5k (Read 1437 times)

Hannibal Granite

Yeah a 2:04 for 800 meters is akin to a 15:53 five k. Doesn't seem possible for a 15 year old running 20 miles a week. I sense Nate is pulling our leg(s). If not he is some super freak of genetics.
    I had a friend in HS who started out every track season w/ less training than this kid (he didn't run XC) and would go from about a 2:04-2:05 at the beginning of the season and finish the season at about 1:56. There were kids at every school in our conference that did the same or similar, although most of then ran XC in the fall. Even those at other schools who ran XC, none of them were were sub 16-minute 5k runners and less than half were sub 17. For a person blessed with a little speed the shorter distance races will come much easier. It is sort of like the person who trains ~30-40 miles a week runs a few 5ks then runs a marathon on basically the same training and wonders why the 5k time is so much better than the marathon. The longer the race distance the more training miles you have to do to get the same performance and the less you can rely on talent. Like I said the kid has talent, but the kind of talent that happens at a whole lot of high schools every year. Without putting in some serious work he'll never be great or even really good and if he is like my HS friend he'll never get any better than he is right now.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Lane

Yesterday was my first 5k. I started out the first 800 is 1:45, but then fell and broke my leg. I hopped on the other leg at 3:45/mile pace for a total time of about 10:32. The entire race was uphill. Is that good? I was hoping that runningahead would not have this type of post, but it seems the epidemic has spread from other forums. If you can run a 17:32, and you did so in a race, then I suspect that you have a pretty good idea how good it is. If you legitamately wanted to know something about your time, you would have asked. In the off-chance that you did simply want to know how good your time was, and weren't looking for a bunch of people to stroke your ego, then I apologize, but I doubt that this is the case.

The Greatest of All Time

R.I.P
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Yesterday was my first 5k. I started out the first 800 is 1:45, but then fell and broke my leg. I hopped on the other leg at 3:45/mile pace for a total time of about 10:32. The entire race was uphill. Is that good? I was hoping that runningahead would not have this type of post, but it seems the epidemic has spread from other forums. If you can run a 17:32, and you did so in a race, then I suspect that you have a pretty good idea how good it is. If you legitamately wanted to know something about your time, you would have asked. In the off-chance that you did simply want to know how good your time was, and weren't looking for a bunch of people to stroke your ego, then I apologize, but I doubt that this is the case.
          Nice. Big grin
          DeadMopoz

Just to provide some fuel for the discussion Smile Here is a table with some statistics - it shows what average (again - average) results are reached at certain age by boys specializing in running in Russia: 10K: Time 28.20| 29.25| 30.35| 32.30| 34.30 Age: 24,5_| 21,7_| 20,2_| 18,8_|17,5 5K: Time 13.30| 14.00| 14.35| 15.20| 16.25|17.50 Age: 23,1_| 20,8_| 18,9_| 17,4_| 16,3_|15,5 1 mile: Time 3.56| 4.03| 4.13| 4.26| 4.45|5.10 Age: 23.0| 19,9| 17,9| 16,7| 15,5|14,2

The Greatest of All Time

Just to provide some fuel for the discussion Smile Here is a table with some statistics - it shows what average (again - average) results are reached at certain age by boys specializing in running in Russia: 10K: Time 28.20| 29.25| 30.35| 32.30| 34.30 Age: 24,5_| 21,7_| 20,2_| 18,8_|17,5 5K: Time 13.30| 14.00| 14.35| 15.20| 16.25|17.50 Age: 23,1_| 20,8_| 18,9_| 17,4_| 16,3_|15,5 1 mile: Time 3.56| 4.03| 4.13| 4.26| 4.45|5.10 Age: 23.0| 19,9| 17,9| 16,7| 15,5|14,2
              Even nicer!
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                I'm having a hard time understanding the table. You can't be suggesting that an average 23 year-old Russian runner completes the mile in 3:56 or that an average 20 year old runner completes the 5K in 14 minutes. Something doesn't compute.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

