Mapmyrun.com Question (Read 1707 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With both GPS and gmap software, the distance is calculated based on the distance between points' latitude and longitude. There should be no difference in distance since they both use the same method. Big grin
    JakeKnight

It all makes sense now.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ah, yes. Uncertainty is built into the fabric of the of the universe. We mustn't neglect the quantum mechanical effects (i.e. the Uncertainty principle) with regard to measuring the exact position and momentum of a runner. I'm sure Eric's working on that as well. Can't leave anything out of our his mapping tool.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Uncertainty. Rotational velocity. We get it. But what about gravity?
          Scout7

San Dimas High School Football Rules!

Just Be

You guys are a bunch of sarcastic bastards. I'm loving every minute of the time I spend reading your posts! Smile
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You guys are a bunch of sarcastic bastards. I'm loving every minute of the time I spend reading your posts! Smile
                Must be Thursday.

Lazy idiot

Must be Thursday.
                  Holy cow! It is!!!!

Tick tock

Just Be

Yes. Uncertainty. Rotational velocity. We get it. But what about gravity?
                    It would make sense (without doing any math to back this up) that the closer you are to the equator the more that gravity would be a factor because of the flattening effect of years of rotation about a single axis. Thus we can conclude that this thread either was or wasn't a huge waste of time depending on ones' frame of reference.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It would make sense (without doing any math to back this up) that the closer you are to the equator the more that gravity would be a factor because of the flattening effect of years of rotation about a single axis.
                      Yes. My point exactly.
                      Thus we can conclude that this thread either was or wasn't a huge waste of time depending on ones' frame of reference.
                      Yes. JK's point exactly.

Lazy idiot

It would make sense (without doing any math to back this up) that the closer you are to the equator the more that gravity would be a factor because of the flattening effect of years of rotation about a single axis. Thus we can conclude that this thread either was or wasn't a huge waste of time depending on ones' frame of reference.
                        Perhaps, but the actual amount of time wasted varies by latitude.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Perhaps, but the actual amount of time wasted varies by aptitude.
                          I think you may be on to something.
                          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

gObLuE - What about the correction for direction vs. Earth's rotation? Can you factor that in? Traveling with the rotation, with each footstroke the runner gets a momentary propulsion forward, and causes and equal and opposite reaction in the spin of the Earth, thus slowing it down. But running against the spin causes the runner to slow, while speeding up the Earth. Does this mean I should look for races that travel predominantly eastward?

Just Be

gObLuE - What about the correction for direction vs. Earth's rotation? Can you factor that in? Traveling with the rotation, with each footstroke the runner gets a momentary propulsion forward, and causes and equal and opposite reaction in the spin of the Earth, thus slowing it down. But running against the spin causes the runner to slow, while speeding up the Earth. Does this mean I should look for races that travel predominantly eastward?
                              Look for races that go predominantly eastward. That way, you'll know you ran a good race when the sun fails to set.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

San Dimas High School Football Rules!
                                Outstanding Bill and Ted reference. Much more clever than the more obvious cry of "NERDS!"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.