What is your favorite speed workout? (Read 207 times)

hectortrojan

Answered none of the above as I like to run in certain HR range

muppy

Voted none of above.

Gotta love the ladder workout!

2 miles warm up

2 miles at HM pace

2x1 mile at 10K pace

2x1/2 mile at 5K pace

1 mile cool down

Honestly, I'm not going to try and bullshit the physiological effects of the ladder workout. To me it's just a VO2 max workout. I don't try and hurt certain times, I try to hit effort. For instance I started my 1600 at 5:33 and just progressively got faster as the distance shortened where I hit a 1:09 on my 400.

and JeFfFgoBlue [trying to type that is hard] Ladder workouts have always confused me. I think the problem is that I like to hook into ONE pace per workout (mile pace, 800 pace for faster repeats, 5k pace for longer ones etc.) and have difficulty shifting all around. I get the psychological relief of ever-shorter repeats, but for me it's a lot easier to pick a single distance and try to run it at the same pace or just slightly faster over the course of the workout... doing a ladder is confusing. If you are running at the same pace for all of the repeats, I don't see the point, and if you are running each one at a different pace, for me it woudl seem like it wouldn't teach my body the desired pace.
        mikeymike

and JeFfFgoBlue [trying to type that is hard] Ladder workouts have always confused me. I think the problem is that I like to hook into ONE pace per workout (mile pace, 800 pace for faster repeats, 5k pace for longer ones etc.) and have difficulty shifting all around. I get the psychological relief of ever-shorter repeats, but for me it's a lot easier to pick a single distance and try to run it at the same pace or just slightly faster over the course of the workout... doing a ladder is confusing. If you are running at the same pace for all of the repeats, I don't see the point, and if you are running each one at a different pace, for me it woudl seem like it wouldn't teach my body the desired pace.

Maybe its as much a mental workout as a physical one. Racing is as much a mental test as a physical one.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Maybe its as much a mental workout as a physical one. Racing is as much a mental test as a physical one.

Yes -- forcing yourself not to settle for a pace, increasing intensity as fatigue increases... ah I need to get back in shape!!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

and JeFfFgoBlue [trying to type that is hard] Ladder workouts have always confused me.

My favorite thing about a pyramid workout is that when you're descending the pace scale things get harder and harder: so say your bottom is 6:00pm and the one before is 6:10.  When you're going back up, even though you're more fatigued than on the way down that 6:10 feels a LOT easier than it did the first time.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

My favorite thing about a pyramid workout is that when you're descending the pace scale things get harder and harder: so say your bottom is 6:00pm and the one before is 6:10.  When you're going back up, even though you're more fatigued than on the way down that 6:10 feels a LOT easier than it did the first time.

That makes sense and I have experienced it, so thanks for the explanation.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Yes -- forcing yourself not to settle for a pace, increasing intensity as fatigue increases... ah I need to get back in shape!!

Exactly.  This is how you learn to "flip the switch".  And this is why stadjak will go sub-3 next time.  His coach has set up a lot of workouts with him running at "increasing intensity as fatigue increases".

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it