street climb after Piedmont Park. I was somewhat surprised by the holes on 10th Street but we managed to miss them all and no one fell. We were a little over an hour behind you (5:30 group) so the kids were not an issue for us but I have sent an email to the RD concerning the Kid's race that starts so late on the last mile of the course. I know of other marathons that have a kid's component (Oklahoma City Memorial, for example, which is an excellent race for those of you looking for a race next month) but they start them right after the main marathon/half runners take off and only use a portion of the course that doesn't interfere with runners. I'm not sure what they were thinking. Foodwise, Publix did an excellent job having apples, bananas, cookies and a few other items for all the runners, even the back of the packers at the finish. Publix also furnished a lot of the water and gatorade station supplies along the course. Hope to see everyone back next year.
                              USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010