Top of Knee Pain (Read 504 times)

I ran a 5k this past Saturday with the intention of running again later in the day to get some more miles in for my marathon training. Race went well, I looped back and finished up with my wife for a cooldown. I don't remember any pain at that time, but a few hours later the top of my knee began to hurt, partially on the kneecap and partially just above that area. This caused me to hold off on an additional run for the day. Played hockey yesterday with no issue, and no pain afterwards. But upon waking today, and walking around all day at work, the pain is back. I've had pain in the lower part of my kneecap before, and it was isolated. This is different in that it also sort of hurts in the surrounding muscle. Any ideas? My taper is scheduled to start this week for my May 24 marathon, how worried should I be?
    timothy11

I have had the same problem with pain on the top of my right knee. I have taken two weeks off from running all together and started ice therapy nightly. Now two weeks later, I have started to run hills forwards and backwards in order to strengthen my knee (something that I was told could help with the issue). The pain is still not fully gone but i have only started the strength training on hills. I hope this works but by no means am I an expert in the field so take the advise as you see fit.
      T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I had a similar probalem a couple years ago. It was diagnosed a tendonitis of the quad tendon. The advice I got was rest until it stops hurting. Ice and PT might help, no NSAID, as this just masks the symptoms and it can actually slow the healing process.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

J.D.

sounds like quad tendonitis. a friend of mine had it and strengthening the quads helped tremendously. unfortunately took a long time before it got better though. you might have to run through the pain for now while also strengthening your legs.