Indianapolis Monumental Marathon and Half Marathon Nov 7, 2009 (Read 1068 times)

envirocarl

Followup to the successful Inaugural Indianapolis Monumental Marathon will be held this fall on Saturday November 7, 2009 (week after NYC). Flat fast and scenic course that had nearly 3500 runners from 43 states and 7 countries participate in the first year with great results. Great Boston marathon qualifier. The 2009 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon race will be even better. The start and finish line for the half marathon and full are at the same great location adjacent to the Indiana State Capitol building. Hope you enjoy the following 2008 Highlights video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILICmQjFp4c Total marathon purse is $10,800. Hope we see you at the finish line. Best wishes and happy running. Carlton Ray

Oh Mighty Wing

Carlton - I have this on my calendar!! After meeting you at LPRM, how could I not come run your race!!! Big grin
        As of right now, as long as the fall doesn't get uber hectic, I will be there.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why have two marathons in Indy within about 4 weeks? Confused The well established Indy marathon in October is great.
          Roses Revenge

I have this on my list as a tentative. We need to get back to Indy to visit family and it seems like a good time to do it.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Why have two marathons in Indy within about 4 weeks? Confused The well established Indy marathon in October is great.
              I wondered the same thing. Someone else could probably answer better than me, but the two courses are much different, as October runs through Lawrence and the local suburbs. The Monumental actually hits downtown and through the city. I might be way off being new to Indy and all, but then again, sometimes you get lucky and pin the tail on the donkey.
              C-R

I don't have any inside scoop but during local club runs this is what I hear: the Monumental is connected with Bob Kennedy and a business group close to him. I don't believe there is a financial tie and none has been mentioned. This is the same Bob Kennedy that was a top level runner at IU and nationally. From what I hear they want to make this a "must run event" and tie in as a late fall Boston qualifier with some possible top level runners here. Since Indy marathon is still young (15 years) they see an opportunity to build. The prize money is larger than Indianapolis Marathon and the ties with Kennedy, his local stores, equipment companies and elites you can see the angle. Another reason (although I believe this is pure BS) is that the Indy Marathon is run in Lawrence (a burb) and not really an Indianapolis race so Indianapolis needs to have a race through its proper city limits. Yeah I know - its lame. I did not run it last year but heard some good comments from club runners about the race as far as support and route. I plan on running it this year as well as Indy. Hell I need to do that to train just for surviving the Monkey. It is kind of odd to have two races that close together. There was another marathon attempted a few years back for Spring but it crashed and burned in a major way. The Indy Marathon is a great fall race with super support and IMO and ideal size.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/