visiting Boston area - run route suggestions, part of marathon course? (Read 484 times)

chuckstone

Hi all, Will be visiting my son in the Boston area next weekend and am thinking about where to run (hopefully without too much vehicle traffic). Son doesn't run, but will ask him too. I think it would be fun to run part of the marathon course, maybe including heartbreak hill. Any thoughts on that or just suggested areas to consider would be greatly apreciated. I plan to run about 5 miles Friday and 10 on Saturday and would probably start around 7 am (whatever that means about traffic). We will stay at the Somerville La Quinta Inn on Cummings St. Thanks! Chuck
    jeffdonahue

If you have a car, you can drive out onto 128 and pick up the marathon course right before it starts the big uphill section. I think there are probably a few places for you to park there as well. I used to drive there at lunch to watch parts of the race.

Right on Hereford...

When I lived in Boston I wasn't much of a runner, but the Esplanade bridge loops are probably the nicest running routes in town. See http://www.soundkeepers.com/running/boston.html. You could do BU/Longfellow (4.6) or BU/Science Museum (5.6) for your shorter run, and Eliot/Science Museum for your longer run. Watch for the pedestrian overpass if you're crossing the BU Bridge from south to north. Otherwise you'll arrive underneath the bridge and have no way to get onto it! You can see what I mean by closely inspecting a Google Maps satellite view of the area. Also, the Harvard Bridge is completely misnamed. It should be called the MIT Bridge. I can't comment on the marathon course, having never run it.
          You can also take the Orange or Red line from Somerville to the Green D line out to Woodland stop and run the last 9 miles (Heathbreak Hill) if you have no car. Follow the see of people to Boylston St who are trying to get miles on the course. Then jump on train home.
          mikeymike

There's a running path not too far from the door of your hotel, along the Mystic. Or if you want to run some of the marathon course, as Bucci said, take the Green Line to Woodland and run the Newton Hills.

Runners run

chuckstone

Thanks for the replies. That is what I was hoping for. I'll study the maps so I can be comfortable with getting around. Driving around there has been not been much of a success story for me. Smile