Chest pounding (Read 933 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Anyone get this? Where they can feel every heart beat and sometimes a flutter and then <thunk>? It started happening on Monday and hasn't stopped. A quick google search tells me I have anxiety (or coronary Artery Disease - not likely in a 34yo) and I'm afraid to run because I'm worried there's something wrong with my heart. Can anyone else see the irony in this? It's been going on since Monday, and now I can't sleep... Suggestions? MTA: I ran this morning with no ill effects, but it's still happening.</thunk>

http://xkcd.com/621/

Go see a doctor! I hope all goes well.
        Go see a doctor! I hope all goes well.
        +1 I have PVC`s, or what are sometimes called "benign beats." I have a VERY thin chest wall, and I am aware of my heartbeat most of the time. My Doctor assured me that what I have is common, and a lot of people have things like this going on, but usually don`t feel them. Sometimes, my heart will add an extra beat, then wait a second to "catch-up." I have worn a 24hr holter monitor to record these occurences. Usually, stress, lack of sleep, and too much caffeine really aggravates this for me. NOT saying this is what you have. GO see your doctor and get things checked out. At least you will have some peace of mind. Let us know what you find out.
        "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
          I get those, too. Usually when I'm stressed. It feels like something inside my chest is chopping wood. My Dad has a condition called atrial fibrillation, which he got earlier in life than I am now. I don't think it's genetic though but I hope that my running helps avoid me getting it if it is. But I can empathize with you - it certainly makes me feel uncomfortable. Let us know what the doc says.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Imminent Catastrophe

Chest pounding. I thought this would be about gorillas. Speaking of, where's JakeKnight?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, ya, me too, I also kind of imagined a photo of someone beating their chest, and a discussion of whether or not triumphant beating of chest should take place of high-intensity interval training...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Giant Flaming Dork

Chest pounding. I thought this would be about gorillas. Speaking of, where's JakeKnight?
                That's funny. I would much rather have this thread be about Jake as well! I wondered aloud in another thread where the big hairy ape went. I even went through a few posts in the Swamp (2000+ miles/year group) and didn't see him there.

skinnycaponesugar

+1 I have PVC`s, or what are sometimes called "benign beats." I have a VERY thin chest wall, and I am aware of my heartbeat most of the time. My Doctor assured me that what I have is common, and a lot of people have things like this going on, but usually don`t feel them. Sometimes, my heart will add an extra beat, then wait a second to "catch-up." I have worn a 24hr holter monitor to record these occurences. Usually, stress, lack of sleep, and too much caffeine really aggravates this for me. NOT saying this is what you have. GO see your doctor and get things checked out. At least you will have some peace of mind. Let us know what you find out.
                  I'm the same. It is kinda freaky to always be aware of what your heart and our lungs are up to. Interestingly, sometimes I feel as if everything has gone quiet, which is also weird. I think the first time I posted in this forum was about skipped beats and what not Smile Go see your doctor, it's really the best way to make sure everything is fine.

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Everybody has PVCs. Many of us feel them. Coffee, stress, etc increase the chances that you will feel them. OP needs to get them checked out though. Just in case it is something more nefarious.

Giant Flaming Dork

Everybody has PVCs. Many of us feel them. Coffee, stress, etc increase the chances that you will feel them. OP needs to get them checked out though. Just in case it is something more nefarious.
                      Crud. The Trent has spoken. I was hoping that I could get away with not having it checked out... Thanks for the advice, all!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

finney

Resident pinniped

I have a few things. I have PVCs (did the holter thing in my early 20s). Mine are postural. If I bend over too fast a lot of times it will bring one on. Scary as hell when you don't know what they are. I also have chronic upper back problems that have and affect on the muscles in my chest. Every now and then I'll get a muscle twitch that I could swear is my heart, but it's not. I also have a very common sinus arhythmia - my heart speeds up when I breath in. Totally normal variant but can feel a little weird sometimes if I'm already breathing hard. You should get it checked by a doc just for piece of mind though.