Running in the RAin: talk me through it! (Read 885 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

The point is; we are still quite "selected" people who can afford to rejoyce our good health and well-being; that we don't have to worry about dropping down to our knees after a block of "trotting". It is an exhillarating feeling to get out and work out some sweat and actually feel good about it! I sort of feel the same way when running in the rain. I almost think it's our RIGHT to be able to get our, rain or shine or snow, and enjoy this experience. ... Find a short loop, preferably residential area, and plan to go around and around several laps. I have this 3/4 mile loop around the neighborhood, luckily I never had to use it other than some repeats. On the cold Sunday morning, we use this 30-minute loop. If the weather turns absolutely unbearable, we can always call it a day!
    I selected the perfection to quote of your post; how I look forward to having your experience, sharing such knowledge... Thank you!
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Beatin' on the Rock

Thank you, everyone, for so many useful tidbits. I DID wear the wicking tank (purchased second-hand, yet; Homeschooling enables such endeavors :yesSmile ) And, I had the baseball cap... although, ... I feel they really keep the heat IN, and women of my age are already so danged HOT Wink !! The recommendation of running a close-to-home loop also will be taken to heart; my neighborhood IS a 1.1 mile loop. Touche, right? I love this website... Shy
      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      ohanapecosh

I'm in Seattle, so I have to deal with this issue from time to time. Smile If you're going for a run that's 5 miles or less, I don't think it's necessary to dress any differently than normal. I don't, anyway. I figure I'm going to get wet regardless and it's unlikely anything light is going to be effective, and heavy raingear is just annoying. The same goes for a long run if it's light rain. (As for a long run in heavy rain, I have no advice!) If you're not going to wear anything different, it's not necessary to know in advance that it's raining. Therefore, just don't look out the window. Get dressed and head out the door, and find out when you're outside that it's raining. If you know it's raining before you get ready, try to pretend it's not or forget. This may sound a little silly, but I find it so discouraging to head out if I know it's raining. Since it often rains here, I try not to look out the window before getting ready. Once I'm out the door, I'm not going to turn back. What I have found is that the worst part of rain is the intimidation factor. Once you're out there, it's a little annoying, but it's not a big deal. In fact, light rain doesn't bother me in the slightest, even when it's cold.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm in Seattle, so I have to deal with this issue from time to time. Smile If you're going for a run that's 5 miles or less, I don't think it's necessary to dress any differently than normal. I don't, anyway. I figure I'm going to get wet regardless and it's unlikely anything light is going to be effective, and heavy raingear is just annoying. The same goes for a long run if it's light rain. (As for a long run in heavy rain, I have no advice!) If you're not going to wear anything different, it's not necessary to know in advance that it's raining. Therefore, just don't look out the window. Get dressed and head out the door, and find out when you're outside that it's raining. If you know it's raining before you get ready, try to pretend it's not or forget. This may sound a little silly, but I find it so discouraging to head out if I know it's raining. Since it often rains here, I try not to look out the window before getting ready. Once I'm out the door, I'm not going to turn back. What I have found is that the worst part of rain is the intimidation factor. Once you're out there, it's a little annoying, but it's not a big deal. In fact, light rain doesn't bother me in the slightest, even when it's cold.
          I will take your advice! You're right, why look? Just get up, get dressed, and get out. Thanks for the tip of the day! Teresa

Man in Tights

I enjoy running in the rain. Frankly I have no choice. Here in Mumbai it rains almost continuously from mid June to September. And we do have the annual deluge when almost the whole city is under 2-3 feet of rainwater. It is chaotic. My usual course is by a 3 mile long bay and it's pretty awesome to watch the boiling water and the huge waves. To avoid getting too sloshy I run in tights and lycra singlets. There's noting one can do about the shoes. The pace does suffer a bit but it's great fun.
              ... I'm just an old ... What do you wear? ... What do you say to yourself to get out the door in a downpour?
              1) You aren't old, not by any stretch of the imagination. 2) Wear what you need. Wear a hat for rain = make it one with a rear flap/sunshade/neck protector. Warm, light rain, low wind = shorts and t-shirt. Cooler, steady rain, wind not high = shorts and t-shirt + ClimaProof mesh-lined shell. Cold, heavy rain, stronger wind = layered, tights, polypro long-sleeve shirt, ClimaProof shell and pants. You get the idea... just whatever you need. 3) "It's only rain, this will be fun..."... "Oh, cool, a downpour".. "Oh, well, it is the Pacific Northwest."...
                I'll trade you for -29F windchill and snow... Shocked Roll eyes Clowning around That's what it was here yesterday. I ran 17 miles on an indoor track. Seriously if the temp. is over 50F, running in the rain doen't bother me at all. I just make sure I use plenty of Body Glide on my feet and inner thighs. Have fun!! Big grin