How not to run your first marathon... (Read 729 times)

Congrats on your marathon! I was hoping you would check in soon. I think 4:12 is a great time, I'd love to be able to run that 1:59 time. I'm planning to do my first HM on this course in 2008 (or the MDI half - even more hilly) so I'll check out the course. how was the crowd and the support?

Recalculating...

PWL

Has been

how was the crowd and the support?
      It was kind of lonely all things considered. Since roughly 2/3 of the entrants were running the half, the field of runners and spectators thinned out considerably after the half-marathon turnaround point between miles 6-7. There were several spots along the route that had spectators, but a lot of it was 3-4 people sitting in their driveway clapping at you (I appreciated their support, but it didn't give me quite the boost I was looking for). Also, there was NOBODY that I saw (except medics and volunteers) between miles 24-26, when I needed them the most. Most of the motivation runners got at that point was from each other and from the police who were stopping traffic. I heard, however, that there were more spectators for the finish of the half than for the full (which makes sense). There were some cool drummer guys at mile 12 (maybe?) that gave me a boost. The last 0.2 miles was pretty loud and exciting as well, so that was nice. Comments I have heard from some of the other folks is that it is a better half than a full, which is what you are looking for anyway. It was fun--hope you can do it next year!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Imminent Catastrophe

You trained for sub-10:00 miles, and ran a bunch at 8:00 pace? Yeah, that will do it. That's where experience will pay off. You'll learn to let that friendly pacer go on ahead at a pace you couldn't possibly maintain. Still, you ran a sub-10 pace after all. Congrats!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016