Garmin Woes (Read 216 times)

delicate flower

Problems, problems, problems.  I have lost so much confidence in Garmin products that I've just about given up hope that they'll ever get their shit straight.  The last two problems I had that were related to the recent firmware update:

First, my Garmin 620 was rebooting mid-run.  Then the activity would come up when it rebooted but it'd be rolled back a quarter mile.  This went on for a couple of months, happening sporadically.  Apparently it was HRM related.  Eventually a factory reset and the firmware update seemingly fixed that problem.

Since the firmware update, my tracks have been erratic.  The track on the map has me running way off course, and even starting and stopping my activity in the wrong place.  That certainly explains the weird pace readings I was getting.  Also, since the firmware update my HRM has been acting up.  First it stopped connecting.  A factory reset and battery change fixed that problem .  I did that a week ago.  Just last night I got a low HRM battery warning.  The battery is a week old, and I turn OFF the watch when not in use.  This is a new problem.  How can a HRM monitor, when not in use, drain its battery? Anyone?

Seriously, it's as if Garmin does absolutely no testing with the software updates.  Their developers must be the types who can not get a job anywhere else.  I am so incredibly frustrated with Garmin.

So I don't have any answers for you, only confirmation that you're not the only one with Garmin problems.

<3

Not sure if this is one of your problems, but occasionally the 310xt will not lock onto the satellites correctly and losses the time and date. When that happens, it reverts back to 3-31-07, which I'm guessing is when the code was written. I think you have to do a soft reset, then leave it on outside to get a lock on the satellites again. I always turn the GPS "OFF" when I walk indoors and its going to lose satellite lock in hopes to avoid the time/date reset.

I bought a 310xt early this spring. It's been nothing but problems.

From not transferring data...to indicating it's transferred data but not showing up on Garmin Connect. It won't shut off, it won't turn on, randomly locks up...

The primary purpose for purchasing this was it was the only model with a 20 hour battery life. It's nice for my attrition bike races.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Not sure if this is one of your problems, but occasionally the 310xt will not lock onto the satellites correctly and losses the time and date. When that happens, it reverts back to 3-31-07, which I'm guessing is when the code was written. I think you have to do a soft reset, then leave it on outside to get a lock on the satellites again. I always turn the GPS "OFF" when I walk indoors and its going to lose satellite lock in hopes to avoid the time/date reset.

Well, the ANT agent makes it really hard not to turn it on indoors.

From time to time the Power Button will not do anything. I can not get it to Turn on...or I'll finish a workout and then can not get it to turn off. If it is On and won't go off the answer and only answer has ever been to do a hard reboot.

In cases where I can not get it to turn on. If I put it on the charger and try pushing on multiple times I can get the boot up screen to pop up for just a few 2nds...then I have to do a made dash at a hard reboot.

Garmin support is useless...same answers all the time. I've reloaded Garmin Express countless times. Removed the garmin device and re-added it. I have asked to trade for a different model, I haven't even had it for 6 months. I simply could not recommend a garmin sports device to anybody. The 305 was much more dependable but still had it's issues.

I'll have to go look at my log and see if I have any entries from 3-31-07.

kcam

I've been wondering why people complain about RA uploads not working once Express is installed.  I think it's the ANT agent uploads that don;t work with Garmin Express installed.  The FR220 watch doesn't upload via ANT agent it uses the USB cradle.  Also, my older 205 uses USB upload tecnology and it also works with Express installed.

Can anyone verify that this is the problem with Express?  I'm just curious.

Julia1971

I've been wondering why people complain about RA uploads not working once Express is installed.  I think it's the ANT agent uploads that don;t work with Garmin Express installed.  The FR220 watch doesn't upload via ANT agent it uses the USB cradle.  Also, my older 205 uses USB upload tecnology and it also works with Express installed.

I think this is right. That it's Express and the Ant Agent that don't get along.  I think I did have Express installed at one point when I was using my 220 and I was able to upload workouts fine.

I'm going to take your advice install Express on one of my computers to make sure everything's current.  I can report back.

mikeymike

I installed Express with my 210 and it continued to work with RA for a while--several weeks at least. Then one day it just stopped working. So I uninstalled Express and re-installed the Garmin drivers and it worked again.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Isn't there a huge warning on the upload page telling everyone not to install Garmin Express?

