Osteitis Pubis (trying to self-diagnose) (Read 124 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

For those of you who have had osteitis pubis, was the pain in the middle (symmetric)? Or on one side of the groin?

I'm feeling pain in the site of my inferior pubic ramus stress fracture from last year, on the inside of one leg/groin junction, but it's not fitting the pattern of a fracture - it doesn't hurt more during a run, but afterward and at night) and I'm trying to determine my best course of action.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Direct center.

Oddly, mine did not hurt for a typical 6mile easy run until mile 5.  Also, the harder I ran the less it hurt: interval workouts were not a problem.  Long runs at easy pace were filled with discomfort and pain.  Then again, I ran (jogged) Boston on an undiagnosed fracture of the Perineum combined with osteitis pubis.

Unfortunately, 3 years later, it still bothers me now and then.

Hope this helps.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

It does help, thanks.  I'm pretty sure this isn't what I have, which - that's good!  Tomorrow I'm seeing the PT who helped me through a herniated disc some years ago and I'm hoping to get some good flexibility/hip mobility exercises.

kilkee

runktrun

I kinda have this; I have two huge spurs that stick straight up from the pubic symphysis and you can see some arthritic changes on x-ray, but I typically feel both tension/pressure to the right of the joint that sometimes relieves with a pop (probably tendon snapping as the pelvis moves) and weird phantom pain that feels like someone jabbed the side of my lady parts with a pencil.  Either way, my pain has never been smack in the center.  BUT it does seem to get worse when other stuff is awry, like it'll act up when my SI is out, even if the SI doesn't hurt, so I'd caution you to back off a bit because while it's probably not a SFX, something is clearly still a little more amiss than usual.

I also experience less pelvic pain at faster speeds.  I theorize that it is because when I'm working harder to run faster, my muscles hold everything together.  Jogging around slowly seems to jar my joints more.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Ugh, kilkee, that sounds yucky.  But I think you're totally onto something with "it hurts more when other stuff is bad", because everything is connected, and it's not uncommon for a pain or overcompensation in one part of the body to show up elsewhere.

I went to the body guy who gave me some good exercises to do so I'll see how that goes.  One thing that helps a lot, as it turns out, is a very slow, gentle, small leg extension with the lower leg while seated or lying down.  You might try that and see if it helps you!

kilkee

runktrun

Interesting, I'll give it a try!  I definitely need to focus on very basic PT exercises and movements, or I just end up compensating and using bad form.

anneb

When I had this back in 2010, it was on one side of pubic bone. On the injured side, it hurt horribly when rotating the leg in (at that point it hurt all the time, more if I tried to run, I should have been crutched, but crutches would have just piled on so...). It took forever to heal. Other things were also out of whack because I had been favoring it so long while I continued running (before the dx).

Anne

tomatolover

Mine was more like groin pain that went up to my abdomen. My pt “cracked” it and OMG that helped. How she did it: I was on table face up, need bent.  Put her 2 fists between my knees and told me to squeeze hard, then she put locked her arm/wrist between my knees and told me to squeeze hard again (each was about 10 seconds).  I did this for a 3rd time.  Next she held my knees from then outside and told me to push, holding 10 seconds and again for another 10secx2.  I heard my pubic bone pop (like a joint) and got instant relief. Similar to this :https://youtu.be/pvviJKwW6-E

Blaf

Best way to diagnose OP is this:

Sit on a chair

Put your fist between your knees

Squeeze the fist with your knees

If you feel pain in the Pubic Symphysis area, than it is OP. At least this is my experience.

It took me 9 months 3 years ago to get rid of this.

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Yeah, I've figured out this isn't my problem, just in case anyone's still reading.  It's weakness in the glute and the sartorius working when it shouldn't.  Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

kilkee

runktrun

Thanks for following up; glad you have an answer now!