Running headlamp? (Read 235 times)

lilcat19

So, I am having to run in the dark and the sidewalk I run on has some nice uneven cracks (already wiped out once and had some nasty abrasions) so I am looking to get a headlamp to run. Does anyone have any recommendations for what one to use?

Birdwell

Black Diamond Revolt

On sale at REI for under $40.

Built in USB charger for the rechargeable batteries that are included. Spot and flood setting.

A perfect light, as far as I am concerned.

Mysecondnewname

Black Diamond Sprinter

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Sprinter-Headlamp-Titanium/dp/B003PQW4LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409012125&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+sprinter

This is one of the best running accessories I've ever bought.  I love it because:

1.  It is super light (3.7 oz total)--can't even feel it.

2.  Does not bounce

3.  Fit's over the running cap I wear and has an adjustable lamp angle to still illuminate well (very important with caps)

4.  Lasts about 7 hours on one charge when used in max brightness mode.  Can last even longer if you are willing to turn the light down.

5.  Rechargeable battery is in the back and serves double duty as a rear red light, which is helpful for rear traffic

6.  Comes with a cord/base that charges via USB or via outlet (with a standard USB/Outlet adapter--not included, but cheap to buy).

7.  Very comfortable.

Con: the rechargeable batteries are not replaceable.  However, I think the weight saved is worth it.

My only suggestion would be to find it locally and try it on.  In my experience, if it feels snug, then it's going to fit just right for a run (at least for how much my head moves during a run).

Good luck!

Fruchtenstein

I've got two: Fenix HP11 and Silva Trail Runner Plus. I use Fenix mostly for XC skiing, because its battery compartment is attached to the headband and sometimes annoys when running.  Silva is mostly for running. It's rather bright, but in my experience it doesn't really help on uneven surfaces. The light from headlamps makes your way look more flat than it is. May seem strange, but for me headlamps work on partially lit streets even worse than in complete darkness.

For uneven terrain I actually prefer a hand torch.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Black Diamond Sprinter

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Sprinter-Headlamp-Titanium/dp/B003PQW4LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409012125&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+sprinter

This is one of the best running accessories I've ever bought.  

Totally agree!  I love this headlamp.  At max strength, its beam almost matches a car headlight.  I decided to buy this headlamp 2 years ago after a few bad encounters with black bears --  including one time at 5am where I was using a weak headlamp and accidentally thought my neighbor left his garbage can on the sidewalk. Since it was blocking my path, I was about to move it -- and then my cheap headlamp's weak light illuminated 2 yellow eyes about 4 feet away.  The eyes were connected to about 400 lbs of black fur and muscle (and teeth and claws).  So much for the garbage can. And my planned easy run turned into an impromptu sprint interval.

I bought the Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp the same day. Also:  I sweat like crazy here in Florida, and I've had no problems with the headlamp becoming wet during my runs -- it also serves as a nice sweatband too.

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

Looks like Daddy just got a new toy -  Shufflefaster & SteamboatWillie, you should get some type of kickback as I just placed my order on Amazon. Smile

I do 90% of my runs in the dark from now until March due to the days getting shorter and have been dealing with cheaper lights for the past few years that either brake or wear out too quickly, yet I am always a little uneasy out there since I pretty much stick to the roads for most of my runs!

I hope it works as well as both of you have indicated it will!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp15-expedition-headlamp-yellow/

Used it for a 12 hour night run. it has an extension cord which let's you put the battery pack in your pocket or fanny pack. The battery last for 2.5 - 3 hours on the brightest setting. As the battery drain the 4 setting reduce 3-2-1. I replaced the battery at  2. City guy.  Woodlands are not my thing.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Another vote for the Black Diamond Sprinter.  I bought mine back in 2010.  Wear it almost every day from September to April.  It has survived runs in sub-zero weather, blizzards, pouring rain, and heat and humidity.

Birdwell

You sprinter wearers. Doesn't the battery pack on the back of your head get annoying?

Is it noticeable? Or does it just blend in after a while?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I also endorse the BD Sprinter.  I've had mine over a year and use it 4-5 mornings a week. No complaints at all.  I wear it on a Spibelt with the battery in the back.  I don't like lights on my head.

Runner with a riding problem.

lilcat19

Bought the black diamond sprinter. Will let y'all know what I think when I try it out.

Mysecondnewname

You sprinter wearers. Doesn't the battery pack on the back of your head get annoying?

Is it noticeable? Or does it just blend in after a while?

I had the same concern, but after using it for a couple of runs, I didn't even notice it.  (I do wear it with a running hat, however, so I'm not sure how it would feel directly on my head)

The other thing that initially felt weird was the snugness.  I thought at first it was a bit tight, but quickly realized it was just right for me.  That optional strap over the top helps a lot with eliminating movement.

One other tip--the charging base isn't he most robust thing in the world.  For some reason, the base/plug connection of the charger doesn't always connect well on mine.   If for some reason the red/green light LED doesn't light up when you plug in the charger, just reseat the plug into the base and it'll be fine. (I would also recommend not repeatedly disconnecting the charging base from the cord, as that socket just doesn't seem as sturdy as it could be).  The battery pack needs to gently snap into the charger base--you can't just lay it in there.  You'll know you've got it right when he red/green LED turns to solid red.   (It'll turn solid green when the charge is done)

Finally, for some reason, I found the instructions on how to thread the top strap were a bit confusing to me.  If any buyers have trouble, just PM me and I'll post a picture.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Got an LL Bean headlamp for Christmas a few years ago and its the best one I've ever used. 4 different settings/brightnesses, water resistant, adjustable head band, doesn't move when running even well into a longer run, and its backed with a life time warranty! It broke a few months back, brought it in to the store and they happily gave me a new one for free! The headlamp retails for $25.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

Black Diamond Sprinter arrived last night - headed out for my long run at 3:55am today, so I had two solid hours of darkness before I was able to turn it off.   I LOVE THIS THING!   Very lightweight.   I rarely wear a headband but that is what I would say it felt like on my head.

A bit of advice, when you take out of the box and turn it on for the first time make sure the light isn't facing you - its really damn bright.   I was seeing stars for about a minute after I did that.  That wasn't a very bright (pun intended) move by me.   What was funnier was that my daughter walked in and saw it on the counter and did the same damn thing 10 minutes later before I could warn her. Smile

Less than a mile into my run I saw five sets of eyes (deer) staring at me in a nearby field.   Ended up seeing probably 15 deer, 5 raccoons, and 2 toads that I almost stepped on, so that also added some life to what can be a pretty boring long run when so much of it is done in the dark.  Best of all I felt considerably safer with any vehicular traffic that I encountered.

Thanks again for the advice.   I'm pretty frugal, so I didn't like spending $54 buck on this, but I am now certain it will be money well spent.