Running with a Head Lamp (Read 1134 times)

dennrunner

Not to be confused with El Fenix, a Mexican food chain here in Dallas.

Unusual chips.  Very good, though. Addictive.  Never understood the crowds on Wednesdays for the Enchilada special—to save like a buck.

xor

Plus, their commercial jingle is stuck in my head from 35 years ago.

El Fenix is the finest place where everyone may go
      To get the food and atmosphere of friendly Mexico
      Tamales and Tortillas are among the favorites here...
      The Guacamole salad and the Carte Blanca beer
      Tostadas, Enchiladas and the Tacos, meat and cheese
      And all the other dishes that are cooked and served to please

El Fenix...

El Fenix...
      El Fenix is the finest place of great Martinez fame

I think I have the last line wrong.

fanreffic

I bought one of those 5 led clip on lights for last winter.  I wanted something that I could just clip on to a hat, since I wear one 90% of the time.  But got a major case of petzl envy when a runner came by me wearing one and it was like a car's headlamp compared to my tiny penlight.  Since then I got a tikka, and what a difference.  I tested them one run wearing both and the petzly covers 10 times the area of the clip-on.  I could turn the clip-on off and not even notice the difference.  And the petzl works just as well even when worn OVER the bill of a hat.  I'm probably losing some light, but don't notice it and it's more comfortable that way I found.
          I run with a petzl tikka plus head lamp for road running and it works pretty well. I usually run with a headsweats hat and the brim keeps light out of my immediate view. Perhaps that helps with motion sickness, maybe not.

When I run trails at night I combine the headlamp with an MTE LED hand flashlight. It's crazy bright. I call it my portable sun. Lights up single-track trails at night very well and has been the brightest light in the bunch when I go caving with friends. (this is the one.)

lostinacrowd

Dude. Get the Petzl Tikka XP2. It's so sweet! I also considered the Plus2, but I'm really happy with the XP2. I use rechargeable AAAs and every 8 hours of use or so I recharge them. SOoo bright. I only trail run and it works well. Lightweight too.

Good luck!

twrex7

I use the GoMotion Trail 3W LED trail vest.

It's not as reflective as I would like for road use but it does a great job of lighting up the trail or road infront of you.  Also allows me to carry my keys / phone and a 1.5L camelpack if I want.

Well worth the ~$80 price.

I rock the Petzl Tikka 2 - the thing was like 25 bucks and it has been perfect. I also picked up a petzl signal red flasher and I clip that to the back of the strap so I have a red brake light on the rear of my dome...alas, those AND my reflective gear are still not enough to stop a few close calls every couple months. Idiot drivers.