DeadMopoz

this is an average age when runners reach those results
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It is sort of like the person who trains ~30-40 miles a week runs a few 5ks then runs a marathon on basically the same training and wonders why the 5k time is so much better than the marathon. The longer the race distance the more training miles you have to do to get the same performance and the less you can rely on talent.
                    I just wanted to note that this is a fantastic statement, and cuts right to the chase as to why plugging your 5k into McMillan's to predict your marathon is such an inaccurate endeavor, unless you've done the right training.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nate Grant

well you guys seem to like ripping on me. The reason i know so much about shoes is because my mom is very keene on educating me about the proper running equipment. The reason i know about what a fast 800 is is because i dont live under a rock and enjoy watching other people run. Im not attempting to get an ego stroke Undecided, i just wanted to know what a running community thought about it since i know older people exaggerate about what is good and what isnt. I live in a very small town and actually AM a little sheltered i will admit, we didnt even have cable TV until about a few years ago. I just moved to where i live now from this tiny town outside of boulder colorado and this place is even smaller. sorry for wasting your time ill make sure not to share anything with you guys so you dont "hate" me
                      Hannibal Granite

i just wanted to know what a running community thought about it since i know older people exaggerate about what is good and what isnt. I live in a very small town and actually AM a little sheltered i will admit, we didnt even have cable TV until about a few years ago. I just moved to where i live now from this tiny town outside of boulder colorado and this place is even smaller.
                        If you had just said this to begin with no one would've be " hatin' " on you. It is easy to respect someone wanting an honest opinion from knowledgable people, but because we didn't have any context it came off as you bragging (even if unintentionally) I hope you can understand why. This can really be a great and supportive place, I know I have found it to be so. If you hang around long enough you may even learn something Smile

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well Nate, in a nutshell, your times are excellent for someone your age. Not freakishly fast, but excellent. To put it in perspective, the 5k I was in last weekend was won in 16:22 by a 15 year old. Your 2:04 indicates that you have good speed, and if you keep building up your miles, you'll see a lot of improvement. Thanks for giving us a little background. Folks around here, myself included, were suspicious of your motives given the brevity/obviousness of your post along with a knowledge of racing flats that seemed to contradict your inexperience. It looked like a lot of oddball posts we've been getting here lately. A little more information goes a long way. And I'll go further and apologize to you. I brought your post to the attention of the community at large, thinking it was a troll and/or goofball post, so although you don't see my handiwork much in this thread, I feel responsible for it. Blush So I'm sorry that you feel you've been treated harshly. Make your log public and stay a while. We're not all that bad once you get to know us. And of course, if you are pulling our legs, then tell you mom she left her dentures on my nightstand. Again. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Giant Flaming Dork

And of course, if you are pulling our legs, then tell you mom she left her dentures on my nightstand. Again. Wink
                            Ahh, yes, there's nothing that says "RA acceptance" like Goblue insulting your mother. Wink

http://xkcd.com/621/

It sounds like Nate has natural speed. He has probably worked on that speed during his younger years. Now he ran a 5k on a whim and probably finished 1st in his age group and rather high up in the race and began to wonder how good his 5k time was. Well the 800 meter time of 2:04 is much better than the 17:30 because Nate doesn't have much base mileage as others noted. He has the potential to run a 16:30 five-k with a few months of training. With a couple years of training he would have a shot to win the high school state championship based on his makeup. But without much training he would have a shot at winning the high school 800 meter championship. It seems like Nate is a natural sprinter. If he wants to work on it and move to longer distances thats fine but if his specialty is the shorter races then maybe he should focus on that for now. I tend to love the 5k races moireso than the 800 meter stuff but thats just me.
                              Lane

It sounds like Nate has natural speed. He has probably worked on that speed during his younger years. Now he ran a 5k on a whim and probably finished 1st in his age group and rather high up in the race and began to wonder how good his 5k time was. Well the 800 meter time of 2:04 is much better than the 17:30 because Nate doesn't have much base mileage as others noted. He has the potential to run a 16:30 five-k with a few months of training. With a couple years of training he would have a shot to win the high school state championship based on his makeup. But without much training he would have a shot at winning the high school 800 meter championship. It seems like Nate is a natural sprinter. If he wants to work on it and move to longer distances thats fine but if his specialty is the shorter races then maybe he should focus on that for now. I tend to love the 5k races moireso than the 800 meter stuff but thats just me.
                                What state are you in? He's going to have to drop a lot of time to win the state championship in the 800m in any state. That means lots of work. In the slowest states, you need to be able to run a 1:56 or faster to win. 8 seconds is huge in the 800, since there is only two laps.