Is there any benefit to being 5 lbs lighter for Marathon (Read 740 times)

I'm not overweight by any stretch, could always be 5 lbs lighter or so. I was thinking that it would help some small amount to try and get rid of that stubborn 5 before the marathon. Physically, I don't think it has any real performance merit except that I have 5 less lbs to carry. Silly idea? Sam

#artbydmcbride

I think it would definitely be better; less weight to carry around and better muscle to fat ratio. The problem is how to get it off. If you could use magic that would be ideal. Dieting while ramping up mileage in your training could get iffy. Avoid anemia, vitamin deficiency and give your body the fuel it needs, but hey cut out the empty calories by all means. (gasp, even beer!) Big grin

Runners run

xor

What ilene said. ilene is wise. Less weight is generally goodness when it comes to running a marathon; losing weight while training for a marathon is tricky business though... you need fuel. Oh yeah:
        The problem is how to get it off.
        <michael> That's what ilene said.</michael>

I go pretty much with what the others have said. Lighter is better if you can take it off gradually. However, you defintiely do not want to starve yourself before a marthon.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Prince of Fatness

I (gasp, even beer!) Big grin
            Bite your tongue! Seriously, slow and steady is the way to go with the weight loss. I dropped 20 or so pounds in the last year and a half, but never more than 3-4 pounds in a month. It's been so gradual that only people that I see infrequently notice. I've only run one marathon, but I remember being very, very, hungry while training for it.

Not at it at all. 

I'm not overweight by any stretch, could always be 5 lbs lighter or so. I was thinking that it would help some small amount to try and get rid of that stubborn 5 before the marathon. Physically, I don't think it has any real performance merit except that I have 5 less lbs to carry. Silly idea? Sam
              Using your current 5K PR, and the stats listed in your profile, Daniel's would predict a drop from a 4:40 marathon to a 4:31 simply by losing 5 pounds, all other things being equal. Its just a prediction, and your experiences may vary, but weight does have a significant influence on times when looking at a race as long as a marathon. There's a reason why elite athletes suffer through races in super-light racing flats ... even those few ounces saved add up. But as warned above, if you lose the weight at the expense of muscle mass, quality training, excess fatigue, dehydration, etc., then you will not experience the benefits.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

obsessor

the old adage "a pound is a minute" for the marathon has been very true for me. Lose too fast or too much, and you will get weak, sick, and slow.
                  (gasp, even beer!)
                  This. Is. Crazy. Talk.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

thanks for the advice. I can certainly elimate some of the less healthy choice I make for the next 7 weeks if it will male it even a smidge easier to cross that marathon finish line!

A Saucy Wench

yup, why I am NOT happy about the weight I put on in august. Stupid self sabotaging.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7