Pittsburgh Marathon 2009-Registration Closed? (Read 1348 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

All I can say on this subject is that The Flying Pig marathon is a class act and you should not have any of these issues. I would make my reservations now for the Flying Pig and forget the Pittsburgh marathon. It is always more fun to travel to a marathon anyway and take in a different city.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Well if you want a better shot at a BQ ... The Cleveland Marathon (2.5 hr drive from pitt) is two weeks later 5/17 and is a pretty flat course and probably a much easier BQ. Only real hills are when part of race is on a raised on/off freeway so going up the entrance ramps. Might want to consider as a backup as would hate to train for 18 - 20 weeks and not get to race and/or have to wait a few weeks before race to see if you are in or not.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Ok so now the Race Organziers are saying that 1,500 people will receive an e-mail that they can register for the race. They say the e-mails are going out starting today,,, but they dont say by when you should receive the e-mail and they dont want any calls. They are also not sending any rejection e-mails. So at what point should people begin to think they are not one of the lucky 1,500,, and should make plans for a different race. All in all, people are still left hanging. I dont think they handled the wait list thing very well. So on behalf of a friend of mine,,, can anyone post, if they know any more about this,, or if they have in fact been let in the race from their wait list e-mail thanks
        I have never taken my name off of the waiting list, though I am already registered.. I will let you know if I receive a communication from the marathon committee. If your friend is not on the waiting list, I will sign the registration over to her as well if she needs it. Just let me know how your situation develops.
          All I can say on this subject is that The Flying Pig marathon is a class act and you should not have any of these issues. I would make my reservations now for the Flying Pig and forget the Pittsburgh marathon. It is always more fun to travel to a marathon anyway and take in a different city.
          I did the Flying Pig last year. It really is a great marathon. I was going to sign up for it if the Pittsburgh Marathon registration didn't work out,and would have thoroughly enjoyed running it again. However, my children and many of my extended family will be able to see me finish this year, which will be pretty cool. Nothing will beat running this race in my hometown I would definetely run Cincinnati again and I recommend to anyone.
            I have never taken my name off of the waiting list, though I am already registered.. I will let you know if I receive a communication from the marathon committee. If your friend is not on the waiting list, I will sign the registration over to her as well if she needs it. Just let me know how your situation develops.
            Thank you,, he was quick to get on the waiting list and is now wondering how long he should wait before he registers for New Jersey or I think he is also considering Mad City. But I will check this thread and if you get a response, I will pass this on to him. Thanks Again
              One more thing on the marathon registration confusion.....A person I know very well who has worked with the marathon committee to some degree explained to me how this problem came about. About a year ago, the Pittsburgh Marathon committee did a study with the people who organize the Boston Marathon to determine how many people would register under a best case scenario, as well as to plan for how many volunteers and medical personnel they would need. Based on their study, they concluded that they would get a maximum 3500 people, being that the marathon has been extinct for the past 5 years. The all-time record was 6500 back in 2003. Just to be safe, they gathered enough volunteers to handle 9,000, which they figured they would never even get close to reaching. As it turns out, 9,000 people registered, which was the maximum they could allow, though the committee never thought in their wildest dreams they would even get close, and there are over 2,000 people on the waiting list. There are people registered from all 50 states and 8 countries, from what I was told. So while I'm not making excuses for the poor management of the registration or the fact that they never announced from the outset what the registration cap would be, it is a great thing for the City of Pittsburgh that the marathon had such a huge response in it's first year back.

Imminent Catastrophe

As it turns out, 9,000 people registered, which was the maximum they could allow, though the committee never thought in their wildest dreams they would even get close, and there are over 2,000 people on the waiting list. There are people registered from all 50 states and 8 countries, from what I was told. So while I'm not making excuses for the poor management of the registration or the fact that they never announced from the outset what the registration cap would be, it is a great thing for the City of Pittsburgh that the marathon had such a huge response in it's first year back.
                Danger Will Robinson! They were unprepared for this many and that could mean trouble during the race. I'd be ready for anything, and be as self-sufficient as possible during the race. I hope it goes well but that's a big red "trouble" flag. Some of us know how badly things can go when the organizers are ill-prepared!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I saw yesterday that they are opening up for 1,500 more... Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.