smoking ban (Read 731 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

You bring up some really good points and I agree with you on many levels. However your liberties stop when they impinge on another's well being. No reasonable person is going to deny you the opportunities to coat your lungs with tar or line your veins fat, or roast yourself under sun lamps for hours on end. However unnessecarily exposing someone to hazardous conditions isn't liberty, it's treachery.
      I agree with that Mr I and its definitely a move in the right direction on the smoking issue. Everyone agrees and are under no illusions as to the risks that secondary smoke cause. But, what next? No person shall smoke in a public place during daylight hours No person shall smoke in a public place during daylight hourswhilst accompanied Its feels good to be protected from modern ills, but who guards the guardians?
      Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
        Well, here in Ireland we have a nationwide ban in bars/restaurants/workplaces etc.. We have had this for a couple of years now, and remarkably it was effected without too much distress to everyone. Now you have to remember that Ireland is a nation of pub goers - I don't necessarily mean drinkers (although the stereotype can suggest that), but we do have a social culture that is centred around the pub as a community focal point - Therefore there were concerns that the smoking ban would be ignored - It hasn't - It's worked - So, those preaching civil liberties - Get a Life - That's what those of us who don't smoke can now do as we don't have to be inflicted with second hand smoke - It's here, and it's staying - Long may it do so, and for those places that haven't done it yet - Get moving Smile...

Why is it sideways?

This thread sucks. This is what I don't like about "political" discourse. Instead of having a discussion about what we actually think about the smoking ban, or their own experiences with it, it turns into an argument about the fundamental nature of liberty and about whose "rights" are begin trampled and whose "liberties" are being quashed. In other words, the political discourse allows us just to recycle the same old arguments that we've heard one million times. In a million different contexts. What the hell does the Boston Tea Party have to do with any of this? Instead of actually talking with each other about particular effects of the smoking ban--JK might have an experience that Mr Inertia hasn't had, or vice versa--we put on our political masks and yell at each other: "Liberty!" "Harm!" "Government Bad!" "Public Welfare Good!" Let's get serious about this. Everyone really is about to die because of smokers. It's true. In exactly the same way that it's totally true that I can't be free if I can't smoke a cigarette in a public place. Seriously. What a bunch of drama queens. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Great plan when we're talking about paper. Less effective in the context of ideas.
            So, those preaching civil liberties - Get a Life - That's what those of us who don't smoke can now do as we don't have to be inflicted with second hand smoke - It's here, and it's staying - Long may it do so, and for those places that haven't done it yet - Get moving Smile...
            Theres no preaching going on here mate, and Dublin is indeed a better place without. You didnt audit Berties tax affairs by any chance? Evil grin
            Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
            JakeKnight

So, those preaching civil liberties - Get a Life - That's what those of us who don't smoke can now do as we don't have to be inflicted with second hand smoke - It's here, and it's staying - Long may it do so, and for those places that haven't done it yet - Get moving Smile...
              Fair enough. As long as I get to pick which habits of yours annoy or endanger me to any degree and we can all ban those, too. It's only fair, right? 1.2 million dead every year in car crashes. I say we ban them. If you like driving ... well, get a life. And don't get me started on those cyclists. They gotta go. I'll accept increased risk of death and injury, but I can't handle the spandex. And then they came for ...
              This thread sucks. This is what I don't like about "political" discourse.
              Said the guy who jumped into a thread about skateboarding punks because he sensed their might be some class-based or culturally-oriented undercurrent in the way said skateboarding punks were described ... C'mon. That's funny.
              What the hell does the Boston Tea Party have to do with any of this?
              It was either that or a Liberty Bell reference. And I'm pretty sure that's Philadelphia. The Boston Tea Party and clam chowder are pretty much the extent of my Boston knowledge. The Red Sox didn't fit. And I did stick the obligatory Patriots insult in there. After that I'm all tapped out. Damn the man. Fight the power. ----------------- And now for banana jokes! Tongue
              Q: Why was Anna not allowed to visit the King in his jungle kingdom? A: He had his guards ban-anna from the castle. Q: Why did the banana go to the doctor's office? A: She wasn't peeling well.
              Modified to add:
              Why are bananas never lonely? Because they hang around in bunches. What did the banana say to the elephant? Nothing. Bananas can't talk. Why did the banana go out with the prune? Because he couldn't find a date.
              I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses. Try the veal organic tofu.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

Said the guy who jumped into a thread about skateboarding punks because he sensed their might be some class-based or culturally-oriented undercurrent in the way said skateboarding punks were described ... C'mon. That's funny.
                Busted.
                mikeymike

Patriots fan Masshole. Are you sure you're not from New Jersey?
                  I'm still reasonably sure. Though its getting harder to keep track lately.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I'm still reasonably sure. Though its getting harder to keep track lately.
                    I hear Newark is lovely.
                    How can you tell the difference between a monster and a banana? Try picking it up. If you can't, it's either a monster or a giant banana.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

HOSS1961

Amen Jake!
                      Rant on brother Big grin It's another case of the "man" keeping us down...
                      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                        I can't really argue the point, of course, because then Dragon76 will make fun of me for arguing on the Internet and wonder why I didn't post a certain sign to myself. And I'd have to agree, and that would look silly.
                        As a responsible member of the RA community, I would never dream of doing that...here. I made fun of you behind your back while you were out running so you couldn't defend yourself.

Amy

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Fair enough. As long as I get to pick which habits of yours annoy or endanger me to any degree and we can all ban those, too. It's only fair, right? 1.2 million dead every year in car crashes. I say we ban them. If you like driving ... well, get a life. quote> So if someone injures you in a car crash or kills a family member, there's legal and civil recourses for that. Are you saying the same thing should be true if someone else's smoking causes you harm?