Hermes 10 miler RR (Read 356 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hermes 10 miler -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Short version: 1:18:50.64 official time AG 15/80 Overall 156/959 The best race I've ever run. I ran smart and hard. I wanted to break 1:20 and I thought I could but wasn't sure. I planned on starting around 8:20ish for mile 1 then about an 8:10 or so for mile two then settle in for 8 minute miles and just hold on the best I could. Mile 1: 8:15 right on target. The crowd (nearly 1000 runners) helps me to reign myself in. Mile 2: 8:01 just about perfect. I feel pretty good at this point and wonder if I've underestimated myself. It's early, I decide to stick to plan. If there's something left over later, I'll throw down a brutal last few miles. Miles 3-5: 7:56, 7:57 and 7:56. When I finish mile 4 I decide it's ok to throw in a few surges here and there. It was pretty breezy and I found myself settling in with a pack for a bit then surging ahead spending a little time along then catching and running with the next pack. Mile 6: 7:55 I don't think the last few miles are going to be anything special. Hold on, don't let my pace bleed out. It's pretty tough at this point. Just hold on. Mile 7: 7:57 after relaxing half way through mile seven I figure with 2.5 to go I can take some chances. I surge and hold a few times. It's really tough at this point but I think I've got something left. Mile 8: 7:48 unleash the fury. Oh, and hold on for just a while longer. Mile 9: 7:47 I know I've broken 1:20 and my body is screaming for me to ease up and be happy with that. I'm just holding on, trying to see what I've got. I've been trying to acclimate myself to racing pain. I tell myself I showed up so I would feel like this. Mile 10: 7:36 I have no kick to speak of. It's just not something I've developed yet. A strong push and I'm done. Lessons learned and some things I noticed: I had an awesome race. This was a big confidence booster for Bayshore. I found that as I work my way up from the back of the pack, I can work with other runners more as I race. Towards the back of the pack, late in the race many people are really sucking wind the last section, but that wasn't my experience this time. We surged as a group and there was energy in the collective that I have never experienced before. I had always raced against myself and the clock, but now I try and pick off specific people during the race. I had always been reluctant to do that because I was afraid I would spend too much energy trying to drop someone way better than me. However I've found that if I've started off smart, passing people creates an energy that more than makes up for the energy expended in passing.
      Good Job ... I was at that race. What part of Cleveland are you from? I am an Eastsider (Mentor).

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Wow, Mr. Inertia. That's big. You just went 10 miles at close to your 5k PR pace from only a couple months ago. Those miles you've been putting in recently are just beginning to work their magic. I can see lots more improvement from here. Man, are you ever going to knock the stuffing out of that marathon PR at Bayhore. Nice work!
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Kimmie

Wow , Mr. I- what a great race!!!! good for you!! I know it feels great to race well. You have to be psyched now.