HR info ??? (Read 811 times)

I am currious what folks think this data means... I thought this was an easy run but I felt like it took me a bit to warm up. I wanted to run another 3 miles but I also wanted to get home in time to play with the data before I went to bed... Most of the time on the run I looked down at my watch and it said my pulse was 130is I'm 34, male, 5'11" 150lbs. one interesting thing I noticed was that I did a pretty good job of measuring my work going uphill but on the down hills my HR climbed???

The Greatest of All Time

Your HR could have increased going downill if your leg turnover increased. That's not uncommon. My suggestion if I may, is not to become a slave to your HR. I wear one during every run but not to keep track of what zone I am in, etc. I use to to make sure I am not overdoing it. My HRM is used as a preventative device more than anything else. For example: once you have a few runs under your belt on the same course at about the same pace you will get a baseline of where your HR should be. If I go out and one day it's 10-15 beats per minute higher with everything else being the same, I know it's time to cut back and take it easy. Granted there are a lot of factors that go into your HR, but you should get a very general idea of where you should be at a given pace. It's also nice to see your average HR come down while doing the same work as you become more fit.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Bad habit of mine... I ask loaded questions... I am really curious what this says about a potential Marathon Pace... also... marathon I am running is really flat also the dip between .4 and .6 miles is a false hill... I went over a bridge???

The Greatest of All Time

FWIW, based on your HM time, you have the potential to finish a full around 3:45 or 8:35 pace. Did you wear a HRM during your half back in March?

Scout7

I am really curious what this says about a potential Marathon Pace.
            It doesn't say anything. I have never heard of a correlation between HR and potential. If you're trying to determine how to pace your marathon based on HR, there are ways to do it. However, I have found that, come race day, you may miss out on potential.
              FWIW, based on your HM time, you have the potential to finish a full around 3:45 or 8:35 pace. Did you wear a HRM during your half back in March?
              No got the HRM yesterday.
                Ok what I am thinking is that my fitness level has gone up dramatically over the last month or so... at least since my last half which... was a ball buster (up an down and up and down). I ran a PR but if it was flat it would have been even faster. I was worried I was running a bit too fast lately as my easy run times have been creaping closer to 9:00 miles. I have been feeling comfortable but still wasn't sure. As for HR data being an indicator of potential I agree perhaps no a direct correlation BUT that being said I am sure you could look at HR data and have it say NO WAY... like if my pulse was at 170 yesterday you would say... um DUDE... NO WAY you can do that for 26.2
                  The problem with looking at HR data for such a short run is that (a) all you can really glean from the limited data is a baseline HR, and (b) there are so many factors that can affect your baseline in addition to core fitness. Outside temperature, clothing choices, precipitation, caffeine consumption, sleep patterns, hydration, music, etc. etc. can all skew your data on such a short workout. Heck, I once had my HR shoot up 15 bpm while running because I thought I saw an ex-girlfriend from a recent bad breakup. IMHO, more telling of your potential and fitness level would be your HR data from a long run (14-22 miles). I think its easier to see meaningful trends when you have a larger sampling of data.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

ok... well tonight is my last double digit run before my marathon... I'll do about 12.5 on a hilly course...
                    Scout7

As for HR data being an indicator of potential I agree perhaps no a direct correlation BUT that being said I am sure you could look at HR data and have it say NO WAY... like if my pulse was at 170 yesterday you would say... um DUDE... NO WAY you can do that for 26.2
                      Yes, you can do this, to some extent. That's what all those ridiculously inaccurate formulas aim to do. The best way to determine your paces by heart rate is to conduct a field test. Some people like the Max HR test, I prefer the Lactate Threshold test. Here's how it works: Warm up like normal. Start running at a pace you could maintain for about 1 hour. After 10 minutes, hit the lap button (or just start recording your HR). Run at a steady pace for 20 minutes. You should finish knowing you gave your all. When done, the average HR you had for the 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold HR. Then you go HERE, and use the spreadsheet to determine your zones. Marathon effort is around Zone 3, so about 15 beats below LT.

Dave

I've used the HRM on a marathon and half and for me, it is most useful during races only as an indicator of when you're pushing too hard. On a marathon, I've seen strategies that say, stay below 80% max heart rate (measured not the 220-age formula) for the first half, then let it climb from there. Specifically, I get to a point where my heart rate will continue to climb even at the same pace on flat ground. When this starts to happen, its the beginning of the end. Running at a pace below that point and figuring out where the "knee in curve" is takes practice and patience and that point gets faster as my fitness improves. On a recent half, my HR climbed up to about 160 and stayed there through about mile 10. When I pushed to a faster pace to finish strong, I over did it and had to back off before the end of mile 12 (past that knee in the curve). At that point, my HR had climbed towards the mid-upper 170's. I know from experience, I can't maintain that for very long (5K at most). On a marathon, I'll try not exceed about 155 for the first half and will absolutely slow down if I notice a progressively higher HR before around mile 15 or 16.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice Thanks for that post. I figure I don't have time for such a test being my marathon is now... 11 days away. I get what you are saying... Lactate threshold isn't directly related to a given percentage of max HR... Neat stuff... lets say I want to really learn about this stuff and do some HR related training in the summer/fall could someone suggest some good reading... website or books...

The Greatest of All Time

Just be careful about getting too stuck on HR zones and pace predictions. Sometimes the formulas don't compute across the board. For instance this year, my 5k pace HR averages about 180 at close to 6 minute pace. My Half Marathon HR also averaged about 180 at 6:21 pace. In planning or thinking about pace prior to the half I ran last month, if I would have used 5k HR as a guide, I would have gone out much slower thinking I couldn't maintain 5k HR effort for a half marathon. But I did and the only explanation I have is that I have a very high lactate threshold. If I would have forced myself to keep my HR at say 170 for the half I would have been much slower and thus underachieved based on what I actually ended up doing. Make sense?

Scout7

Just be careful about getting too stuck on HR zones and pace predictions. Sometimes the formulas don't compute across the board. For instance this year, my 5k pace HR averages about 180 at close to 6 minute pace. My Half Marathon HR also averaged about 180 at 6:21 pace. In planning or thinking about pace prior to the half I ran last month, if I would have used 5k HR as a guide, I would have gone out much slower thinking I couldn't maintain 5k HR effort for a half marathon. But I did and the only explanation I have is that I have a very high lactate threshold. If I would have forced myself to keep my HR at say 170 for the half I would have been much slower and thus underachieved based on what I actually ended up doing. Make sense?
                              I agree with this completely. Racing HR and training HR are too variable, if that makes any sense.
                                One thing I noticed is that the downhills are pretty short, probably only a few minutes long, so it could just be HR lagging behind the climb a bit. My HR tends to keep going up for a bit, after topping out on a climb. Another example is during intervals you may notice that it takes a while for the HR to reach target, after starting the interval... then it hangs around high afterwards. I agree it's probably mostly increased leg turnover/moving faster on the downhill, but it could partially be that your HR is still going up after the hard uphill effort.