I just don't feel healthy anymore (Read 1206 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I second all of the comments on Yoga and looking into a more eastern approach to your problems. Our current western approach to EVERYTHING is to stamp it out or mask it. We have all spent most of our lives trying to mask our pain instead of looking at it holistically and trying to figure out the source of the pain. We also live an extremely high stress lifestyle. I honestly believe a lot of intestinal issues are due to stress. Yoga is a wonderful mix of strength, balance and flexibility. It’s a good way to unplug and work on your body. I know a lot of people with serious traumatic injuries that were helped by yoga. I would also recommend acupuncture ... that stuff can really work. Remember though it may take a while to see the results. Don't get me wrong I think that western medicine has its place in our society. I have allergies and asthma. I tried for several years to treat them with eastern medicine. It never really worked. I am now back on the western drugs and my quality of life is better. It's all about balance.
    If you're bored ask why you're boring

The Greatest of All Time

I will share this only to illustrate that I know how you feel right now: I was stricken with a horrible, painful illness during law school (of all time) that ended up turning me into a physically addicted narcotics addict. I know what it feels like to think you're never going to get better because all of the treatments are failing. I have been there. I was in my early 30's and was probably closer to death than I realized at the time. But for whatever reason I never gave up. I did have to take one semester off just to get my health back in order and it did happen but it took time. Getting over the narcotic addiction is a whole other story, but all in all it took me at least one full year before I felt normal again once the illness subsided. I was, however, forever changed. During this 18 month ordeal I put on a lot of weight and went from being an Ironman triathlete in 1999 to being a sick lump that wasn't capable of doing much in 2003-2004. My weight skyrocketed to about 210 pounds and I was so stoned on painkillers that those 18 months are a blur. I do not remember even being in law school for the two semesters I was high every day. I have no idea how the hell I took notes, participated in class, and passed final exams. I will admit there were times during this ordeal that suicide was contemplated because it appeared to me that I was on the long slide downward and I never thought I would be healthy again. But, I did recover. I am not a religious person, but somehow I got through that. One year after my illness subsided (although I was still left to deal with the drug addiction) I started working out again. 6 months and an eating disorder later, I was down to 160 lbs and had regained my self-confidence, but more importantly my health (relatively speaking). A few months after that I met my now wife and knew from the beginning I had found the person I was destined to be with. In a weird way I think I had to go through that misery to learn to appreciate things in life ordinarily taken for granted such as health and family. My wife wouldn't have loved the person I was before that trip, so if enduring that ordeal was the price I had to pay to be the right person for her, well it was worth it. I truly believe everything happens for a reason and we all have our struggles to deal with in life. You're not alone. You will get through this if you refuse to give up as I did. You undoubtedly have tremendous inner strength you're not aware of, so tap into it and pull out of this. You know you can.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Lisa3.1

Take care finney.

running yogi

I am so glad to see all the yoga posts. I have had back issues ever since I was a teenager. Yoga keeps me sane, physically and mentally. Try to find a good yoga school/teacher in your area. I have so many yoga sucess stories that I have stopped counting. The best thing about yoga is that it works on the body and the mind.