LA Marathon - a tragedy on the horizon? (Read 1165 times)

#artbydmcbride

very punny Big grin

Runners run

That is craziness. Sorta like the Tupelo, MS marathon in August. At least that one starts when it is still dark. I am glad I never thought about running LA!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

LA is likely doomed to suck. At least they are back on the old course an have and early start (7:20 AM). The race used to start at 8:30 or 9:00. Another HUGE LA problem has been their unwillingness to put in a start corral system. In the past they have offered a sub 4 hour corral, but you have to submit proof (and thus sign up) really early. Other than that, it is a mess of a free for all, will 7+ hour walkers lining up 1 minute off the gun. Props to anyone who walks 26.2, but if you line up in the front, you are going to get passed by 15,000 runners. Weather will of course be the big wildcard. It will be interesting to see if people are going to do LA or SD RnR a few days later. Yes, I do understand that the Maniacs will be doing both...
        MM# 1477
        xor

Yes, I do understand that the Maniacs will be doing both...
          Not me, my man, not me.

Oh, for goodness sakes. There are many reasons to hate the LA marathon, but the avg high in May is mid-70s. Typically its cloudy in the morning ("June gloom") and it's dry. It's also a heinous route for a naturally ugly city.

#artbydmcbride

And last year mid May weather was in the 90s. Smile

Runners run

Who ever said marathons were supposed to be easy? One more obstacle should just add to the local color. The finishers will appreciate their accomplishment more! Smile

#artbydmcbride

OOoo, will you run it, Hippo? Smile

Runners run

MrH

Oh, for goodness sakes. There are many reasons to hate the LA marathon, but the avg high in May is mid-70s.
                    It depends on how much of a 'sense of humor' that the local emergency services have. With thousands of runners unprepared for the heat, and a realistic chance of temperatures in the 90s, there's a real risk that the emergency services may decide enough is enough after the first X participants need treatment and stop the race. They have done so when exceptionally warm conditions hit track meets in Florida and the Carolinas, for example. If I was the event organizer I wouldn't take that risk.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Jazz hands!

Oh, for goodness sakes. There are many reasons to hate the LA marathon, but the avg high in May is mid-70s. Typically its cloudy in the morning ("June gloom") and it's dry. It's also a heinous route for a naturally ugly city.
                      Hey, I like LA. The reason to like the LA marathon (which I've never run and have no intention of running), is they have way awesome billboards. I really wanted a poster of some of last year's--especially the "run, Hollywood, run!" poster (mainly because I lived in Hollywood at the time). But since someone else owns it now, who knows whether the ads will be any good.
                      run run run AHHHHHH run run run

jules2

Airline fares are very low right now, you can find amazing deals! Come on out Jules2, and bring the budgies for some beach weather.
                        Your immigration said the birds are OK for entry but they want to put me in quarantine

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

MrH

Your immigration said the birds are OK for entry but they want to put me in quarantine
                          The risk of foot and mouth disease is a real concern you know. Don't be claiming that you don't have cloven hooves either.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

The high could very well be the average- in the mid-70's- but that is in the shade! Running on the pavement on this course with absolutely no shade? With the California sun beating on you, and heating the pavement? That will feel like it is 100 degrees out. If its 90 on the day of the race, that will feel like 110+! June gloom usually burns off by 10am. If you are a 4hr+ marathoner, its gonna be hot!

#artbydmcbride

Mad Cow? Undecided

Runners run

xor

The risk of foot and mouth disease is a real concern you know. Don't be claiming that you don't have cloven hooves either.
                                I could go for the camel toe joke here, but that would be gauche.