Copying & pasting it:

Garmin Express is only compatible with Garmin Connect. If you install it, you will no longer be able to upload your workouts to RunningAHEAD.com or any other websites. I am working on a way to work around the problem. Please refrain from installing it until then.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

I see that message every day as I upload my workouts successfully using my fully Garmin Expressed desktop.  So help me out here AP, is it just ANT uploads that are incompatible with Express?  USB uploads work flawlessly on the 220.

Julia1971

I installed Express so I could update my 220.  In the process, I had to uninstall the Ant Agent.  I ran with both watches to see if something is really wrong with my 610.

Of course, after my run, when I plug in the Garmin Ant Agent USB and try to upload the workout from my 610, it doesn't work.  I get a message that says there are no new workouts.  So, I think that's what that warning is saying is, Since Garmin Express and Ant Agent aren't compatible, if you install Express (and in the process uninstall Ant Agent), you can't upload your workouts via Ant Agent.

I put my 220 into the clip and connected it to the USB and my workout on that watch uploaded fine even though Express is installed on this machine.  I think I'll have to use my other computer, that still has Ant Agent installed, to upload the workout from my 610.  Edited to add: I also tried putting the 610 in its charging clip and connecting it to the computer USB to see if Garmin Express would find the device and it wouldn't.  So, I think I have to use the ANT Agent to upload workouts from that device.

FWIW, the difference between the watches was negligible.  The timer on the 610 did seem off but not 1:00/mile off.  So, I may have really just been that much slower last week with the heat/humidity.

Over the past few days, I've noticed that my Garmin 220 has been dropping satellites mid-run on familiar routes where it doesn't normally have any issues.  It hasn't happened with every run, but often enough.  Maybe every 2 or 3 runs.   The lapses are relatively brief, just enough to mess with my head (as in, "why is my pace at 11 min/mile when I was at 8 min/mile a couple of minutes ago and this feels faster?)   I noticed the issue started at roughly the same time I downloaded an update from Garmin Express.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

To be frank, the garmin stuff is so flaky to begin with, I absolutely don't want to add Express woes on top of it, so I haven't tried the Express stuff AT ALL.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I see that message every day as I upload my workouts successfully using my fully Garmin Expressed desktop.  So help me out here AP, is it just ANT uploads that are incompatible with Express?  USB uploads work flawlessly on the 220.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

As soon as I walk indoors with my 310xt and before I'm near enough to the USB Ant Stick to start transferring data, I turn the GPS "OFF" manually. its only a few buttons and its done. You can turn the GPS "off" before saving the workout.

I think I've had mine lock up twice on me and I've owned it for about 3 years.

Well, the ANT agent makes it really hard not to turn it on indoors.

From time to time the Power Button will not do anything. I can not get it to Turn on...or I'll finish a workout and then can not get it to turn off. If it is On and won't go off the answer and only answer has ever been to do a hard reboot.

In cases where I can not get it to turn on. If I put it on the charger and try pushing on multiple times I can get the boot up screen to pop up for just a few 2nds...then I have to do a made dash at a hard reboot.

Garmin support is useless...same answers all the time. I've reloaded Garmin Express countless times. Removed the garmin device and re-added it. I have asked to trade for a different model, I haven't even had it for 6 months. I simply could not recommend a garmin sports device to anybody. The 305 was much more dependable but still had it's issues.

I'll have to go look at my log and see if I have any entries from 3-31-07.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

The 220 acts like a Mass Storage device when you plug in the USB cord and does not use Garmin Express or the Ant Agent. I have a Garmin 810 cycling computer that works the same way and I don't have Garmin Express loaded at all.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

As soon as I walk indoors with my 310xt and before I'm near enough to the USB Ant Stick to start transferring data, I turn the GPS "OFF" manually. its only a few buttons and its done. You can turn the GPS "off" before saving the workout.

I think I've had mine lock up twice on me and I've owned it for about 3 years.

Gotcha...I thought youmeant the whole watch!