Can I wear the shirt if I didn't run the race? (Read 1151 times)

C-R

I eccho others - it's just a shirt. You bought it so wear it. I wear lots of jerseys from Notre Dame and Bayern Munich but don't play for them. No one should care and if they do, they might need a reality check.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Wear it! I recently bagged a half marathon (didn't even start) due to cold, pouring rain. I've been at this too many years and have nothing to prove, and I simply didn't need to be out in a cold rain for 2 hours! I love the long-sleeved tech shirt and wear it proudly (well, maybe not so proudly, but I DO wear it). The funny thing was that after I bagged the race and left the staging area, I drove to the gym and ran indoors on the treadmill. At the gym, running around the indoor track, was a runner WEARING the race t-shirt, who had also blown-off the race. I thought to myself, "I, at least, am not wearing the shirt of the race I just bagged WHILE the race is actually occurring!"

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

First of all, your priorities are wrong, you must SKIP THE WEDDING! If you feel you cannot do that, then attend the wedding WEARING the shirt. (Maybe I'm not the best person to ask for advice!) Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Absoultely wear the shirt. And if someone asks you if you ran the race say "I won my age group" Actually you could have a friend run the race for you in your place. They can wear your bib and chip. Give someone the gift of a free race.
            Absoultely wear the shirt. And if someone asks you if you ran the race say "I won my age group" Actually you could have a friend run the race for you in your place. They can wear your bib and chip. Give someone the gift of a free race.
            Hey if I had a fast friend, maybe he could B Q for me Clowning around

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Non ducor, duco.

You can wear the shirt because you are a runner. IF however, you cease to be a runner, then you can not wear the shirt. Big grin
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

NO REFUNDS! WEAR THE SHIRT. Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

~Gordo~

I think the rule should be that since you bought the shirt you get to keep whether you compete in the race or not. However, if you don't compete, than you should have to wear the shirt inside-out. Tongue
                  !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                  mbk

I've faced the same dilemma, and for me the decision was based on the sense of personal accomplishment I associated with the race. For example, I've run many 5ks, so if I DNS at a 5k I'll still wear the shirt. On the other hand, I registered for but never started the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile. I received a really awesome fleece pullover jacket. I've never taken it off the hanger. I wouldn't feel right wearing it since I've never completed that race (or any 100 miler except a 24 hour race). Along the same lines, I registered for but didn't start the Ultracentric 24 hour. I didn't wear the nice technical shirt I received. The following year I completed Ultracentric and now I wear both shirts (they are actually the same design). I don't think it's a huge ethical or moral issue, and I wouldn't judge someone for wearing a shirt for a race that he/she didn't complete. It's a personal question - do I feel that I've earned the right to wear that shirt. On a similar topic, I NEVER wear a race shirt before or during the race. Only after. I'm not superstitious in any other part of my life, but I just can't wear a shirt until after the event.
                      On a similar topic, I NEVER wear a race shirt before or during the race. Only after. I'm not superstitious in any other part of my life, but I just can't wear a shirt until after the event.
                      Goes without saying in my book.
                        I would NEVER wear a tech t to mow the grass or wash the car. Waste of a good shirt.
                        What? You don't like to be as comfortable as you can be when washing the car or mowing grass on a hot summer day? Wink Or do you prefer to do those things shirtless? Big grin Beats burying it in storage, which was my point.
                          Of course you can wear it. I've often bought shirts at races that were leftover from years I didn't run. It would never have occurred to me that I shouldn't wear them Confused
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          Rundadrun27

I'm a huge Blue Jays fan and often wear a Jays cap in the summer. I don't, however, play for the Jays. One of my favourite t-shirts is actually from a 10k I ran while anemic and dropped out of. I wear it all the time. In an odd coincidence, I actually wound up interviewing the winner of that race on an unrelated topic for a school newspaper while wearing the shirt. It's just a t-shirt.
                            This is the best answer in this whole thread.

Sine Metu

A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh

I used to think the finishers T-shirt shall be worn by the finishers (regardless of the race; at least in the olden days, you picked up T-shirt at the finish). Of course, things changed and now they hand out T-shirt BEFORE you actually run it. Why? Because the sponsors want their names seen BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the race. So....if this makes it easy at all for you to wear the T-shirt for the race that you didn't (or won't) run, you are actually doing the sponsors, and race itself for promoting it, some good and its money's worth. Wear it.