How often do you leave your GPS at home? (Read 136 times)

there's also the idea that "if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen".

I feel that way about my weekly miles, I like to have them all on my polar flow app, which requires using the watch.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

oldfartrunner

Most days for me. Smile

I run the same routes on easy days and I run how ever I feel, but track my weekly/monthly mileage. I wear a regular watch for intervals that I have marked off with a survey wheel, so only need it like once, maybe twice a week.

I will strap it on when I race or do a sustained Tempo, or LR, or run a new route and on a trail so I can get an idea of elevation gain and miles ran.

jfa

If I'm training for something, I'll wear it. If not, I'll leave it home. I have enough routes and know the mileage so I can keep track of that without one.

During the best marathon I ever ran, I had the GPS on but did not look at it once. My miles were all within a 10 second range, just going by feel.

That was when I was very well trained.

GinnyinPA

My Garmin is the only watch I own, so I wear it all the time. When running, I generally don't pay a lot of attention to it, unless I'm working at slowing down my pace. (I always run easy runs too fast). I enjoy looking at the splits afterwards, but I am rarely concerned during my runs.

I own a Suunto Ambit3S and its an incredible amount of data that it gathers.

I use it for all runs. But actually really need it for all quality workouts being intervals, strides, tempo runs goal pace runs etc. I follow the JD plans and they are very specific and diverse in pace...

I have also used the watch to check how I was doing during the recent half - since I am new to racing it really helped me keep my pace.

The Ambit3S is a solid watch but it is a bit impresize and requires an additional hr monitor. I am slowly shifting towards the Fenix 5S. Which is one of those things that I don't really need - but then some part of my tells me the exact opposite...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

I would sooner cut off a foot than leave my Garmin at home!  I like the data- mainly after the run.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Prince of Fatness

I use it all the time but don't pay attention to it.  The main reason that I always use it is that it is so easy to upload my runs to the log here on RA using the bluetooth connection.  It's so much easier than logging the run manually.

Not at it at all. 

I don't have a GPS, and I think I don't want one. On the fairly rare occasions that I'm running on an unfamiliar, unmeasured course, I use my phone. In such circumstances, it's probably better to have a phone, for its maps, communication, and camera.

That said, I may end up getting a Garmin because I have accumulated so many gift certificates to the LRS, and don't have anything else to spend them on.

Do it.  Join us on the Dark Side...Love my Garmin. 

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

KCRuns

I never leave it at home.  I love the data and tracking my mileage (and syncing that data across multiple sites), but it's also a safety thing for me.  Using the Garmin let's me use their Livetracker feature so DH can track me when I'm out running, especially when it's dark or likely not many other people around.  It also lets him know exactly where I am on the race course so he knows when/where to be looking to cheer for me during races.  He also uses the feature sometimes on weekends to know when I'm close to home so he can call and see if I want to stop at Dunkin' Donuts for him 

Seattle prattle

Truth is, i just have a thing for gadgets. Just about every run i'm toting the Garmin GPS/Running watch, Scosche HR monitor strap, MP3 player, earbuds, and if it is night (when i do most of my running), add to that an LED headlamp and a blinking LED bulb. And I couldn't think of running without any one of them.

If that's not sad enough, i own several of all of the above, for a variety of reasons that all seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.

Feeling the growl again

If it's an unknown route and I give a care I'll wear the GPS. I've lived in my current location for 11 years, there is no need for a GPS on routes I have run 100s of times.  All I need is the time.  I travel a ton, but frankly I'm a has-been, and usually I just chrono the time and estimate the pace and call it good enough.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

fimmx

I wear it but hardly look at it. I like analyzing the run after the fact and taking notes on how I felt vs what the garmin showed.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Truth is, i just have a thing for gadgets. Just about every run i'm toting the Garmin GPS/Running watch, Scosche HR monitor strap, MP3 player, earbuds, and if it is night (when i do most of my running), add to that an LED headlamp and a blinking LED bulb. And I couldn't think of running without any one of them.

If that's not sad enough, i own several of all of the above, for a variety of reasons that all seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.

Don’t worry about it as I have 3 Ipod shuffles just for running....shuffle 1 is for new stuff that I’ve downloaded and want to check out...shuffle 2 is for current music that I’m digging...and shuffle 3 is for all my old favourites. And I have way too many earbuds and headphones.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

BeeRunB

Never,  I'm a dataholic and distance is a major ingredient in my datahol fix.