Advice needed 4.8 mile or 10 mile run... (Read 360 times)

Hi Everyone, Well I'm trying to decide what to do on an upcoming race this weekend. The option is a 4.8 mile or a 10 mile race. I'm not really concerned about time, just another race to prepare for an upcoming HM (plus a cool entry shirt for the "Run thru Hell"...yes there actually is a Hell, Michigan). Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin My original intent last month was to go for the 10 mile, but my mileage has been a bit down because I've missed some days over the last couple of weeks due to vacation and a family funeral. Add to that a nagging MTSS in my left leg, so my gut feeling is to not do the 10 but still participate and do the 4.8 mile. Keep in mind that I am training for a 1/2 at the end of September, so the competitor in me really wants to do the 10 miler, as another milestone, but not at the risk of injury. Any words of advice are welcome, particularly on preparing for the rest of this week for either. I'll probably sign up the day of the race so I have a few days yet to think on it. Thanks! B
      From looking at your log, i think the 4.9 miler is the right choice. You should get up to ten miles before you tun the half in septembe. The fact that you are sore, and you say you are competitive makes me think you would run the ten too hard, and set yourself back. I just worry that the four extra miles and running at race ace might set you back. You a`re too close to September for a setback, now. My advice is just keep slowly increasing your distance, untill you get up to a ten mile long run. The excitement of the half will get you through the other 3.2 miles.