NYC Marathon Registration Opens Tomorrow (Read 772 times)

AnneCA

I just sent them my $11 (which is the cost to enter the lottery). Says you find out in June if you made it, and if you did that's when the $171 kicks in. I had a number in 1991 (registration was different then and I had no trouble getting a number), but DNS with injuries and then ended up not running for 15 years or so. Now that I'm running again, I'd love to take care of that little piece of unfinished business. Maybe that sounds silly, and I certainly get all the arguments against a race like NYC, but I'd love to do it anyway. It's annoying that they don't announce the lottery winners until June -- I didn't realize it would be that long. I'm going to do SF (7/26) if I don't do NYC, so I'll be well into SF training before I find out about NYC. I don't know if/when SF registration fills up (I'm not registered yet). It does look like you can defer NYC a year if you do end up a lottery winner, and I know SF lets you switch registration from the whole to the half, so between those two options, if I do win the lottery I'll have some flexibility to decide what looks best for me as the summer kicks in.

On My Horse

$171 is a bit outrageous to run a marathon. You would have thought they would have at least kept their price the same as last year, what with all the economic hub-ub.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imminent Catastrophe

You also have to figure in the astronomical price for a hotel in NYC. No doubt, NYCM is $$$. But I'll still try, it is unique.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

uncontrollable

I applied

peace

ultramarathon/triathlete

For some of us, yesterday (NYC marathon app day) is like the day little kids get to write a letter to Santa telling him what X-mass presents they want. For some of us (like me!) the NYC is BETTER than Christmas (then again, I'm Jewish, but I think you get my drift). I registered about 15 minutes after the application opened. Blush Party because I sit at a desk all day and partly because I obsess over these things. This will be my 4th consecutive running of NYC. I'm in because I have guaranteed entry (ran 9+ of the qualifying races and volunteered at 1+). Easy to do when you live in NYC and race every weekend anyway. It is expensive, I'll give you that. But it is worth it. Like it was said earlier, it takes a LOT to run this thing. I think that when I ran in 2007 it was $90 or $100 bucks. This year I paid $149. Annoying that they keep increasing it, yes, awesome race YES! I pay that much or close to it for the triathlons I do, so I'm used to steep fees. It's the price you pay for an awesome, very well run race. For NYC, you get more than 2 million people watching you do what you love. They cheer for you, give you food and drinks, scream your name wish you luck, tell you to keep going when you feel like you have to stop and walk, and many many of them wish they were doing what you are doing. It's a huge rush. I'm sure you spend 150-200 bucks on all sorts of things that make you feel good. I bought a $200 bottle of scotch a couple of days ago (love scotch!). It'll last longer than the 3+ hours it'll take me to race NYC, but NYC will give me much more lasting pleasure! And another medal Big grin Dear Santa, please give me a PR this year!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Kosherdave live! Please tell us how running like an ostrich helped your running (as per Sport Jester).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Kosherdave live! Please tell us how running like an ostrich helped your running (as per Sport Jester).
                His help was focued on running stairs (since I was training for the Empire State bld race) but it was great advice!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

fanreffic

After wanting to run the NYCM since I started running when I was a kid, I've become one of the nay-sayers. At least for this year, I have no interest in their clown show. I don't mind the cash, I don't mind signing up a year in advance, but I hate the lottery game and the nickel and diming. Moreover, as a Canadian my fee would be over $200 or $250. WTF is that about? They need extra cops for use Canucks? But now they make it even worse odds for internationals, and highly recommend that we use a tour operator for guaranteed entry which basically adds a $1,000 premium over what I'd book for myself, while offering a lesser quality hotel to boot! Never mind that the NYRR really upset me after I took time out of a family vacation to run that stupid Nike Human race which the NYRR organized. I decided this year was right for my 1st full, and have gone with Chicago. Still expensive, but much cheaper than NYC, and no uncertainty about whether or not I'll get in.
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Just registered, and my entry has been accepted and confirmed. 3 denials 2006-2008, but I'm in this year! I understand those who say no way am I going to pay that much for that race, but having grown up in the area, watched it on TV many times, and been to the city so many times, this is one I've been waiting for. I compare it to the money I spend each year to register for a hunt out west. Only a certain number of permits get issued each year, andyou have to pay just for the privilege of applying, but if I ever win I will definitely go. Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy for that, but to me it's worth it. Holy &*^*! I'm running the New York Marathon this year!!
                      I have no intention on running NYC. It’s not the $171 entry fee because it would cost well over $1000 to travel up there any way so what’s an extra $50 on the entry fee. I’m just not into playing games when it comes to planning my race schedule and I won’t run because of the lottery. If there is such a high demand that it fills up in 2 days then so be it. I like to plan out my schedule for the year (especially the big out of state races). And this race is right in the middle of a busy time of the year for me (I like to run Oct, Nov and Dec marathons). I don’t want to wait until June for them to tell me I didn’t get in which would then force me to pay a higher fee for a replacement marathon because I couldn’t take advantage of their lower early entry fees or miss out on races that have sold out (like Chicago) But since the demand is there, I don’t expect an end to the lottery any time soon and so you won’t see me in NYC anytime soon.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                      Running in Tampa