Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

DukeDB

I'm in. 20:08 this past weekend, but I'm looking to run 2 longer races in the first quarter of 2012 so I might not have a good crack at 5K PR for awhile. Am running a New Year's Eve 5K, but with a stroller for my son. I've never been under 20. I could read the clock Saturday night from pretty far from the finish line - very frustrating to see 19:30 and not make it.
      So anyone have some good speed workouts for a 20:00 5k

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

RootieKazootie

Thanks for the new thread Troy. Count me in. Done 19:38 in February but just got back to fitness after

3 months off. My workouts say i'm in better shape now, so i'm gunning for closer to 19 mins. At the very

least i want to beat Michigan Flyers 19:35 Big grin

I'm not doing much real speedwork. Just a weekly tempo run of 7 - 8 miles around 6:50 - 7:00 pace, and the

odd progressive run. Also sometimes throw in a faster last mile on slow runs. Nothing quicker than 6:20 tho.

Just trying to get my miles up to consistently over 40mpw is the key thing for me right now. Just about there.

Good luck all.

I am setting this as a goal too. I doubt I will get it until late summer or even near the end of 2012 though.

Slo

I'm in.

I ran a 20:03 last March. Course was rumored short. 2nd fastest is a 20:19.

As of right now I do not have a target 5k. I am in training to set a new 4 mile pr on Feb 4th. Current is 27:16. Under 27 would be pretty sweet.

Count me in - I got down to 19:33 earlier in the year, but I've had a break (injury enforced) since then and I'm now at around 20:50, so it would be good to get back down below 20.

I'm Betty if you're Al

Include me please.  20:27 for 2011...what a slap in the face.

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

I'm in.  I think I ran a 20:12 in May.  Man that bugged me.

Did a first attempt at some treadmill intervals today:

800 m @ 8:30 pace

800 m @ 6:40 pace

800 m @ 8:30 pace

800 m @ 6:40 pace

400 m @ 8:30 pace

400 m @ 6:20 pace

400 m @ 6:40 pace

400 m @ 7:00 pace

Total was 3 miles in 22:10 but that included some slow cool downs and a half mile warmup.

Felt good.  Actually felt like I could probably hold that 6:40 pace for quite a long time but I always find treadmills deceivingly easier than running on the road!

Will shoot for 1 mile repeats next week

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

This week for me was

M - 8x( 400 @6:00 + 400 easy), 10 min warmup and cool down

T- strength

W- 45 easy w strides

Th- 4 x (1200@6:30 + 4 min easy) with 15 min warmup and cool down

Tomorrow will be weights, then 90 min

Saturday (@8:45) and hopefully 60 on Sunday @8:45.

I'm doing the Daniels blue plan, and I think I'm a believer --- the long runs feel slow, but he knows more than me. And the intervals are definitely getting easier - I'm feeling much more relaxed at a fast pace, even doing some of them faster than planned, which is new. Three weeks ago they were kicking my ass. This should be about 35 miles, which feels like enough for the time being. What are others doing?

Count me in as well.  Best effort last year was 20:17 before knee issues sidelined me for a spell.  No 5K races planned as of yet. Next major event will be a half, followed by a full Marathon in the spring.  Good Luck to the others here in their effort to do the same.

What was I chasing again?

Here's my plan:
                          Now to mid February - Base
                          Run 40 minutes six days a week. The seventh day build to 100 to 120 minutes. No planned quality, but I think the cold and icy Maine conditions will toughen me up.

Mid February to mid March - Tempo
                          Run 40 minutes six days a week, with one of the runs having 15 minutes at tempo pace. The seventh day 100 to 120 minutes, with last 20 minutes at tempo pace. Probably have to build to the 15/20 minute tempo miles. I may increase the number of tempo minutes if I am able.

Mid March to the mid April race - Speed
                          Run 40 minutes six days a week, with one of the runs having 20 minutes at tempo pace. The seventh day 100 to 120 minutes, building to three miles at race pace broken into 400 to 800 meter segments with jogging rest periods in the middle of the longish run.

Bob Bob and Bob

Count me in.

(Do I have to do anything other than reply to this thread to be added?)

Troy.

Count me in.

(Do I have to do anything other than reply to this thread to be added?)

Nope, that's it.

Except that you have to run sub-20 this year.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Put me in for this too.  I was thinking I could have gotten there in 2011, but not quite.  Definitely 2012 though.