Vermont City marathon - tips on where to stay with the family? (Read 664 times)

I'd love any help from anyone who has run the Vermont City marathon on where to stay. I'm bringing the whole family (wife and three daughters, 8, 6 and 3). Need a place that is family-friendly, not too $$ and also not too far from the course. A kitchenette would be really helpful - almost a neccessity. Thanks for any insights!

Lane

I'd love any help from anyone who has run the Vermont City marathon on where to stay. I'm bringing the whole family (wife and three daughters, 8, 6 and 3). Need a place that is family-friendly, not too $$ and also not too far from the course. A kitchenette would be really helpful - almost a neccessity. Thanks for any insights!
      I don't know about prices, but I do know that there are several hotels right on Battery Street (this is where the marathon starts). There is this one: http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BTTVTHF-Hilton-Burlington-Vermont/index.do
        The VCM site has some lodging info at http://www.runvermont.org/marathon/lodging.html The Smart Suites is listed at about 4 miles from the start, seems to be less expensive than the others (but that can often depend on room type) and does have kitchenette facilities. http://www.innvermont.com/smartsuites/index.shtml

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The VCM site has some lodging info at http://www.runvermont.org/marathon/lodging.html
          The marathon has a frequent shuttle service to and from the hotels they list, so you don't need to add location to the list of requirements.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

peggya111

I looked at the list and all the hotels listed are fine, just a word of advice - make your reservations as soon as you can. DH and I are from VT and go back occasionally. We went back to visit on marathon weekend and the rates were OUT of control. The hotels really push their room rates sky high, so make them as soon as you can. Good luck and have fun.
            Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)

an amazing likeness

For rooms with kitchen, there is an extended stay Marriott in Williston called TownePlace Suites. However it does not have shuttle to the race. In Colchester, there is the Hampton Inn, which does have a race day shuttle bus and hosts a lot of runners and family. Most of the hotels in Burlington are in the surrounding towns, so include Colchester, Williston, South Burlington and Essex Jct in your searches. Despite all the warnings otherwise, downtown parking on race day is not bad as on Sunday morning the garages are pretty open, so the shuttle bus may not be as big an issue as it seems.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

All good responses, thanks. Shuttle service may not be such a big deal. i think my wife might want the minivan nearby anyway as a secondary storage unit while in the city for 4+ hours with three cranky, bored kids. MTA: Booked the Comfort Suites for $140/night. 4 miles from start and shuttle service so this will work well. Thanks for the tips everyone.

an amazing likeness

I've done both -- hotel with shuttle and left the car with my wife who then drove herself down to park and spectate, and no shuttle and have her drop me off then come back later to spectate. Both work. She liked the shuttle option so that she didn't have to get up and drop me off.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.