Gun Times Suck / MB 5k (Read 542 times)

Running Dad

Finished the Myrtle Beach 5k last nite and much to my surprise in the last 100 yards I looked up at the clock and saw something I've never seen before, 23Tight lippedx. Talk about HTFU. It was a great run. First night time race and although the temps were a little cool, I really didn't mind. I really have to work on my starts though. I thought I was in a good position, didn't want to be one of those that lined up only to run slow, and boy was I wrong. Spent more time the first mile trying to get around people than focusing on anything else. That'll teach me. I probably walked the first, i dunno, minute. I really have to figure out this line placement thingy. But anyways, I PR'd with a 23:52. A whole 1:16 faster than my fastest 5k. Wife was there at the end to help me celebrate. It was great and we're already planning for next year. And for those running right now, hope the weather's not to bad. (hope you understand my groggy, still sleepy mumblings)
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
    jeffdonahue

Nice job - and may I say that you have an extremely consistent looking log Big grin Consistency pays off in the end. In fact, I used to have a quote I think by Shorter that was something like "The more consistent you are in training, the less you need to worry about the quality of any one run." Congrats. But I dont really get the title - why do Gun Times Suck?
      mikeymike

why do Gun Times Suck?
        I'm guessing because there was a crowded start and no start mat, only a finish mat. My suggesttion is run smaller 5K's. But nice job running a PR under those conditions--consitency pays off!

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Great job on your new PR! About lining up in the right spot...here's what seems to work for me. I take a look at last year's results and see where I might have placed if I run the time I'm expecting. I then try to line up with about that many people in front of me. It's not an exact science, but it works pretty well in general.
            Congrats on a very impressive PR....1:16 is huge! Well done! It demonstrates the benefit of racing in cool temps and no sun, as well as the payoff that consistent and persistent training can yield.