Pushing too hard and losing your breakfast (Read 560 times)

Has anyone ever pushed too hard in a marathon and felt like throwing up? If so, did you bite the bullet and just do it? Did it make you feel better or was it just as bad as before throwing up? I was close to being on pace to qualify for Boston in Oct last year until about mile 19 or 20 then really felt like throwing up. I hate that feeling so I slowed way down until it subsided. This has happened a few times to me in marathons and I just wonder if maybe I wasn't trained as well as I should have been for me personally. Anyway, I really want to have a good finishing time in my race in 2 weeks and just wondered if anyone has ever pushed past that feeling of having to throw up, gotten rid of the excess and kept on going. I'm not sure if I could do it, but am wondering if it beats the alternative of walking most of the last 6 miles and still feeling bad.

Just keep running...

I have, and I had no choice but to let it go!! I was pushing up the first 2000ft climb of the 5500ft total Breck Crest Mountain Marathon in Breckenridge this year. I started to feel it so i slowed down a bit near the top but a neatly disguised "energy drink" with lots of carbonation at an aid station quickly took me over the edge. I honestly think it wrecked my marathon, not only was I dehydrated now, but I felt I could not hold any water or food down for nearly 2 hours. By the time I started feeling better I had mentally bonked and had pretty much given up. I did finally finish in 6:10 but It was not fun. Well... I look back and I'm pretty sure I'll run it again next year, but at the time it was not fun ;-)

I haven't thrown up in a marathon, but I have during mile repeats before. Just get it done and push on...

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

I've thrown up in 5 K's, and I've even done it in a 20 K (oddly enough, at the 5 K mark). While I've never actually thrown up during/after a marathon, there have been times where yes, I feel that familiar knot forming. That usually means I've been pushing the pace a little too hard to sustain, so I generally just back things off a little till it goes away. Also, I have sinuses that seem to take pleasure in draining down the back of my throat, which will cause me to gag and dry heave in a race. That's almost as much fun as actually vomiting.
            I have not come close to running a marathon, yet! However, I have thrown up afterwards at couple races mainly because I was dehydrated. I don't like puking, but a lot of times I feel better once I've gotten the junk out.

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have only actually puked once racing. Right after a 15k with a furious kick. But I have dry-heaved so many times during/after short races and interval workouts that it's not even funny. I consider DHT (dry heave threshold) to be a key training variable. If I'm doing hard repeat 800s or miles, I expect to pay the ferryman for a ride across the River Hurl on that last rep. If I don't, I assume I didn't run it hard enough. Tongue BTW, we had a guy on our track team who was like a spewing stopwatch. When he ran the 800m, it was a certainty that: a) if he blew chunks afterward, he ran under 2 minutes b) if he didn't honk, his time was 2:0x

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks so much for all the input!! It really helps to see what other people do. Larakin/Modal, i'm really going to try to hydrate well in the days leading up to the race. Hopefully, that will help hold it off for most of the race. I've been reading that dehydration can be a cause so maybe that's part of my problem. Scout7, that doesn't sound like fun at all! My issue usually starts with heartburn and progresses from there. Blaine, I've almost hit VT during track workouts. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I've always been embarrassed about the possibility of throwing up in public. After I saw an ASU swimmer upchuck into a trash can after a one mile freestyle race, it didn't seem so bad. (Course, I was in the stands watching.) Jeff, your post cracked me up! I can't believe your teammate was that consistent that he would hurl whenever his repeats were < 2:00! then again, i can't believe that you don't consider it a hard enough workout if you don't hurl. i guess that means i'm going to have to try to suck it up come race time if i start getting nauseous. 2:00!="" then="" again,="" i="" can't="" believe="" that="" you="" don't="" consider="" it="" a="" hard="" enough="" workout="" if="" you="" don't="" hurl.="" i="" guess="" that="" means="" i'm="" going="" to="" have="" to="" try="" to="" suck="" it="" up="" come="" race="" time="" if="" i="" start="" getting=""></ 2:00! then again, i can't believe that you don't consider it a hard enough workout if you don't hurl. i guess that means i'm going to have to try to suck it up come race time if i start getting nauseous.>
                  I puked at the end of the Va Beach Rock and Roll Half (it actually felt really good).
                  Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I've always been embarrassed about the possibility of throwing up in public.
                  No worries, girlie!
                  2009: BQ?