What Compels Us So? (Read 1388 times)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I completely agree with Sully. My husband supports me but he doesn't get it... when I come in from a run he just doesn't get it.... last weekend he asked why I was jumping up and down when I ran my race with a new PR, when I told him I'm so close to under 10mm I wanted to cry out with excitement b/c a year ago I could barely catch my breath going up stairs with the laundry basket let alone run a mile. You guys are the only ones I know that "get" that.
    -Jen
    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
    Kimmie

Glad to see this post. I was just thinking the same thing. I have so many friends and MOST of them do not run. I actually started thinking about doing everything possible to get them to run. What a bond we would have. That is why a place like this is awesome. for example, yesterday I thought I'd set the treadmill to 7:45 pace ( 7.8? I think) and see how long I could run at that pace and I was surprised that I could complete 3 miles before I had to slow it down. I haven't ever done that before. Cool....
        I have to agree, that sometimes this site is almost as addicting as running itself. I further agree that a lot of that has to do with the fact, that we have someone to share it with. I used to be able ot share it with my son, but he's all gorwn up and move out on his own. The wife just doesn't get excited when I come home and say I just broke a 7 min mile or that I ran 6+ miles that night. Nor does she get it, that when I walk in I'm not ready to sit down and eat etc.... So coming here I find I can share if I want to or just simply sit back and absorb and listen to others. At the same time, I can find little bits and pieces (or a whole bunch) of stuff on all types of subjects form running to training to eating etc. And in the process I've met some really great people and have definitely come across some really interesting personalities

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

What compels me? Stability. To sum it up in one word. I still believe I would not have gone longer distances as fast as I did had I not found this site. modal (who fills like dropping some cash to run (maybe walk) a marathon race this weekend Cool )

Vim

kcam

Want to see my Garmin? It's so cool!" Yawn
            After my long runs I load up my Garmin track into Sporttracks and then export it to Google Earth and then call the Boss over and INSIST she peruse every single detail of elevation gain/loss, pace, interesting terrain etc along with my narration of where I saw that gaggle of power-walking ladies taking up the whole trail and where that IDOIT bycyclist that thought he was Lance Armstrong almost take me out. She sighs alot.
              One of my co-workers owns a 305 and doesn't even use it!!! He got it cause it fit his gadget collecting habit. Big grin

Vim

To go out for a run and then come back and yack about it. Is sharing in the Community Forum as addicting as the run itself? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Roll eyes
                "It's important that someone celebrate our existence... People are the only mirror we have to see ourselves in. The domain of all meaning. All virtue, all evil, are contained only in people. There is none in the universe at large. Solitary confinement is a punishment in every human culture." ~Lois McMaster Bujold

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.